New Cans for home.
Nov 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Devolve

Head-Fier
So I just recently finished my budget portable setup(SR80, PA2V2, Ipod classic/zune120) and i was looking into getting something for home use. My setup will be something along the lines of:
PC->DAC->Millet starving student/LD MK-II->cans

I really love the sound of my SR80's but as you all know, they get a little uncomfortable after about an hour or so. I'd like something that covers(circumaural?). I listen to anything from metal/metal core to radiohead, the mars volta, beck so i need something with sr80 level bass at least but it has to be able to keep up with fast double-bass without muffling. Keep in mind I might be getting into vinyl later on, I don't know if this will effect suggestions at all but i thought i'd mention it.

Oh, and most importantly, the budget. ~450CAD I might be able to stretch a little farther so don't be shy to suggest something a little more pricey. I hope I gave all of the right info, thanks in advance.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 12
Spend as much as you can on your DAC, you won't be disappointed. For budget circumaural cans, I like the Equation RP21, HD580 (maybe you could get a pair used), HD555 is decent, or maybe a certain AudioTechnica would be a good fit. I think the LD MK-II would be a good amp to start with, it supports multiple impedences too.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Sennheiser 600 or 650, Denon 2000 or 5000. I'd even suggest Grado 325i's. But if comfort is a consideration, I might check out Sennheiser or Denon. Sony makes some comfortable decent cans, but you'd have to ask around as I'm not too familiar with this brand.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 12
I've been looking at the K701's, does anyone know how they are with the kind of music i listen to?

Also, i wish i could be comfortable with grados, the 325i i've actually heard and are amazing, though a little bright.

Finally, I was under the impression senn's were bad for fast music, i guess i was wrong, i'll def. take them into consideration.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Anyone have any input on the K701's for my application?

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 12
No experience with K701. For strong bass, look for closed cans like Denon D2000, Ultrasone HFI-780 or Beyerdynamics DT770. These are definitely cans that are much more comfortable than the SR80 too!

I can personally vouch for the comfort that a DT770 offer. I strap it on for hours without any irritation.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the help so far. So far i'm looking at the HD600's and the DT990's. How do the Terminator V4 and darth beyer's from headphile compare?

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any input on the K701's for my application?

The K701s are extremely comfortable and to me sound great with every kind of music I've thrown at them... they have excellent PRAT and deliver bass as deep as I could want...

All that said (I really love the K701), I've heard people say they are lean in the bass... IMO, they are accurate - so bass is as deep as it should be, without being boomy or overemphasized.... Since I haven't heard the Grados I can't compare bass performance...

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 12
[size=xx-small]that's what I head about k271s, they are not bass-shy, they are accurate... could be but I didn't like it... it did sound good with almost all other sounds, sounded very intimate with quiet music[/size]

325i will do great with your music, bass goes deep, fast tight without overpowering the rest, and welll... you have the sr80 so you know grado
tongue.gif

I also really enjoy my hd650 with all kinds of music, including slayer/opeth/marsvolta. it does not sound as fast as the grado's but the sounds is great, gives it more of an airy/atmospherey sound. really to dream away with. really comfortable too.
If you want the best of both worlds, I'd look at AT, esw10 fall in right between, speed/bass of grado but more smooth like hd650. sure other models fit in the price-range and sound somewhat similar (or jump to ad2000)

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Get the HD414 pads. They're a lot more comfortable than the bowls and if you like them that leaves you with a lot more money for a DAC and amp.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Hmm, I might have to risk it and settle for the 325i, i know that will sound the best for my needs, minus the comfort. I will definitely look into the ESW10's too. Too bad nobody carries them around here so i could listen to them.

How are the RS2s compared to the 325is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back