1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last
  1. raoultrifan
    BURSON_PLAY_V2.2_impulse_FFT64.png BURSON_PLAY_V2.2_impulse_FFT256.png

Looks more like sharp filter, after all. Left is FFT 64K and right is FFT 256K. Both PLAY V1.6 and V2.2 boards are showing the same digital filter. Most say this would be the most pleasant filter, sort of bets of both worlds (musicality and neutrality too). However, let's wait for the PLAYMATE and SWING what will bring to us. :)

DjBobby likes this.
  2. BLacklWf
    A couple questions to those who knows Burson product. First, I'd assume Swing will sound better as a pure DAC than Playmate? Second, does V6 opamps make that much of adifference? I did read good reviews but the price difference is rather substantial..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. raoultrifan
    I personally liked the V6 Classic more than standard NE5532/NE5534 opamps on PLAY combo. I think everyone noticed the increased soundstage and more detailed sound. If I remember well, the noise was lower on the V6 than the NE5532, but the THD was a little bit higher (inaudible anyway).

BLacklWf likes this.
  4. BLacklWf
    Thanks for the feedback!

5. raoultrifan
  6. Renfield1217
    raoultrifan and DjBobby like this.
  7. raoultrifan
    Thanks for sharing this info. You can't start delivering items without having the manuals ready, right? :) Seems that indeed first items will start shipping on the Jan.01.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy some good reading below.

PLAYMATE_03.png
    Many input connections, good to see that. Some of us missed the optical input for sure in the PLAY.

PLAYMATE_04.png
    Op-amp rollers will probably miss the 2 single opamps from PLAY, the ones that take care of the voltage-gain, the stage between the LPF and the output buffer. I assume this won't be needed here, hence same role is probably played now by discrete components or by LPF opamps (after all, the gain inside PLAY was at most 2X, because DAC-out had 4.5V RMS).

PLAYMATE_05.png
    Several filters, good job! I know I want to try the MP SLOW, but also the MP FAST and BRICKWALL for sure. Now wondering what RESERVED will be, or we'll all vote here and BURSON will provide a firmware update based on our votes? :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. Mouseman
    Thanks for the pages from the manual. I can't wait to start Playmateing!

I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on the different opamp stages - I tried googling, but all I find are in-depth technical discussions. Do I have to change all the opamps, or can I only do 2? Which ones impact the sound the most?

9. raoultrifan
    Maybe you won't need to change any opamps, unless you want to change sound "flavour" or simply to swap opamps for fun. :)
    I'm sure that with the default opamps PLAYMATE will have a clean, neutral and punchy sound.

The I/V stage is where the first analogue convertion takes place, immediately after the DAC. This is where the sound can get changed easily by swapping opamps. Usually, a fast enough FET-input opamp like MUSES8920 should be very good, but tests proved that even LME49720 or better, the OPA1612 or AD8599, might have incredible results. Of course, V6 Classic might sound even better to our ears, so...you should check this out later. :

LPF is the low-pass filter stage, so most opamps will do just fine here: LME49720, MUSES8820 or, of course, V6 Classic.

Asahi Templar likes this.
  10. Asahi Templar
    I am happy to see linear phase fast confirmed as present!

It is a little bit sad they did not include the thd compensation function of the 9038 which is basically a dsp that adds 2nd harmonic distortion to try to sound like a tube amp. I don't think it is especially great based on the impression of it but would be fun to play with.

The strangest one to me is the dpll setting. What is that? I have never seen it before on other dacs.

Some quick googling revealed that it is phase linear loop but not sure what that does. It seems like maybe this is the same as the bandwidth function that topping and pioneer usually have on their dacs but maybe I am wrong.

11. raoultrifan
    You can't say for sure the THD comp. is not enabled until will have it measured properly. Acoustically speaking, if all the harmonics are below -90dB, then human ears will not be able to hear them (actually, we can't distinguish the 2nd harmonic if is it's lower then -60dB). However, this feature is firmware upgradable (see Reg. #13 from here).

Few words about Digital PLL: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/lowest-dpll-setting-in-buffalo-ii-dac/.

Asahi Templar likes this.
  12. Asahi Templar
    Think I used the wrong terminology. The tube amp dsp effect is not called thd compensation, remembered that wrong. The only dacs I have seen use it are the smsl ones and they call it the sound coloration setting. Not too big a deal to not have it, just fun to play with.

Seems the dpll is the same as the latency setting offered by topping and pioneer dacs. That means you can play the how low can you go game to theoretically improve sound. It is interesting and very nice that they have separate settings for pcm and DSD because with past experience DSD needed higher latency than pcm did. The topping and pioneer dacs just had one latency setting for both.

The other interesting setting is deemphasis, I have never seen that on a modern dac. I wonder if it is "smart" deemphasis, in other words that it reads the file you are playing for preemphasis tags and then applies the correction. If it just cuts the high frequencies of all files, it is a little odd to have it on by default as most people are not going to be listening to preemphasised content I guess.

As I understand it that was mostly done in the 1980s.

raoultrifan likes this.
  13. DjBobby
    All modern dacs and CD players have automatic preemphasis possibility, it is out there for long. Interesting is the that the Playmate leave it to the user to change it manually - supposing that one knows which recording is made with the PE and which not.

Asahi Templar and raoultrifan like this.
  14. Mouseman
    Has anyone seen any news on whether or not production is done, and if shipping has started? Burson doesn't seem to have much of a presence on FB, and the Twitter hasn't been updated in many years. I can't wait to get my hands on this and try it out.

15. raoultrifan
    From my understanding: "We are happy to inform you that the production of Playmate and Swing is on schedule and we are confident that everyone will receive their units before mid-January".

Now, with the new year parties and stuffs, maybe few days delay will exist for some continents, but it all depends on the carriers now. Let's wait and see.

Mouseman likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last