New Cowon Iaudio Mp3 Player or Old? Illegal to make loud Mp3 players?
May 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Basketballer

New Head-Fier
I sent in my U5 8GB for repair I love it and think is the best mp3 player ever.  However, it may be considered outdated to many as it came out in 2008.

They want to charge me $77 to fix it.  For another $18 I can get a Iaudio 9 8GB. or for $60 more I can get the Iaudio 10 16GB.

What I really liked about the U5 is it had a strong amp, and put out 32mW of power vs the 30mW for the iAudio9 and the 28.5mW of the iAudio 10.

I had the Iaudio 5, which was 26mW and the U3, which was 28mW and my U5 got a lot louder and sounded a lot better at higher volumes than the previous versions.  Thats why I'm skeptical of getting a newer player. 

I wonder, do they not make or are not allowed to make these players as loud anymore because of ear hearing safety reasons? 

May 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

Players made and/or marketed in EU must have their volumes limited via software or hardware to a specific db output. It's part of their "standard" I guess. Still most players reach a good amount of "loudness". I have used Archos players for a long time now and I don't really mind the volume "cap". You might suffer if you have high impedance headphones but if you do, you should be using an amp anyway! :wink:

Regarding those players you mentioned, I've only had (and is my main player) the Cowon C2. Volume is good with the headphones I normally use (Ultrasone Signature Pro/Dj, M-Audio Q40, etc.). Still I usually use an amp anyway so I don't really mind if they are "capped" or not.

BTW, $77 for a fix I believe it's a bit steep... you'd probably be better with one of their new iAudio players BUT I haven't had first hand experience with them so, take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

Very best,

May 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 4
They've been trying to pass laws for something similar here in the United States for safety reasons due to so many pedestrains getting hit by oncoming traffic. Hopefully they just create a loudness switch limiting volume that can be used while outside then go back to listening at any volume level when home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back