NEW Burson HA-160DS Integrated DAC/Amp
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

Thenarus

New Head-Fier
Discovered while browsing:

Contest to win one

Official page

Basically, it's a smaller, less expensive HA-160D without some of the preamp functions.  What is interesting, however, is that Burson has also consolidated the high and low gain outputs into a single out.

From Alex at Burson regarding the headphone out:

"The output of the DS is somewhere between the high and low outputs on the HA-160D.  And because we use a high quality volume pot instead of our step attenuator, you will have more control on the volume."

Thanks, roker, for pointing out that this uses ALPS pots for volume control as opposed to the stepped attenuators used on the full-size HA-160D.

Unit will be available for sale November 1st (thanks Huff).

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 155
Sweet, looks like a great option at even better value for someone who doesn't need the pre-amp function.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 155
Glad they finally went ALPS on this (I'm not a fan of stepped pots)

Looks nice for people looking for small one purpose setups.

I guess it's too stripped down for my uses.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 155

Quote:
Glad they finally went ALPS on this (I'm not a fan of stepped pots)

Looks nice for people looking for small one purpose setups.

I guess it's too stripped down for my uses.

Stepped attenuator on the HA-160D doesnt induce any noise and doesnt add to THD, the APLS pot adds distorsion and a bit of noise, so I don't understand whats to be liked in the entry to mid level ALPS pots? To cut the cost for sure.
As for HA-160DS, I'm liking it, the only thing that it misses and it's very important IMHO is the DAC output. It has only one analogue input so you can use it only as an Amp or an DAC/Amp, just a DAC it's not possible (you can do it on HA-160D).

PS: Officially HA-160DS is the best bang for the buck in this price range IMO, you can't beat this "all-in-one solution" at 890 USD.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 155

Quote:
Stepped attenuator on the HA-160D doesnt induce any noise and doesnt add to THD, the APLS pot adds distorsion and a bit of noise, so I don't understand whats to be liked in the entry to mid level ALPS pots? To cut the cost for sure.

I prefer a smooth non-stepped anntenuator.  I find it easier to hit the "sweet spot" when you are looking for the best volume control.

It's a all a matter of preference, but I'd say the combination of the stepped anntenuator and lack of optical drove me to buy something else.

Again, what's up with the lack of an optical input on this new device?

pretty disappointing.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 155
It looks nice indeed. I will wait for the reviews on it. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 155

Quote:
i'm wondering if the DAC/amp quality is on par with the 160D?

http://www.bursonaudio.com/HA_160DS.html

'Its DAC is identical to that inside the HA-160D right down to each component used. The headphone is also identical to the HA-160 which we have been refining since 2009'

I really liked the 160D but wasn't ready to spend that sort of money so this product looks pretty exciting for me. I just need to work out if I think I will miss the few features taken out. Does anybody know when this will be available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back