New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #556 of 602
There is a thread with Playmate reviews where you can read about the effect of using different op-amps: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-playmate.23567/reviews
Alternatively, you can also post your review there.
For majority of Playmate users and for me personally, the best sounding combo is using the V6 Classics in the I/V and the V6 Vivids in the LP Gain.
Burson has occasionally promotions where you can purchase the V6 op-amps on sale.

Received a Playmate review unit from Burson about a month back and went through quite an intensive period of listening with a handful of my other DACs/headphones to compare. I prefer the Playmate over the rest, even the Chord Mojo - maybe because the transport is a V30+. I have posted my reviews on the Head-fi Head Gear thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-playmate.23567/reviews#item-review-23252

Burson_Playmate_13.jpg

I do find 2 minor 'defects':
1. the volume knob does not react sometimes when I turn, so 2 clicks only get me 1 volume level increment. Kindda frustrating as I need to turn the knob more times.
2. when I used a gold-plated 3.5mm adaptor, I can hear faint buzzing sound, but it went away when I placed my finger on the gold part to ground it.

As for the USB ports, I find that both of them are essentially the same except the connectors are different. I could connect either ports to a mobile device or PC as long as I have the correct cable. I also find that despite using an OTG adaptor, some smartphones do not work. For instance, the LG V30+ worked perfectly but the Samsung Galaxy S10 could not detect the Playmate even though I am using the Samsung OTG adaptor.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #559 of 602
Hi. I´ve been using my Burson with Quad Era 1 for about a month now and have been so happy. Eras are definitely the most transparent a musical headphones I´ve had. Well these headphones were my most expensive purchase ... so you understand. But the last week I´ve been using it connected to my phone and not the pc anymore and can definitely say the sound is clearer (no noisy pc in the path), so give it a try :)
Burson Era .jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #560 of 602
Greetings

I just got my new Playmate V6 yesterday. As a gamer enthusiast my plan was to use this device mostly for gaming with my Audeze LCD-GX headphones. Have a couple of problems I was hoping perhaps some one knows how to solve.

Problem 1 BursonAudio USB Device Control Panel dont find my Playmate
Problem 2 No input from the microphone

I installed TSUBAudio Control Panel and that software find the Playmate but the Input option is not active. If I blow in the mic there is some kind of responce so some kind of connection is working. I use the USB-cable that came withe the Playmate.

In the control panel as you can see below the Playmate is only registrered as USB PnP Audio Device.

Before the Playmate I used a SoundblasterX G6 gaming dac with my LCD-GX sound and mic working so its not the headphones.

Skärmklipp.JPG

Atm at must use my SoundblaserX G6 to get the mic to work wich feels a bit like a downer

20200216_113433.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #561 of 602
That is weird. Try to uninstall all other xmos devices and reinstall Burson.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #562 of 602
Yepp really wierd. I have tried multible times and different ways. Both USB-B and USB-F with the same result. If I uninstall Burson completely and just connect it to the computer windows downloads drivers and the sound works perfect. But not the mic.

As you can see windows dont have the driver for XMOX DFU. For that to work I need to point to the folder with TSUBAudio Control Panel is installed to make that software work.

I another thread here with same problem https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...d-issue-with-microphone-in-windows-10.913969/ no one have answered that thread though. He seem to have no problem with the Burson Control Panel thogh.

Bursons drivers needs an update is my guess. It says in the manual that "The compatibility between our USB receiver and your computer is dependent on software drivers provided to Burson by the USB chip manufacturer. Therefore Burson cannot guarantee the compatibility of our USB receiver during or after the warranty period."

I have sent them a ticket hoping to get an reply next week.

Skärmklipp.JPG

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #563 of 602
Guys I'm trying to get music to play from my phone as an input into the Burson Playmate. I have my phone connected via the usb c to usb c cable to the front of the Playmate. I've changed input to USB-F. When I play music from my phone I don't hear anything from the headphones and the music just plays through my phones speakers. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #564 of 602
Guys I'm trying to get music to play from my phone as an input into the Burson Playmate. I have my phone connected via the usb c to usb c cable to the front of the Playmate. I've changed input to USB-F. When I play music from my phone I don't hear anything from the headphones and the music just plays through my phones speakers. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

What player are you using?

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #567 of 602
It depends a lot which phone are you using. Samsung seems particularly problematic. With some Android phones you have to tweak some settings in the developers option.
With Apple no problem. I am using the iPhone 11 with the Playmate without any issues.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #569 of 602
It depends a lot which phone are you using. Samsung seems particularly problematic. With some Android phones you have to tweak some settings in the developers option.
With Apple no problem. I am using the iPhone 11 with the Playmate without any issues.

I have had nothing but trouble with the Playmate. The driver want recognise the Playmate and the microphones dosent work.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #570 of 602
Yepp really wierd. I have tried multible times and different ways. Both USB-B and USB-F with the same result. If I uninstall Burson completely and just connect it to the computer windows downloads drivers and the sound works perfect. But not the mic.

As you can see windows dont have the driver for XMOX DFU. For that to work I need to point to the folder with TSUBAudio Control Panel is installed to make that software work.

I another thread here with same problem https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...d-issue-with-microphone-in-windows-10.913969/ no one have answered that thread though. He seem to have no problem with the Burson Control Panel thogh.

Bursons drivers needs an update is my guess. It says in the manual that "The compatibility between our USB receiver and your computer is dependent on software drivers provided to Burson by the USB chip manufacturer. Therefore Burson cannot guarantee the compatibility of our USB receiver during or after the warranty period."

I have sent them a ticket hoping to get an reply next week.

Skärmklipp.JPG

I see you have "Mikrofon (2-USB PnP Audio Device) that should be Playmates microphone. Have you checked that default microphone in Windows sound panel?

Attachments

• mic.PNG
    mic.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back