New Cans for Fashion?
Jul 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TDRKZ

100+ Head-Fier
WARNING
Extremely obscure request. Those who don't know what is going on in the minds of the youth beware.

I was speaking with a friend about headphones and while he's more of a speaker type of guy (nothing too hifi though) I managed to convince him into wanting a pair of headphones as well. He had spoken with his sister (fashion designer) and found that full sized cans were in fashion (huh?). While I guess I'm still a young'n technically, I do not care much for fashion nor have I ever seen anyone consider a full set of cans in fashion, but apparently high schoolers seem to like the idea now.

I continue now to the part where I ask headfi for their infinite wisdom in fashion and fads >_< as well as some sonic requests.

Other than the hipness factor.

-The price range is < $100
-Most likely closed because he plans to use them as portables though if there is something that can make him want to use open over his 5.1 system even better
-He DOESN'T care about bass
-Wants outstanding treble and good vocals without sibilance

Other Information
+Tastes in music are Jpop/rock mainly
+MAY possibly use for gaming and movies (if he prefers over his speaker system)
+Source is computer/laptop (aka not good) and possibly a new mp3 he's planning on purchasing
+Most of his music is in 320bitrate mp3

I would just tell him to get some ad700s as I find them lovely for what he wants, they definitely fail in the fashion department (Though I think the overall gaudiness adds a lot of appeal, but that's just me). Let the recommendations and fashion rationalizations begin!

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 19
Ideal choice is ATH-ES7, but at best it's 20$ too expensive.

The Denon AHD1000/AHD1001 looks decent, and many seem to think that the Panasonic RP-HTX7 has good hipness factor.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 19
Stretch the budget and get the ATH-ES7. Most stylish looking headphone in existence.

Although what about these ATH-SQ5_Portable Headphones - they look awful to me, but I am assured by school students (in Japan) that they are hyperfashionable. I think they have had adequate reviews here as regards to SQ as well.
popup_image.php

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't quite get this current obsession with headphones having to look good as part of the purchase requirements...

Anyway, they're open, but a set of Grado SR80s seem like they'd fit pretty well. They have good mids and highs, a very "active" sound, and I guess they could be considered fashionable in a sort of retro way. They're also said to be very good for rock, due to their ability to handle speed well.

I've seen a few sets in the FS forum recently, and I think there's a pair for $75 shipped up right now. Had I the money, I'd have bought them, but I need to curtail my headphone purchasing habits as it's starting to bite the wallet a little too hard.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 19
If your friend likes Jpop he will definitely like the above mentioned ATs. It seems there's is some sort of recent headphone craze in Japan where a lot of headphones appear in music videos.

For example the ATH-ON3s appear in YUI's Summer Song PV.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 19
Thumbs up for ATH-ES7 too!!
Loving the shine, but may not feel too comfortable on some individuals.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 19
LOL...kids these days, with their newfangled ideas and iPhones. What's next? Ring tones you can't hear? Watches without hands? Boys wearing girls' pants? EYELINER? Oh, wait...

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Save a soul, recommend the Koss KSC75. Amazing sound, ugly headphones = not stolen at high school.

That or skull candy, but beware not to log on to head-fi again after that unless you enjoy being tar'd and feathered.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite get this current obsession with headphones having to look good as part of the purchase requirements...

Anyway, they're open, but a set of Grado SR80s seem like they'd fit pretty well. They have good mids and highs, a very "active" sound, and I guess they could be considered fashionable in a sort of retro way. They're also said to be very good for rock, due to their ability to handle speed well.

I've seen a few sets in the FS forum recently, and I think there's a pair for $75 shipped up right now. Had I the money, I'd have bought them, but I need to curtail my headphone purchasing habits as it's starting to bite the wallet a little too hard.

While, these are for my friend. The sr80 has way too much sibilence. Furthermore, the the mids seemed nonexistnat because the highs were too sharp/harsh.

PS. He is a college student. Not a high schooler.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 19
You should hear the Sr80's on my SoundCard with my Millet tube amp right now, playing classic jazz.
Sounds incredible for the price i paid for everything, and no siblance that i can hear right now.
Of course on other equipment, he wouldnt get the same result.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...kids these days, with their newfangled ideas and iPhones. What's next? Ring tones you can't hear? Watches without hands? Boys wearing girls' pants? EYELINER? Oh, wait...

Always de-railing the thread with the eh, commentary.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 19
I'm in high school, well I just graduated, anyways, I have only gotten crap for a lack of a better word at this time of night for having big headphones so I'm amazed that someone would want them for fashion. But, behind the head like the koss 75 would make the most sense in terms of fashion, those or the iGrados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back