New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #197 of 216
Here's BURSON's SMPS. As you can see, my scope if not good enough to measure the AC RMS & noise, showing a value of 181 uV (the max. value shown is from an imperfect contact of my probes). So quite a very good power supply, given the very low noise up to 10 MHz bandwidth my scope has.

BURSON 12V SMPS

Given the above graph, there will be no audible improvements to your DAC after swapping BURSON's power supply, but feel free to test this with RMAA or ARTA and compare the results of SWING with each PSU. Of course, given the low price of the LPSU you found, the confidence you might get by using a LPSU might actually worth the try. :)

Looking forward for your tests and opinions.
Hi @raoultrifan,
I think you are right in that Burson's SMPS is clean.
I recently replaced my linear power supply with Burson's SMPS for my Fun/V6C which requires high current demand possibly due to class A operation in everywhere aka main amp and now opamp of V6.
The linear power supply has not enough power but also not as quieter than I expected.
The original power supply of Burson has more improved sonic quality.
Burson better does branding their baby properly.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #198 of 216
IMG_20191003_114753.jpg

I just finished setting up a headphone system in my listening room which paired the Burson Swing with my 18 year old AES-3 DJH Edition preamp with Cary's headphone modification. The AES has Pope 6SN7GT tubes and it is sounding foot tapping good through the Utopias. :). I should mention the Swing has the mixed V6 Vivids and V6 Classics.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #199 of 216
Just thought I would mention that I absolutely love the combination of Swing and Bang power amp. Source is an optical feed from a Google Chromecast Audio and drives an old pair of Mission loudspeakers.

Burson Audio products absolutely rock!
image.jpg
qsuXtEHkQLhZqAm46

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #201 of 216
Just thought I would mention that I absolutely love the combination of Swing and Bang power amp. Source is an optical feed from a Google Chromecast Audio and drives an old pair of Mission loudspeakers.

Burson Audio products absolutely rock!

qsuXtEHkQLhZqAm46
Might have to give this a try. I have the Swing feeding a Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2 then to the Bang. Going directly from the Swing to the Bang sounds interesting.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #203 of 216
Why go Gilmore Lite to Bang in the first place..?
I had the Gilmore Lite before I got the Swing. I like the detailed presentation of it when using it as a preamp to the Bang. Now that I have the Swing, I've been using it as a DAC only. I haven't used it as preamp yet.

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #205 of 216
I have the V6 vivid equipped Swing which sounded great as a DAC driving a hybrid integrated and a headphone amp. But when I used it as a preamp for my Job 225 power amp I just picked up, it sounded terrible. Almost no bass, and mids were flat sounding. A huge step down from the lushness of the Consonance a-120 integrated. I thought maybe I had made a mistake getting the Job and maybe it wasn’t the amp for me. But then I inserted the a-120, using it as a pre-amp to drive the Job and was blown away by the sound, which now had the holographic soundstage I was expecting, along with strong controlled bass and a lush midrange. Something was obviously horribly mismatched using the Swing as a pre. I had used the Swing preamp to drive my Classe ca2200 power amp, and it sounded fine. Maybe there is an impedance mismatch or something with the Job. Anyone else tried it as a pre? At this point I’m thinking of getting a microzotl to use as a pre.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #207 of 216
I have the V6 vivid equipped Swing which sounded great as a DAC driving a hybrid integrated and a headphone amp. But when I used it as a preamp for my Job 225 power amp I just picked up, it sounded terrible. Almost no bass, and mids were flat sounding. A huge step down from the lushness of the Consonance a-120 integrated. I thought maybe I had made a mistake getting the Job and maybe it wasn’t the amp for me. But then I inserted the a-120, using it as a pre-amp to drive the Job and was blown away by the sound, which now had the holographic soundstage I was expecting, along with strong controlled bass and a lush midrange. Something was obviously horribly mismatched using the Swing as a pre. I had used the Swing preamp to drive my Classe ca2200 power amp, and it sounded fine. Maybe there is an impedance mismatch or something with the Job. Anyone else tried it as a pre? At this point I’m thinking of getting a microzotl to use as a pre.
Did you try it as a DAC out? Just to check the sound sig.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #209 of 216
Hi, my name is David, I'm from Chile and this is my first post in this community. I got a Swing v6v a couple of weeks ago and I have a few doubts about how to take the most advantage of it.

One of the reasons why I chose it was because it had volume control, because I was going to use with my active Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers and did not want to add a preamp. I have realized though that it sounds better over the "dac out" output, controlling the volume on my computer. I had tried lowering the dac and speakers' gain so I can listen with the signal as least attenuated as possible and it's better, but not quite the same as the dac out.

Are there any technical reasons behind this (different output impedances, the signal being deteriorated by the Swing's digital attenuator) or is it just my impression cause it sounds louder that way? If there were,what would be the most optimal way to control the volume? I listen mostly to classical through Idagio so my options would be Idagio's volume control, Windows' control or maybe a dedicated software for this you could recommend.

Lastly, what would be your recommendations for filter, emphasis and DPLL settings for my use case?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #210 of 216
Hi, my name is David, I'm from Chile and this is my first post in this community. I got a Swing v6v a couple of weeks ago and I have a few doubts about how to take the most advantage of it.

One of the reasons why I chose it was because it had volume control, because I was going to use with my active Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers and did not want to add a preamp. I have realized though that it sounds better over the "dac out" output, controlling the volume on my computer. I had tried lowering the dac and speakers' gain so I can listen with the signal as least attenuated as possible and it's better, but not quite the same as the dac out.

Are there any technical reasons behind this (different output impedances, the signal being deteriorated by the Swing's digital attenuator) or is it just my impression cause it sounds louder that way? If there were,what would be the most optimal way to control the volume? I listen mostly to classical through Idagio so my options would be Idagio's volume control, Windows' control or maybe a dedicated software for this you could recommend.

Lastly, what would be your recommendations for filter, emphasis and DPLL settings for my use case?

Thanks in advance!
The problem is that digital attenuation is not perfect, you lose resolution if you attenuate too much. Some people prefer analog attenuation but it also has its drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back