new computer with 0404
Jan 11, 2005 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i've jumped on the bandwagon. i've ordered parts for my basic computer with emu 0404. right now i have the sonic impact t-amp and axiom m3ti speakers connected with home depot extension cord
smily_headphones1.gif
the connector on the t-amp is a 1/8th input. what do i need to connect the emu to the amp? a rca to 1/8 cable?

also, what about headphones. i'd like a budget setup. thinking something like headsave go-vibe and grado sr60. then i could use the head-amp in a portable setup as well. thoughts? i have koss portapros right now, and i'm considering a dap.

thanks. it's been a long time coming, and it's because of the help of you guys here that i finally got my stuff.

here's a basic list of my word processing/internet surfing/music playing pc

amd duron 1.6ghz
512mb 3200 roswell ram
samsung 80gb hd (i'll have about 30gb music in flac right now)
emu 0404
pc chips mobo (good reviews and on sale, pc chips haters
frown.gif
) with onboard video
evercase (reviewed on silentpcreview)
1 zalman 80mm case fan
speeze whisperrock 2 cpu cooler

and the list goes on

thoughts: do i need more than one case fan?

i broke down and bought windows xp. was considering linux.
frown.gif
it was the emu card especially that pushed me over the edge.

this is my first comp build, so i'm going to take it slow and ask lots of questions on different forums to make sure i don't screw anything up

thanks everyone

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 32
by the way, i can still return anything, and i will have to with at least one item, so if you think i've made a mistake, or could do better, please let me know. i'm basically going on reviews and advice here, as this is my first system build. thanks everyone.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 32
Well, the duron is definitely getting long in the tooth. What's your budget for this computer?

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 32
There is no reason to get a duron, sempron are the better budget CPU, what is your budget we can help you a lot, i'd scrap everything you have so far :p

Also, look at the E-MU... you need 1/4" -> RCA to connect it.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 32
I wouldn't be as harsh as Asmo...personally I too would pick completely different components, but there's nothing *wrong* with the ones you have AFAIK (never heard of the Evercase). Personally I also would go with a Sempron CPU. I'd get a Panaflo L1A for the case fan if you can find one, or a Vantec Stealth if not...but the Zalman case fan is one of the very few I've never owned, so I can't say it stinks or anything, it may well be fine
smily_headphones1.gif
. No, you absolutely don't need more than one case fan.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 32
I browse here often (even if I don't post much) and I have a pretty good technical knowledge of pc building, so feel free to post with any issues that arise. Good luck.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i've jumped on the bandwagon. i've ordered parts for my basic computer with emu 0404. right now i have the sonic impact t-amp and axiom m3ti speakers connected with home depot extension cord
smily_headphones1.gif
the connector on the t-amp is a 1/8th input. what do i need to connect the emu to the amp? a rca to 1/8 cable?

It's a 2x1/4" -> 1/8" y-adapter you're looking for. I just bought the same cable to connect my 0404 to my PCMKII. I recommend either of these from Sweetwater. I was very impressed with their service.
1 meter
3 meter

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 32
You could actually use a headamp as a preamp - just have two 1/4 to rca cables running from your 1/4 dual mono 0404 analog outs to your rca input of the headphone amp (whatever that may be). Then get a 1/4 to 1/8 cable to go from the headphone out to the line in of the sonic amp. that way, to switch from headphones to speakers, you'd just have to unplug the line out cable from the headphone out, and plug in your Grado SR60! The good thing about this is that you could just buy a normal rca to rca interconnect, then get some rat shack 1/4 to rca adapters. this way in the future you can reuse the interconnects for a number of diff configurations. same with the 1/4 to 1/8 cable - if you just get a mini to mini cable and get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter from rat shack, that cable will find many uses elsewhere in the future.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 32
i think you guys are right. i'll do some rethinking. hummm..... and by the way, i have a 300w seasonic super silencer psu right now, so i don't think anyone would argue that that's a good psu, right?

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 32
350 in mine, way more than the system needs, but it came with the case. The system you're building would probably be happy with 200
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back