New CDP a Very Difficult Decision! Advice
Apr 18, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Like which ones Kuma? The meridians?

A few suggested by the original posters. I am not certain they are truly balanced.

I've tried few Merdians in the past and did use the XRL I/O but i can't recall if they were fully balanced or not internally.

It's a home work for him.
tongue.gif

Altho, some gear do sound better when you run it with XLRs ( Krell/Ayre et all ), but I think the balance connection is rather overrated and I would pick players based on actual listening in my rig and determine what works. ( rather than eliminating good candidates before hand soley based on the topology )

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
A few suggested by the original posters. I am not certain they are truly balanced.

I've tried few Merdians in the past and did use the XRL I/O but i can't recall if they were fully balanced or not internally.

It's a home work for him.
tongue.gif

Altho, some gear do sound better when you run it with XLRs ( Krell/Ayre et all ), but I think the balance connection is rather overrated and I would pick players based on actual listening in my rig and determine what works. ( rather than eliminating good candidates before hand soley based on the topology )

I understand what you are saying about listening to it. It seems that some players even are just as good if not better using RCA's.

The only benefit I can think of using XLR connections would be if there was a large distance involved in say a cdp to an amp which was seperated by 5m or more.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 44
If you need balanced outputs, why not get a less expensive CDP with an optical out and get something like the Benchmark DAC-1, which does have balanced output? That would dramatically expand your choice of CDPs.

Personally, if I had that budget, I'd get the DAC-1 and spend the rest on a dedicated music server. Heck, you could toss 2 terabytes of storage in RAID 5 in there and rip a very large collection in lossless.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #20 of 44
How about a pre-owned Audio Research CD3MkII?
They go for about $3k from what I've seen, and they are very musical players. And Audio Research is outstanding if it would ever need service, so no worries about buying pre-owned.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

If you need balanced outputs, why not get a less expensive CDP with an optical out and get something like the Benchmark DAC-1, which does have balanced output?

Is the Benchmark dual differential design?
Having a set of XLR does not mean the signals are kept separate from input to output.

The reason he wants a truly balanced source is that he can keep the singnal balanced from the top to bottom. ( I am assuming Gilmore amp is dual differential design as Krell )

A 4K$ is a lot of money to blow, so he should listen as much as he can. ( altho, if he's using a ***** source, I guess anything in this price range should do )
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 44
Cary 303/300 is $4000 new. If you buy used from Audiogon you can get that CD player and a 120volt PS Audio P300 Power Plant for less than that. A transformer gives too much distortion and makes it sound worse, while the Power Plant makes it sound better, however, for the Cary it makes a small difference, but you can use the Power Plant for your amp too...

You could also get Benchmark DAC-1, it's a great little source!

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 44
I see that you are already considering the resolution audio Opus 21 and I think that would be a good choice. I've had mine for a month or so now and it has all the PRaT and musicality you could want while still being a highly resolving and transparent player.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #25 of 44
I am very interested in the Resolution Audio Opus 21, the dealer I am talking to has a used one for £2200 nearly $4,000. USA versions of the player sell for about $2500 second hand on audiogon, which when compared to the UK price it is a serious price hike for what is essentially the same product bar the voltage difference. Is the Naim route a viable option? Are balanced outs overrated? I would just love to drive to Dublin when I get paid and get what I need hassle free from the Naim dealership.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 44
I am very interested in the Resolution Audio Opus 21, the dealer I am talking to has a used one for £2200 nearly $4,000. USA versions of the player sell for about $2500 second hand on audiogon, which when compared to the UK price it is a serious price hike for what is essentially the same product bar the voltage difference. Is the Naim route a viable option? Are balanced outs overrated? I would just love to drive to Dublin when I get paid and get what I need hassle free from the Naim dealership.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #27 of 44

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 44

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #30 of 44
Welly's post about the Ayre piqued my interest in the Ayre CX-7e. I've seen them for $2000-2300 on Audiogon. Their universal is getting some high praise as well. Also, take a look at the Bel canto PL-1A. Certainly looks the part and is also getting some good pub.

I'm in the same boat(balanced and great redbook) and same price range(4-5K). Tons of choices but to spend that much scratch without hearing makes me very, very nervous. I'm also looking at the Krell and Cary lines. Hope folks will keep the suggestions coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back