New Cans, <$250
Dec 18, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deadagain6591

New Head-Fier
First off, my last can search went south when i had a credit card stolen from me....i recoved that money and had a little more added to it and here we go again.
I primarily listen to rock and acoustic music, sometimes metallica (but no heavier)

I am used to Event TR8 Studio Monitors. I am a student when it comes to recording, but love the act of it. I hope to find open back headphones that will be decent for listening to my recording, but mainly focus on listening to other peoples musit

I am thinking of building the Staving Student Amplifier.

I was semi interested in the Ultrasone 2500's, but i have never heard a pair, nor do i have any idea how they sound. Im no where near any company that would let me demo headphones.

I use a Presonus 2626 for my DAC on my computer

My limit is about 250$, but would like to spend less if possible

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 8
used or refurbished HD600s. check ebay audiogon or buy on the forums here. between $190 and $240. can't really do any better for that price. maybe AKG K701. they are also used in studios alot cuz they are very flat across the spectrum.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Look for an Alessandro MS-2i or Grado SR-325i in the fs board. they usually go between 200-250$. The MS2 is just a bit mellower on the treble than the SR325 that i've heared (not the i version). Both are great rock and acoustic music phones, the MS2 was actually tweaked for guitars. However, they both can be very bright sounding depending on your ears and setup. A nice tube amp will bring the best out of them.
FWIR people seem to like the Ultrasone Pro750 over Pro2500, I have listned to the pro750 and while they were quite fun to listen to with some heavy rock they are not as good for acoustic music beacuse of their lacking mids and overemphasized bass response. also the S-logic doesn't make them the most trasparent sounding of headphones, you just feel a bit boxed with them. I dunno of it's any different with the open-back Pro2500 though.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Acoustic music with akg k702 will be beautiful and think that presonus will have no trouble powering these cans ! It will not be optimal still it would be enough to present you new world of music. They are flat and they are sonicly very close to adam A7 studio monitors so there is no other option IMO !
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back