New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #77 of 602
Is it not in the order presented in the manual?

The first thing upon hitting menu should be input, then output, then gain etc etc.

Dont actually have mine yet but I would assume that is how it would work.
I have to spend some more time with it (only a few hours last night), but the menu system is kind of magical at this point. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but the whole thing where there are two wheels that turn and the button clicks is something I'm going to have to get used to. It is a beautiful piece of kit.

I'll post some photos tonight or tomorrow, but so far the sound is amazing. So resolving, I can make out all the layers of the songs. It has a great soundstage, and it's transformed my Jubliees and my AKG k7XXs. I gave them equal time yesterday. No IEMs yet, but I'll try some tonight.

I need to hook in my iPhone, and try out the MacBook Pro. Yesterday I used my R3 in the back connection (the front one didn't seem to work, but I had to Frankenstein a cable since I couldn't find my USB-C to C cable).

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #78 of 602
Is it not in the order presented in the manual?

The first thing upon hitting menu should be input, then output, then gain etc etc.

Dont actually have mine yet but I would assume that is how it would work.

Hi Asahi,

For instance to change from headphone output to preamp output

Push the menu button to bring up the menu
Turn the volume knob to select output
Push the volume knob to get to headphones (the default setting)
Turn the volume knob to select preamp
Push the volume knob to accept
Push the menu button to quit the menu

That sequence of actions will change the output setting

btw I will not be able to post any pics until this weekend at soonest
I have two stubborn screws in the back of the unit and they maybe stripped.

Ren

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #79 of 602
What nerves!

I've already been home and I won't be able to test it. This weekend I'm going on a trip.

That came very fast.

BAP.png

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #81 of 602
Hi Raoultrifan,

I got my issue with the two stubborn screws resolved. Just a heads up people ...don't use the included hex wrench. Use a good set of hex wrenches on the screws.
Will post some internal picts tomorrow.

Ren

I assume all the Burson products using the 5 1/4" drive bay form factor are using the same hex screws. The screws themselves are rather cheap as I stripped two of them on my FUN amp and I was not even using their supplied wrench. It seems that the screws that come with the unit have very poorly cut and shallow hex cavities. I had to drill the heads off to get the amp apart. I've since replaced them with much better quality M3 0.5 x 8mm hex screws from Home Depot. I have a SWING DAC in route and the first thing I think I'm going to do is replace those frackin' screws.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #82 of 602
This is like assembling furniture with the included screwdrivers (if any). I never used the included hex screwdriver, not for Burson and not for IKEA products as well. These are sort of a best-effort cases, so not quite recommended, unless you really don't have a better one around.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #84 of 602
I use torx screwdrivers, and torx are the only good screws.

Starting with my Issues so far:

1. inside the case there is a sticker that shows which function the op-amps have in a simple shematic,
but the orientation of the op-amps are wrong in that shematic so if you focus on that you could damage/destroy your op-amps and or hardware.

2. Volume settings "saves" and displays correctly, but after turning it off and on again, volume is reset to a lower value, still displaying the user set value.
Changing volume like +1 then -1 sets the actual correct value. Means you ALLWAYS need manual access to your unit if you turn it off and on, before you can use it.

Impressions:

Compared to my (malfunctioning by old/bad psu) Play, Playmate sounded very dull and weak, missing the punch I liked so much. But now after some time of use, performance seem to increase, probably will take some time to reach it´s peak. So I don´t think you could expect an indepth review soon.

I use very sensitive Headphones, and s/pdif seems to be holy grail for my setup.
That thing has a dead silent background, literally nothing.
Everythings sound very clear, good and I have nothing bad to say about the sound so far.

Current Setup:

s/pdif 192@24
gain: low
roll off: brickwall
LPF: V6 Vivid
I/V: LME47920

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #85 of 602
This is like assembling furniture with the included screwdrivers (if any). I never used the included hex screwdriver, not for Burson and not for IKEA products as well. These are sort of a best-effort cases, so not quite recommended, unless you really don't have a better one around.

Agreed, think what I am gonna do is replace the back screws and here are a few pics for ya (sorry about the quality

Ren

Playmate1.jpg
Playmate2.jpg
IMG_3287.JPG

Attachments

• Playmate1.jpg
    Playmate1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Playmate2.jpg
    Playmate2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #86 of 602
Thanks for the pics, Ren!

Do I see different MCPS inthere? The small opamps from the left side (8 opamps, perhaps)?
Where are the two DACs? Or is it only one? trying to see if it's configured in current-out or voltage-out. I also don't see the audio opamps from DAC output.
Why 4 dual opamps in there? They look like voltage-gain, but you only need one dual per channel to aggregate the outputs from the two DAC chips...or am I wrong? I'll think about it when I'll see a detailed pic with the DAC chips.

Many thanks and keep up listening, then share impressions! :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #87 of 602
The Everest Playmates are apprently shipping out in the next day or so according to Burson. Seems they finally finished the silver cases.

I will hopefully have mine by the end of the week as it is quite quick to ship from Hong Kong to Japan.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #88 of 602
@raoultrifan
2 Dual Opamps per channel, 1 for LPF and one I/V each.
From my observation it´s one dac, a very small (mobile) chip, which sits below the USB-PCB.
You can somewhat see it in the first picture, it´s the one with some space around.

Could do some good high-res pics if anyone interested.

Sound so far increased again one step after some use.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #89 of 602
You only need one dual-opamp per DAC chip for the I/V stage and another one for the LowPass stage, so a total of 3 opamps/DAC chip would suffice.

Given the short distance from the opamps to the output stage, I presume that the 4 opamps are the gain-stage, which is probably partially true...don't know. Usually, the I/V and LPF stages are nearby DAC chip, but the 4 dual opamps are way too distant....now I'm unsure what each opamp does. Maybe more close-up pics will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back