New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #31 of 602
Good to know, thank you!

However, differences are only measurable, but not audible. It's like comparing 2 cars: one can get to 100km/h in 7.1s, the other one gets to 100km/h in 7.2s; of course, both cars look completely differently and come from different manufacturers too, so which one will you buy? :) So sometimes measurements may not count as much as the look and features, unless one specific device is measuring like crap and below any standards.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 602
Good to know, thank you!

However, differences are only measurable, but not audible. It's like comparing 2 cars: one can get to 100km/h in 7.1s, the other one gets to 100km/h in 7.2s; of course, both cars look completely differently and come from different manufacturers too, so which one will you buy? :) So sometimes measurements may not count as much as the look and features, unless one specific device is measuring like crap and below any standards.

Well I preordered the Playmate now it's a waiting game.

Ren

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 602
Not sure. Burson has removed the Play with V5i from sale few months ago.
Also it has removed 2 capacitors from the board - used to increase V5i stability in the gain stage.

For some reasons I think Playmate was not designed with V5i in mind.
They may work well however in the I/V stage, but I'll chose the V6 Classic there.

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #37 of 602
Anyone know what the everest configuration may sound like? I preordered the vivid combo but now im starting to wonder if I should have went for everest. I usually lean towards a slight v or u shaped sound.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #38 of 602
Based on my Play configuration ( similar to Everest ) and some tests I did:

Vivids have some sort of V shape sound. Very good bass and treble but recessed mids.
After a lot of burn-in mids are better, still a bit recessed. They have a great soundstage.

Everest have V6 Classics in I/V - decent bass ( but not so much ) and very good mids. Treble is better after a lot of burn-in.
Sounstage is a bit better than "all Classics" because it use Vivids in LPF and Gain. These bring also some "fun" to the music. I found all Classics being a bit boring.

However, as it seems they have implemented the 9038 filters you can play also with them to get better sound.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #41 of 602
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #42 of 602
Based on my Play configuration ( similar to Everest ) and some tests I did:
Vivids have some sort of V shape sound. Very good bass and treble but recessed mids.
After a lot of burn-in mids are better, still a bit recessed. They have a great soundstage.

Everest have V6 Classics in I/V - decent bass ( but not so much ) and very good mids. Treble is better after a lot of burn-in.
Sounstage is a bit better than "all Classics" because it use Vivids in LPF and Gain. These bring also some "fun" to the music. I found all Classics being a bit boring.

However, as it seems they have implemented the 9038 filters you can play also with them to get better sound.

Very helpful description and confirms what I've heard elsewhere. I pre-ordered the version with all vivid opamps to complement my aeon flow and lcd2c which tend to be darker sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #44 of 602
Good to know. I never saw filters implemented in any 9018K2M before. ( funny, with the Play I have 4 DAC's using the chipset ).
M8 is quite old. I know newer versions - M8A with 9028 and 9038.
I have also the M8a with the 9028, the same 3 filters. The M8a v2 with the 9038 has apparently 7 filters, the same ones which can be found in Topping DX7s, D50 and probably in the Playmate as well.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #45 of 602
Where did you get the info that the Play uses slow roll-off filter?
I measured this months ago, but don't remember exactly what filter was...either slow, either sharp roll-off, sorry...gimme few time to do this measurement again. However, some details about digital filters here: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/.

From what I know the 9018K2M does not have filters.
ESS says that filters could get implemented after all: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/. Perhpas this depends on how much every manufacturer wants to invest into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back