New canalphones from Ultimate Ears!
May 13, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #166 of 225
Jmmmm and I did a swap - I now have his UE-5pros for a few days and he has my Portaphile amp.

After listening for about three hours - I think these are very good. I have heard the Ety 4p/s, and the Westone UM2 and I think the UE5s are very good.

I should leave it at that for now, until the product is actually released.

May 13, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #167 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Jmmmm - what is that picture in your avatar? An xray of a person using UM2s? Seems like the um2s are not where the ear would be.

yeah it's homer and his pea-sized brain. It doesn't make much sense, actually, since you can see his CSF arround the edge of his skull, but since his brain is so small, the whole black area really should be filled with CSF and therefore white. But anyway...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacko
EDIT: I just saw the user guide on the UE website and the way the 5pro just sticks out is very unappealing.

They do stick out at a forward angle. This causes them to protrude more than the other canalphones I've used.

May 13, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #168 of 225
Darnit, for years I have been whining for a canal phone with less isolation and more pronounced bass (I listen at very low levels, and bass boost helps). I guess I forgot to throw in "but not huge". Oh well, I still want to hear the EB version, if they will fit in my ears.

btw, am I the only one that thinks the wearer in the photos has that thing in the wrong ear?

gerG

May 13, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #169 of 225
nevermind....

May 13, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #170 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I really hope you can help. If you can't, cheers. If you can, I just may bear your children
tongue.gif

all jokes aside, I know your collection of head/earphones is impressive and your knowledge of sound quality is well regarded. Therefore, when considering your privy to the UE 5 pros and my , well you understand...

what in the hell?
confused.gif
eek.gif

May 14, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #171 of 225
Yeah, that post didn't make much sense to me either.

To anyone has can get their hands on a pair of these (specifically the Pro version), I was wondering if you could try a little experiment for me:

I have noticed that for some reason UE has designed these so that they stick straight out from the side of your head. They are also angled forward a bit.

The overall shape of right super.fi 5Pro earbud looks similar to the left Shure E3c earbud. Here's the best pics I could find to illustrate this:

image.php
popup_e1inear.jpg

The Shure's angle back and towards the head instead of forward and away like the super.fi's.

My idea is to switch the left and right earbuds (of the super.fi 5Pro's), and insert them pointing to the upper/back part of the head, and take some pics.

I think this would make them much more sleek, and although this may not work perfectly a small tweak such as this may be possible for UE to do and still release these sometime early this summer. I also think a little bit more angle would be needed to stop them from sticking out (similar bendage to the Shure's).
Basically, they would just have to do is attach the cable on the opposite side of the earbud (and maybe put the logo on the square part that juts out, if they want the logo to face out). And depending on how they fit, the amount of 'bend/angle' in them may also need to be changed.

I think something similar to this would also be possible with the 5EB version, thus making them fit similar to the Shure E2c's, but I don't think anyone has the EB model to try it.

May 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #172 of 225

May 15, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #173 of 225
I tried to take some pics - but they don't really answer your question - they don't show the right angle to see how sleek they would be. Basically they still stickout some.

Oh - and in my avatar I have them in incorrectly - they look like they are going back when they should go forward some. (treasure in the hands of a fool).

Interesting thought. It would probably look like my avatar if they changed it.

edit -

Avatar changed - look for a copy of the old avatar pic below.

May 15, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #174 of 225
Quote:

Oh - and in my avatar I have them in incorrectly - they look like they are going back when they should go forward some. (treasure in the hands of a fool).

It looks to me as if you have them in correctly. How do you think you are putting them in differently?

May 15, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #175 of 225
Maybe so - but after I learned that they are supposed to stick forward it seemed like it put them in so that they stick forward a bit. I think they look like they are angled backward in the picture - cause I don't have them in far enough, maybe.

Don

May 16, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #176 of 225
Quote:

Maybe so - but after I learned that they are supposed to stick forward it seemed like it put them in so that they stick forward a bit. I think they look like they are angled backward in the picture - cause I don't have them in far enough, maybe.

hmmm, interesting, b/c from this snapshot of the 360 deg. view, it looks like it's the left earpiece, and the housing is angled back in reference to the earloop...
attachment.php

May 16, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #177 of 225
I mean the top - most outward part of the UE5s is angled toward the front - the part the ear wire is connected to.

May 16, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #178 of 225
We will have to wait to see what they're like, but from the pics, they look like they'll fit kinda funny. I like the way the e3 wire runs comfortably behind the ear. This kinda looks awkward.

May 16, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #179 of 225
I have never used the Shures. This fits nicely behind the ears in my opinion.

I should put it on correctly and take another picture - or better change my avatar and let people get their info from the UE site.

Ok - here is a bigger picture - again I think the UE5s may not be in far enough since they are angled back (I am not sure - I should read the instructions again) but this pic shows they fit around the ear.

May_026_medium.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back