new consumer reports home headphone ratings!
Oct 3, 2002 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Steve999

smooth, DARK
I am not making this up!!!!

Just got my new consumer reports in the mail today. They tested 11 models of normal home headphones. To summarize:

The walk-away winner: Sennheiser HD570 (borderline excellent)

tied for 2nd: Sony MDR-CD180 and Sony MDR-V700DJ (borderline very good)

more or less tied for 3rd ("good"):
Jensen JF40
Koss Pro 4AA
Koss TD80
Panasonic RP-HT355
Sennheiser HD433
Sony MDR-V600

tied for last ("fair"):
Aiwa HP-X222
RadioShack 33-1159

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 76
Their selection choice in that headphone competition matches Fox's Celebrity Boxing.

What is the best has-been, never-was, chump headphone.

Oct 3, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 76
So, my issue(or, rather, my dad's) issue of Consumer Report came today, proclaiming a "13 Page Audio section"! I knew that their new headphones reviews would be making an apearance. So? Well, they listed Wired and wireless headphones. Guess what was rated in first place? Sennheiser hd570s!

Then, 2nd place, the cr best buy, sony cd180s
3. Sony v700
8. Senn hd433
9. Sony v600

frown.gif

They're at it again. This is a VERY interesting review though. For the Senn 570s, they said "Emphasized bass and midtreble, reduced upper midrange and low treble." Even MORE interestingly, they listed headroom as a vendor!
eek.gif
This really confused me. Anyone spending any amount of time at headroom would know that they the above are NOT recommended. The best part? The best headphones they've reviewed are sony v6s, which they reviewed YEARS ago, iirc.

Its pretty obvious what they've done. They basically went to best buy/your favorite mass market electronics store, and bought every headphone there.
frown.gif
I'm about to write them a letter. . .

Oh, they also did speakers. Bose 301 got second place, ahead of PSB image 2bs. . .

Oct 3, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 76
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you want a decent toaster, Consumer Reports can help. For car repair histories, they've got you covered. But if you have any desire to get good audio equipment, stay as FAR away from Consumer Reports as is humanly possible.

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 76
Wow, eight of the tested 11 phones were closed, no Sennheiser HD497s (a mass market headphone), no Grado SR 60s or SR80s, no MDR-V6s... truly, they could have done a lot better. Given what they tested and what they said, the results look plausible to me though.

The consumer reports article has piqued my interest in the Sennheiser HD 570s and the Sony MDR-CD180s. I've never heard either -- how good or bad are these, has anyone heard them or does anyone own them?

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 76
The MDR-V600's didn't rank as badly as I had made them out to be - though, meh, still pretty mediocre. And I am surprised to see one of Magicthyse's favorite headphones (the MDR-V700DJ's) fare better than we've made them out to be.

And the HD 570 - though top-rated by that CR mag - ranks as just middling by the folks at Headroom.

Oct 4, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you want a decent toaster, Consumer Reports can help. For car repair histories, they've got you covered. But if you have any desire to get good audio equipment, stay as FAR away from Consumer Reports as is humanly possible.

Bull's eye Mac !

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

I often (o.k., not often, but when the subject comes up) wonder about this. Why would they suddenly be knowledgeable about toasters and washing machines if they seem to know very little about audio? If judgement is flawed for one, why not the other? Possibly because it's easier to determine whether a washing machine works well or not (clean clothes are clean clothes, right?) because there appears to be little that is subjective in determining just how well a washing machine or toaster works. However, for subjects that require judgement to determine how well they do their intended job, the "washing machine" model does not work (no pun intended).

Just a thought the next time you're looking to buy a 'fridge. . . .

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 76
I have to agree with FCJ. Macdef: I've never relied on CU to give me info on audio gear. I have you guys for that.
biggrin.gif
Oh, and audio asylum, and stereophile, and any number of DEDICATED sources. Personally, I don't care if something is "easy to use." I want it to be GOOD.

Same thing goes for other things in CR. Sure, reliability records may be good. But I'll go to many other sources before I buy a car they recommend.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 76
Long live Consumer Reports and Bose!!! ... whoa!!1 Did I just say that?? Ok, time for self-flogging.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 76
I don't see that these test results were so bad. I think it was the selection of products that was horrible. After all, many years ago, the MDR-V6s topped their testing hands-down, before they became the classic headphone they are now. Maybe product selection for testing is a judgment, I suppose, and their judgment was indeed poor in this regard. Maybe it's a lack of knowledge or expertise of the field. They certainly missed an opportunity to really do something that would help their readers in finding great headphones by offering such a mediocre sampling. It really does detract from the value of the report, no matter how valid the test results.
confused.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 76
Wow, that's a shame. Some twenty-five years ago, CR's recommendations for low-end hi-fi systems served as the basis for my first "system", which performed quite well thru high-school and college:

Dual turntable
Rotel receiver
EPI 100 speakers

I sold it at one point when I needed cash, and still regret it to this day. Seems like CR is riding the wave of their past reputation, but has really gone downhill. Definitely mass consumer oriented. It's a shame.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 76
My favorite part? The fact that bose speakers are rated so highly this time. Anyone remember what happened a few years ago with CU and bose?
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I have to agree with FCJ. Macdef: I've never relied on CU to give me info on audio gear. I have you guys for that.
biggrin.gif
Oh, and audio asylum, and stereophile, and any number of DEDICATED sources. Personally, I don't care if something is "easy to use." I want it to be GOOD.

Same thing goes for other things in CR. Sure, reliability records may be good. But I'll go to many other sources before I buy a car they recommend.

It's a perception issue. CR is known (and based on my experiences, rightly so) for their car reviews and basic "consumer goods" reviews. However, when anyone relies on any one source to be a "jack-of-all-trades" they turn into a "master-of-none."

In other words, if I need audio advice, I second andrzejpw's recommendations. However, I don't think I would use any of those sources to help me determine what type of lawnmower to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back