New cable for Grado RS-1's
Oct 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Badd99

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, my cable on my RS-1's is starting to split at the Y connector...it doesnt effect the sound but I do want to get it fixed. Has anyone seen any real improvment over an the stock cable to an "upgrade" cable and if so from where?

I called grado and its going to cost me $100 flat - no matter if its a fix or cable swap - plus the shipping to them...they cover the shipping back as part of the $100

Do you guys know of any sites that will swap my cable? Upgrade cable for the RS-1's? Its a harder modification to do so its kinda hard to find places that will do it.

I fould this...anyone know anything about them? http://www.solozaudio.com/Products/HeadphoneUpgrades/GradoUpgrades/tabid/966/Default.aspx

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 30
Bryan at Zynsonix has re-cabled three of my cans and I am very happy. He has also built an umbilical cord to feed a K1000 out of an RWA Signature 30.2 and has also done a great job. Once I have more money I have another project for him to work on. Enclosed is a pic of my modded SR80 re-cabled by Bryan. Good luck.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 30
You could also try asking with a WTB in the classified area or with a thread in the DIY area, lots of guys here will recable for you for a good price.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Bryan at Zynsonix has re-cabled three of my cans and I am very happy. He has also built an umbilical cord to feed a K1000 out of an RWA Signature 30.2 and has also done a great job. Once I have more money I have another project for him to work on. Enclosed is a pic of my modded SR80 re-cabled by Bryan. Good luck.

I believe he only does up to the 225 series

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 30
I'm about to find out. It's a very debatable topic whether cables make a difference or not, you'll never know if you don't try one out yourself. Scientifically speaking, no one has been able to prove cables make a difference through frequency response measurements. I'm in the same situation as you, my RS1 cable is due for a replacement and I'm going to give APureSound a try because I've read great things about their cables. One major reason I would even bother upgrading the cable is because I do not plan to sell the RS1; keeping them until they break somehow and even then the drivers can be replaced by Grado
smile_phones.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I'm about to find out. It's a very debatable topic whether cables make a difference or not, you'll never know if you don't try one out yourself. Scientifically speaking, no one has been able to prove cables make a difference through frequency response measurements. I'm in the same situation as you, my RS1 cable is due for a replacement and I'm going to give APureSound a try because I've read great things about their cables. One major reason I would even bother upgrading the cable is because I do not plan to sell the RS1; keeping them until they break somehow and even then the drivers can be replaced by Grado
smile_phones.gif

I completly agree here...I do not plan on selling my RS-1's UNLESS I go to camjam (for sure going this year) and find a pair that I like better weither it be the gs1000 or hd800 (dont feel Ill like this much tho) then ill sell them and add 300-500 for a used pair floating around. 

What cable you getting and how much is it? Also, when are you getting this doen? 

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
smile_phones.gif

Trying a cable out yourself does not actually help you "know" any better. Psychoacoustics is everything and the fact you are looking for a difference means you are more likely to perceive one regardless of what is actually there, which is why peoples impressions of cables, unless blind, are invalid. It is the human mind at work that is the issue, which is why people can't trust themselves as accurate sources of information when it comes to cables. And you are right, scientifically speaking, there is 0 evidence there is much change, or anywhere near enough for a human to be able to perceive the change.

Aesthetics is a whole other matter though, and hey if you have money, who is anyone to tell you how to spend it!

It is my experience that people who are very taken with the Grado colouration don't like other phones' presentation as much. If you guys are so happy with your RS1, you might wanna look at amp "synergy" or other stuff instead. Mad Ear amps are supposed to be all the rage with the Grado line.

For the recable, you might want to look locally. It is not a complicated job, and you could probably get some really good wire, and nice looking stuff too for much cheaper. Canare and Mogami is very respectable wire.

My 2c

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 30
a couple of years ago at canjam i heard some rs1s recabled w/ apuresound cable - i hated it!  it ruined the character of the phone, imo. frankly the owner of those cans also seemed to like my rs-1s better, which had an upgraded grado cable factory installed. and others who stopped by and heard them seemed to agree.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 30
I don't know about that, I've read some people say they like theirs just fine. I guess I will know in a few weeks, worst case scenario I'll sell them and buy another RS-1 or even the RS-1i.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
a couple of years ago at canjam i heard some rs1s recabled w/ apuresound cable - i hated it!  it ruined the character of the phone, imo. frankly the owner of those cans also seemed to like my rs-1s better, which had an upgraded grado cable factory installed. and others who stopped by and heard them seemed to agree.

Grado will do an upgrade cable?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
I don't know about that, I've read some people say they like theirs just fine. I guess I will know in a few weeks, worst case scenario I'll sell them and buy another RS-1 or even the RS-1i.

what is it that you don't know about? i'm telling you i didn't care for them - their tonal balance was off -  and others who heard them side by side at that meet seemed to prefer my set  too.
i'm sure there are plenty of folks who are happy with their aps wired gear, including those who have them on grados. i understand that he does very good work.
it does sound like you've not heard them, and have just read others comments. i'd say i'm in a better position to offer impressions, eh?
tongue.gif

Quote:
kite7 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know anyone who can open up the RS1 for re-cable except APureSound, it's not as easy as the Prestige series.

i'm pretty sure that larry @ headphile can, and i believe there are others out there that have done this as well.

Quote:
Grado will do an upgrade cable?

i doubt that they'd do this routinely. however i bought mine from headroom and they apparently got them from grado with balanced 'joseph grado signature ultra-wide bandwidth reference cable', something i doubt that the factory has lying around these days.
i thought i was done with rs-1s (having owned 2 exceptional older sets before (which sounded better than some other rs-1s i compared them to)) but when i heard this set i had to go another round with them.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 30
I think mine sound very well, but I have not heard another pair. Mine are semi-vintage from 2003 - the button model. Is the general thought that the older ones sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back