New camera, what's your verdict?
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 16
An excellent value now, as the A-series PowerShots are now being phased out of production with no direct successors. The point-and-shoot camera market wants small and pocketable, not bulky (the A1100 is slightly bulkier than other point-and-shoots in the same price class). It's likely that a new, cost-reduced model in the ongoing pocketable SD series will replace the low-end A-series cameras in the near future.

Speaking of Canon point-and-shoot cameras, my latest acquisition is an SD1200 IS, which my particular copy takes very good pictures--at least in good light. Low-light performance, though better than many others in its class, is nothing to write home about. Being that the SD1200 IS packs 10 MP onto a 1/2.3" sensor, I would keep my ISO settings no higher than ISO 400 with this camera (this setting yields sharp but somewhat noisy/grainy images).

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An excellent value now, as the A-series PowerShots are now being phased out of production with no direct successors. The point-and-shoot camera market wants small and pocketable, not bulky (the A1100 is slightly bulkier than other point-and-shoots in the same price class). It's likely that a new, cost-reduced model in the ongoing pocketable SD series will replace the low-end A-series cameras in the near future.

Speaking of Canon point-and-shoot cameras, my latest acquisition is an SD1200 IS, which my particular copy takes very good pictures--at least in good light. Low-light performance, though better than many others in its class, is nothing to write home about. Being that the SD1200 IS packs 10 MP onto a 1/2.3" sensor, I would keep my ISO settings no higher than ISO 400 with this camera (this setting yields sharp but somewhat noisy/grainy images).

Thanks for your insight, i do agree it's hard to find a point and shoot suited for low light conditions.
I've had my eye on some entry level Dslr's for quite some time now, thinking of either going with the Nikon D5000 or Canon Rebel class.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
canon makes great point and shoots

minor change in wording, "great" --> "best"
wink_face.gif

I'm interested in the new S90 ...

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

sure. I'd say go with canon for point and shoots, and nikon for DSLR

I'm a Canon guy, but recently bought a Nikon P&S, S620. Man I am disappointed by Nikon. I will not touch Nikon anymore.

For DSLR I also prefer Canon, partially due to all the investment in glasses; will wait for the future 1Ds IV and be done with it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 16
yeah, canon's not bad. I used canon DSLR's for years, used the 1Ds mkIII for a while, and when I bought a Nikon D3, even with half the megapixels, I knew I'd never go back to Canon.

It'll be interesting to see what these two companies come out with in the next few years. I bet the 1Ds mk IV and the D4 will both be incredible cameras.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

yeah, canon's not bad. I used canon DSLR's for years, used the 1Ds mkIII for a while, and when I bought a Nikon D3, even with half the megapixels, I knew I'd never go back to Canon.

It'll be interesting to see what these two companies come out with in the next few years. I bet the 1Ds mk IV and the D4 will both be incredible cameras.

You know, this thread is beginning to stray a bit off topic. Almost every talk about Canon--point-and-shoot or DSLR--that's been started recently has nearly degenerated into a Canon vs. Nikon grudge match.

Honestly, I'd much prefer Canon to Nikon when it comes to point-and-shoots. (The Nikon point-and-shoots miss the mark more often than not.) But both Canon and Nikon has made good DSLRs. But those are just my personal preferences, and not necessarily anyone else's.

May 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 16
Yes, Canons are great. I have using one for almost 4 years and now I bought a new. I might add that it is really satisfactory when it comes to its shoot. They had a huge variety of mega pixels. And the shoots and points are really well-defined. There is a Canon camera that you can load film, I will add.

May 7, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

To my surprise, a couple of new A-series Canons have appeared this past month. Unfortunately, the optical viewfinder is now gone on all of the new models. And only the bottom of the A-series line now continues to use AA batteries. The other A-series Canons are now beginning to use expensive "proprietary" rechargeable battery packs even though they are a little too large for easy pocketability.

May 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Looks like you have fun using it, so yes, it's worth it.
Getting a cheap P&S but making full use of it will be more worth it than getting a 2 grand lens that you hardly use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back