1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. raoultrifan
    Good to know, thank you!

However, differences are only measurable, but not audible. It's like comparing 2 cars: one can get to 100km/h in 7.1s, the other one gets to 100km/h in 7.2s; of course, both cars look completely differently and come from different manufacturers too, so which one will you buy? :) So sometimes measurements may not count as much as the look and features, unless one specific device is measuring like crap and below any standards.

Eiffel likes this.
  2. Renfield1217
    Well I preordered the Playmate now it's a waiting game.

Ren

raoultrifan likes this.
  3. raoultrifan
    Wondering if you'll be able to sleep till will arrive...and if you will, then it will be PLAYMATE you'll be dreaming about every night for sure. :)

Looking further for your review...most likely in January...we'll see.

4. Renfield1217
    yes we will see, is kinda funny to be waiting until after Christmas for something. :{)

Ren

5. Mouseman
    Does anyone think switching out the stock opamps for V5i's would make sense now that MD has them for cheap? Would I need to switch all 4, or are two for the phono stage?

6. Eiffel
    Not sure. Burson has removed the Play with V5i from sale few months ago.
    Also it has removed 2 capacitors from the board - used to increase V5i stability in the gain stage.

For some reasons I think Playmate was not designed with V5i in mind.
    They may work well however in the I/V stage, but I'll chose the V6 Classic there.

7. WailingBanshee
    Anyone know what the everest configuration may sound like? I preordered the vivid combo but now im starting to wonder if I should have went for everest. I usually lean towards a slight v or u shaped sound.

8. Eiffel
    Based on my Play configuration ( similar to Everest ) and some tests I did:

Vivids have some sort of V shape sound. Very good bass and treble but recessed mids.
    After a lot of burn-in mids are better, still a bit recessed. They have a great soundstage.

Everest have V6 Classics in I/V - decent bass ( but not so much ) and very good mids. Treble is better after a lot of burn-in.
    Sounstage is a bit better than "all Classics" because it use Vivids in LPF and Gain. These bring also some "fun" to the music. I found all Classics being a bit boring.

However, as it seems they have implemented the 9038 filters you can play also with them to get better sound.

9. DjBobby
    Where did you get the info that the Play uses slow roll-off filter?

10. Eiffel
    From what I know the 9018K2M does not have filters.

11. DjBobby
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Eiffel likes this.
  12. WailingBanshee
    Very helpful description and confirms what I've heard elsewhere. I pre-ordered the version with all vivid opamps to complement my aeon flow and lcd2c which tend to be darker sounding.

13. Eiffel
    Good to know. I never saw filters implemented in any 9018K2M before. ( funny, with the Play I have 4 DAC's using the chipset ).
    M8 is quite old. I know newer versions - M8A with 9028 and 9038.

14. DjBobby
    I have also the M8a with the 9028, the same 3 filters. The M8a v2 with the 9038 has apparently 7 filters, the same ones which can be found in Topping DX7s, D50 and probably in the Playmate as well.

Eiffel likes this.
  15. raoultrifan
    I measured this months ago, but don't remember exactly what filter was...either slow, either sharp roll-off, sorry...gimme few time to do this measurement again. However, some details about digital filters here: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/.

ESS says that filters could get implemented after all: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/. Perhpas this depends on how much every manufacturer wants to invest into this.

Eiffel likes this.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last