New cables from ALO
Dec 29, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 70
I received my Jumbo Cryo today. It's a very high quality well constructed cable - as is everything I've ever purchased from ALO. It DOES sound different than the standard 22g cryo. Better all around (sorry no review here).

More to the point of my post here. As Ken has put it in our various emails "I am his special customer" in terms of the fact that there always seems to be a small problem here and there with the few orders I have placed from ALO. It's no big deal and I've always ended up with something better than I expected...

In particular was the Jumbo Cryo purchase three weeks ago. Long story short - After a mix-up and forgot shiment, on the day after xmas, Ken made a custom length cable and shipped it to me. Even after I said to Ken that it's the holidays and I can wait, that it was no big deal. At one point Ken became unsure that he sent me the cable I asked for and mailed a second cable "just in case" - The bottom line is this is outstanding customer service and way beyond good business. This is caring about what you do and being committed to your customer.

Oh Yeah - this Jumbo Cryo cable is excellent!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #62 of 70
Just got a Copper Dock from Ken.

It was great timing, as I recieved it the same day as I got my iPod. Sounds great so far, can't wait to fully burn it in.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #63 of 70
I find this whole line out dock thing a bit confusing and frustrating as well. There are so many variations out there now (mini cryo, jumbo cryo, Vampire, Cotton Dock, Jumbo Silver, Bling Bling, etc, etc...) that's it's difficult if not impossible to know what sounds best with your particular rig. Maybe the strategy is that knowing we're all a bunch of neurotic "gotta have the best sound" freaks we'll end up ordering one of each. At an average of roughly $125.00 a piece this can obviously get rather expensive. Trouble is, once you have found the ultimate dock for your system you'll have five or six docks that you'll never use again. Then even if you've found the "holy grail" of cables within weeks there will be some new dock made from "Unobtainium" multi arrayed with platinum that has sonic qualities that defy description. Guess what? "Gonna have to try that one". These guys certainly know the audience they are catering to and know we're all a bunch of suckers for that ultimate sonic experience. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking Ken or anyone else. They put out great, high quality produts. (I have the Jumbo Silver, Bling Bling and 22 guage Cryo). It's just gets a little frustrating (not to mention expensive) at times. Thanks. I feel better now.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #64 of 70
i can see why you would be pretty frustrated about this, but these cables are nothing different than anything technology related... things are always upgrading and you will always have to pay top dollar to get the latest and greatest.

for me, i'm a big fan of ALO's cables. rather than offering the same cables, ken is always trying to find new ways to improve his cables, which to me, is a great service to us audiophiles. cables are no different than amps or headphones where you really gotta try it out to see if you like it or not, and there's no one setup that everyone believes is the best.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #65 of 70
I have to admit, it is indeed a bit frustrating. The number of choice is high and although there have been reviews on these interconnects, I still have a hard time really differentiating the different options. I want to jump on the jumbo cryo dock, but the price is really intimidating as I've never spend more than maybe 40 bucks on connectivity before. Given my lack of understanding and without surety of choice, I am having a tough time pulling the trigger. I'm just not sure how to make the choice. I know I need the durability that the cryo docks have to offer but I just don't know if the jumbo is really that much better than than it's slightly cheaper non-jumbo brother.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #66 of 70
I just received the 22 gauge cyro dock the other day and I couldn't be happier. The sound with the Tomahawk and Shure e500's is nothing short of incredible. Huge soundstage, detail and incredible bass response. I, to, was undecided between the jumbo and the smaller cryo but I have no regrets whatsoever getting the smaller one. To my ears, at least I prefer the sound of the copper over the silver docks (Jumbo Silver & BLing Bling. Slightly warmer, but gives up nothing in terms of detail and space.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwbvcd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the strategy is that knowing we're all a bunch of neurotic "gotta have the best sound" freaks we'll end up ordering one of each. At an average of roughly $125.00 a piece this can obviously get rather expensive....Then even if you've found the "holy grail" of cables within weeks there will be some new dock made from "Unobtainium" multi arrayed with platinum that has sonic qualities that defy description. Guess what? "Gonna have to try that one". These guys certainly know the audience they are catering to and know we're all a bunch of suckers for that ultimate sonic experience.

LOL! Very true! Ken is a good businessman and cable builder
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #68 of 70
Anyone seen this yet? NEW Cryo Micro Line Out Dock. I actually bought the 3-wire vampire dock but am going to exchange it for this one. Sorry again ken for the trouble
frown.gif

cryo-micro.jpg

cryo-micro2.jpg

cryo-micro3.jpg

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone seen this yet? NEW Cryo Micro Line Out Dock. I actually bought the 3-wire vampire dock but am going to exchange it for this one. Sorry again ken for the trouble
frown.gif

Or you could sell the Vampire Dock to me and then just buy the micro!
icon10.gif

I've been looking at getting a dock from ALO for a while now but unfortunately I could not find anything that both interested me and fit my budget.

I am glad that he has released the new cables, they should both fit their respective applications very well.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #70 of 70
I'm not sure what the trouble is with trying out cables to see if they work for you. It seems to be what Head-Fi is all about... we do it with headphones, amps, sources, music, etc. We are fortunate enough to have a fantastic used marketplace here; if you don't like it, sell it. ALO docks go especially quickly.

I have an incoming Jumbo Cryo mini-RCA (bought used). I'll compare it to the SignalCable mini-RCA I have in terms of sonic quality and value, and then probably dump the loser. I expect to prefer the Cryo, but how would I know without hearing it for myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back