New Cans: Alessandro MS1s
Mar 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jimber_Jam

New Head-Fier
So, I just got my first pair of actually great headphones in the mail today: some brand-spanking new Alessandro MS1s (I actually hunted down the mailman to get them, as since nobody was home when he stopped by, he left a "will redeliver" note, but screw waiting another day!), and they are fantastic.

I hooked them up to my PC, and popped in my all-time favorite album, Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and I am in the most euphoric musical state I have ever achieved in my own home. These cans seriously deliver the goods. For example, at the end of Oh Comely, you can hear someone exclaim something in the background, and while I knew what he was saying from reading about it elsewhere, this is the first time I could actually make out what he was saying for myself ("Holy ****!" in case you were wondering, which ironically was also my reaction).

I am officially hooked. I can feel it in my bones: this is going to devour a large portion of my income throughout the coming months. What can I say? I'm in love.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 12
you say MS1 are great, but compared with what?

I cannot stand them cause their lack of headstage, soundstage, spacious sound or whatever you wanna say...

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Well he said it's his first good pair so he probably has just been using stuff you could find in radioshack and such.

MS1s are very balanced sounding IMO. Great choice to start with, but you should definitely expand once you have funds. You'll see there's a lot more to experience!

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimPrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cannot stand them cause their lack of headstage, soundstage, spacious sound or whatever you wanna say...

Matter of taste. Alessandro/Grado are well know for other things.

Anyway, Jimber_Jam, considering I'm about to order a pair of MS1 (my third Grado/Alessandro) tell us if the cup housing is still the old one with low profile.

Post a pic if you can.

PS
Alessandro told me by mail that the MS1 is just like the picture, but the picture of the site still show an old MS2 with the ooooold cups. Who knows.
(I prefer the old school MS1 BTW)

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 12
MS1's are very nice indeed and gets a lot of headtime with me.

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1's are very nice indeed and gets a lot of headtime with me.

Good! I love spreading headphone love!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good! I love spreading headphone love!
biggrin.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

^This will definitely be me when the BlackSilver arrives!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^This will definitely be me when the BlackSilver arrives!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I can't imagine any disappointment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesmondDavidH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matter of taste. Alessandro/Grado are well know for other things.

Anyway, Jimber_Jam, considering I'm about to order a pair of MS1 (my third Grado/Alessandro) tell us if the cup housing is still the old one with low profile.

Post a pic if you can.

PS
Alessandro told me by mail that the MS1 is just like the picture, but the picture of the site still show an old MS2 with the ooooold cups. Who knows.
(I prefer the old school MS1 BTW)

MS1s.jpg

Seems to be the low profile cups to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimPrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, my first "real" pair of headphones were Sony MDR-V250Vs- they were loud and kept unwanted noise out, which was all I cared about at the time. I had those for several years before someone broke them (twice!).

I resorted to using whatever was laying around for a bit, as I didn't have a whole lot of need for headphones at the time. Eventually, I picked up a pair of ATH-T22s. Now, these were definitely an improvement over the Sonys, but I did not like they way they fit. They didn't have any real hold on my head, and with any real amount of movement they would slide right off. They sounded good, though, so I was willing to deal with the loose fit. When those also broke a couple months ago (stupid shoddy plastic headband!), I began the search for some better headphones, and here I sit today with this pair of MS1s resting on my ears.

Now, these are for the most part a pair of headphones just to get me started. From what I had read, Grado/Alessandro sounded like the direction in which I wanted to go, but since I had not really tried open cans before, I didn't want to go all out only to find I didn't like them. Now I just need to decide if I next want to go for a higher-end Grado/Alessandro, or try something different. My eventual goal is either RS1s or MSPs.

Also, for the MS1s, how much of an improvement on the sound would it be if I switched the stock pads for bowls?

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 12
The wee MS1 taught me how things "should" sound 3 years ago. I've stayed in love since then. In difference to Grados and ATs (the other rocking cans), they have an exceptional genre bandwidth. Lack of soundstage and deep bass can be cured with modifications, then they even perform Tchaikowsky well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back