New computer driving me crazy
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

i_love_hina

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

So recently I built a new computer.  I've begun noticing a subtle but very annoying skip every now and then when listening to music.  It's not even really a skip, but it's like a small skip with a crackle.  At first I thought it was a bad recording, but I've been noticing it on songs I'm familiar with also.  Anyway, I have absolutely no clue what's causing it.  I thought it was the optical output at first, but I tried plugging my headphones directly into the front audio port and I still hear it every so often.  I don't think it's the drivers either because I've tried both updating the Realtek drivers and uninstalling it as well.  I'm using optical out to a Zero DAC.  If I go into the sound settings in control panel and play a quick test .wav, I can hear the crackle occur once ever two or three times.

I've been thinking, and really the only thing that makes sense is it's the onboard sound doing it.  But I thought the DAC was supposed to bypass the onboard?  Is there something I need to do?

OP here, nvm I figured it out:
For some inexplicable reason my GTX460 came with audio drivers.  Four audio drivers.  Which was fking up my crap.  I disabled them all and it seems okay now.  SO, for posterity:  Disable any audio drivers that your video card decides to impose on you.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the update that's something I'll file away in my mind for later. I assume the 460 has HDMI-out  ports then? Or  those drivers were just for in-game enhancements.... Always good to figure this stuff out it always seems to come in handy sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back