New canalphones from Ultimate Ears!
May 5, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #122 of 225
First off you have to remember that I am not an audiophile and can't give you a professional detailed review since I'm not qualified.

I wouldn't say the Super.fi 5pros are the same as the Shure's nor the Grados at all but only have them to give a comparison to since this is what I have and use. For me these are the best out of the phones I have as far as sound quality & comfort goes. None of the others have that same level as far as an all around sound enhancement for my whole library.

The isolation from using the Ety's 4S while out & these I'd say might be almost the same. Maybe Ety a little more than these possible. It's been a while since I used the Ety's and remembering the amount of blockage when someone was speaking to me - I couldn't hear anyones voice unless they tapped me on the shoulder or I seen their lips moving and they were looking directly at me.

Out of the ones I have I think these are the best in sound quality and are now the ones I use the most along with the fact that they are super comfortable for me. The shure E5's are not comfortable and I find wearing them for a couple of hours will cause my ears to hurt. I haven't found a comfort level with them so I don't use them as often as the others but haven't given up on them yet.

And thanks for that info, Chicagophil, much appreciated.

Does anyone else have pain when wearing the E5's? I find that the hard ear piece gets very uncomfortable and starts to hurt.

May 5, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #123 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee1236
First off you have to remember that I am not an audiophile and can't give you a professional detailed review since I'm not qualified.

I wouldn't say the Super.fi 5pros are the same as the Shure's nor the Grados at all but only have them to give a comparison to since this is what I have and use. For me these are the best out of the phones I have as far as sound quality & comfort goes. None of the others have that same level as far as an all around sound enhancement for my whole library.

The isolation from using the Ety's 4S while out & these I'd say might be almost the same. Maybe Ety a little more than these possible. It's been a while since I used the Ety's and remembering the amount of blockage when someone was speaking to me - I couldn't hear anyones voice unless they tapped me on the shoulder or I seen their lips moving and they were looking directly at me.

Out of the ones I have I think these are the best in sound quality and are now the ones I use the most along with the fact that they are super comfortable for me. The shure E5's are not comfortable and I find wearing them for a couple of hours will cause my ears to hurt. I haven't found a comfort level with them so I don't use them as often as the others but haven't given up on them yet.

And thanks for that info, Chicagophil, much appreciated.

Does anyone else have pain when wearing the E5's? I find that the hard ear piece gets very uncomfortable and starts to hurt.

i never could get comfortable with the E5 either. and i'm still not completely comfortable with the UE-10s. at least there, the company will work with you to modify/remake them until you are satisfied.

you may want to touch base with some of the UE-5c owners. from the feedback i've read here, these get better marks for bass response.

regarding not being an audiophile and not being qualified to offer an appropriate review, don't worry... it's all just a state of mind
icon10.gif
it's not a hard science where there is a certain absolute knowledge base you must possess. while some "professional" reviewers, like john atkinson at stereophile, possess a technical knowledge that is quite amazing, i don't know that it has any impact on his ability to perceive sound.

being an audiophile. to me at least, means simply that you can hear a difference amongst different musical reproduction devices, and that difference matters enough to you to spend time and money pursuing the best devices based on whatever criteria you deem appropriate.

cheers,
phil

May 5, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #124 of 225
Just got the details for a Head-Fi tour of the UE facility, complete with SuperFi's, an audiologist to take impressions, and pizza & beer. Check out the details and sign up on the "Official Head-Fi UE Facility Tour" thread.

May 7, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #126 of 225
Both these look so sweet! - Though the 5EB at $200 appeals more!
basshead.gif
It says they're more suitable for Rock and trance too!

I'm sure this will mean the start of a lot of "E4c Vs 5Pro/EB - help me decide" threads!

I am personally more taken to the UE's as the design looks better, they come with a ton of accessories, you can get spare cables, and they're endorsed by so many artists and have such a good reputation w/UE10Pros etc.

Just a couple of things:

Anyone care to explain why the EBs only have 16dB Noise isolation and the pros have 26dB?

I'd also love for someone to do a size comparison w/other canalphones as these appear awfully big!

Anyway, best get saving up!

May 8, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #128 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Quick question: Is it difficult, or uncomfortable, or lay on your side and sleep with the UEs on?

I've got no problems with mine. Others have reported some discomfort, which I believe might be related to a too long stem in the earpiece.

All this supposing you are referring to UE-10 or UE-5.

May 8, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #129 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
I've got no problems with mine. Others have reported some discomfort, which I believe might be related to a too long stem in the earpiece.

All this supposing you are referring to UE-10 or UE-5.

I was wondering about the Super.fi 5 Pros too, since they seem to stick out a lot more than canalphones traditionally have.

May 8, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #130 of 225
Quote:

I was wondering about the Super.fi 5 Pros too, since they seem to stick out a lot more than canalphones traditionally have.

i would not be able to lay on my side with them. i have small ears/ear canals, though, so maybe it's worse for me.

May 8, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #131 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
i would not be able to lay on my side with them. i have small ears/ear canals, though, so maybe it's worse for me.

Ouch!

Thankfully, on the flipside, there are direct benefits in sound quality from such a design, so it is not entirely a disadvantage.

May 8, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #132 of 225
Quote:

Quick question: Is it difficult, or uncomfortable, or lay on your side and sleep with the UEs on?

My UE 5c's (currently being refit) are not comfortable enough to sleep with on my side. Unless you have a super soft pillow i don't think it would work out to well.

May 9, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #134 of 225
Gotta say, I love the Sound.fi 5 Pros. I'm actually in mourning at the moment, waiting for a replacement cable for them, because one side crapped out. From what it looks like though, the replacement (spares as seen on UE's site) cables are thicker and terminated differently from what I have, which is comforting. Sound wise, I've discovered over the past few weeks that they're one of the most neutral pair of cans/phones I've had the pleasure of using. (Didn't say ever, just out of what I've listened to so far)

The bass is wonderful. Ever present and detailed, without losing any punch or warmth. There's no hint of mud or mush, even when turning it up several notches EQ wise. I believe that it's entirely up the the source in order to get the most out of these babies, and I believe they're capable of quite a lot. The treble is never overbearing, and I've not ever had a problem with sibilance. Lately, I've been keeping my IHP's EQ set to flat, and my ears have adjusted, compared to when I first got them, I thought the treble was too light, and set it about 4dB higher. Now, it's perfect.

If the recording is produced well, it shows. Unfortunately, they're not magical, so if the production is crap...that shows too. Phones like these encourage one to encode their files with the best possible quality, and from CD's with outstanding production value. It's truly inspiring.

I wasn't sure if I thought they were worth the MSRP, but to be honest, I'm missing them so much, that thinking about paying that much seems very reasonable. One day, I'll spring for the UE 10's, but until then, I'm really overjoyed to be able to have these quality phones, from such a great company.

Ah...Almost forgot: Pictures Here

Please click on "Latest Pictures" to view the whole gallery, and all pics can be enlarged. I had more pics, but my cpu died, and they're in the other PC. Haven't had a chance to install new Mobo/CPU yet.

May 9, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #135 of 225
SweetSpot

Have you heard the UM2s? How do they compare in your judgment? And the ER4-P/S?

I read your review on misticriver.net and thought that was good info.

Thanks for any further enlightenment. I just got UM2s and like them pretty well - but there are always more headphones to buy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back