New Cary CDP (303T SACD Pro)
Sep 21, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
looks pretty cool

=================

Quote:

CD 303T SACD Professional Version

The CD 303T SACD is a vacuum tube/solid state selectable SACD player. Plays Redbook CDs and upsamples at 44.1, 96, 192, 384, 512, and 768kHz. Internal clocking of 22.5792 MHz in SACD processing mode. In vacuum tube mode, the analog output section utilizes four 12AU7 vacuum tubes as the audio gain stage as well as the output buffer. Can be used as a standalone DAC with switchable inputs for USB (24 bit 192 kHz), RCA, and Toslink. Eight (8) PCM1792u DAC chips running in parallel pairs. The output vacuum tubes have a removable panel above them for tube exchange or ‘tube rolling’ without opening the chassis.

Additional features of this player include adjustable metal cone feet, and vacuum tube and solid state output sections that can be changed through the remote or by a button on the front panel. Other enhancements include a dimmer light control for the display, C-core power transformer, fully regulated power supplies, RS 232 port control for custom installation systems, and HDCD decoding with Cary DSP-300 digital filter. Available with silver or black anodized aluminum front panel.

CD303TSACD_front_800.jpg

CD303TSACD_topopen_800.jpg

Cary Audio Design - CD 303T SACD Pro - Professional SACD Player

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 32
Agreed. I wonder how it sounds compared to the 306 Pro?

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 32
Are SACDs still being made? I thought it kind of went by the wayside already.

If it's a new product, it seems silly to me for Cary to have done that. I'm sure it sounds fine with Red Book CDs; however, I think the money would be better spent purchasing a digital playback system aimed at making Red Book sound its best.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are SACDs still being made? I thought it kind of went by the wayside already....

Unfortunately SACD is dead and it's the biggest mistake in the history of audio industry.
Only a few labels still make DSD recordings.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately SACD is dead and it's the biggest mistake in the history of audio industry.

No arguments about SACD's, but the BIGGEST mistake eVAR would be the 16bit/44.1kHz redbook format IMO
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 32
SACD is alive and well. The rumor that it's dead has been around for 10 years now. Funny how something can be dead but still alive and functioning for over a decade, but I digress. It won't be mainstream. But nothing we buy is mainstream, so....

I have a Cary 308T and think they make great front ends. They definitely have a house sound, but this one looks pretty solid (read:expensive) I found this news on another forum, and it reminded me I need to put my Cary up for sale. I forgot that I still had it
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 32
i don't think SACD is dead. in fact for classical, it seems to be growing. i do think that hi-rez downloads will gain in popularity (slowly though) but don't necessarily see this as replacing SACD just yet. also, if you want a company that just focuses on redbook, the name is meridian.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 32
Yeah, I tend to believe that SACD is far from dead, especially for classical. It tends to make strings more human.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 32
Yes indeed, some new jazz SACDs coming - classic Blue Notes mastered by Steve Hoffman - I believe, via Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions?

The Cary could well come in handy for well-heeled jazz fans.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 32
I've never been all to convinced about the merits of SACD/DVD-A. For starters, I rarely heard SACD/DVD-A players sound better than similarly specced Redbook players, especially those that can do HDCD. Secondly, Heavy Metal is all but non-existent on these so-called "Hi rez" formats. Finally, and here's the clincher, vinyl still beats out all digital formats anyway.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 32
Blue Note, again!?!? Just how many times can they re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release the same catalog? Who gets the money from these? Does it go to the artists' estate (as most have passed), or does it stay with the company?

As for the recordings sounding better on vinyl, I don't necessarily agree. There have been many crappy recordings (sound quality-wise) in the vinyl format, too. And the CD's are so damn convenient and easier to store and move and upload onto the computer and etcetera.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 32
IMO - vinyl sounds better than DVD-A which sounds better than SACD which sounds better than HDCD which sounds better than redbook.

Master tapes sound better than all the above.

I'd imagine the Cary sounding very solid on redbook. It's not just for SACD, so that would just be a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back