New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Mar 26, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #616 of 1,276
Using DAC-out you won't get any coloration from Burson's Amp/Pre circuitry, just the plain Sabre DAC chip good works.
I'd suggest when using external amp to use DAC-out with volume at 80 that is roughly 2V, or 99 that is roughly 3V.
Ask the tube amp vendor if their product work best with a LINE input of 2V or 3V and set the volume accordingly.
Hope that helps

Thank you for this. I'm waiting for a Project Ember II and was planning on using it connected to the DAC out on the V2+.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #617 of 1,276
I did an AB test of CV1 and the Schiit Magni2/Modi 2 stack the other day and couldn't tell a difference.

I am therefore debating whether I should get the CV2+ or other amp at this price level. CV1 was priced at near $2k but the second hand price dropped to less than half in two years, which is huge compared to other dac/amp. If the performance of CV2 is just marginally better, it would probably be overpriced at this point and I will wait until it's second hand price dropped to less than half to try one.

To be clear, it's not that CV1 isn't good, it's just that I am amazed about the Schiit stack's capabilities (I EQed a bit in foobar so didn't think the HD800 too harsh or bright), and therefore don't think that CV1's performance plus lack of functionality justifies the price. (I got mine at nearly $800)

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #619 of 1,276
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying the Conductor V2+ and am hoping someone can clear up some questions about the volume control.  My understanding is that the analog-domain PGA2310 only handles volume for the analog inputs, and that the digital inputs are handled by the Sabre chip's built-in digital volume control.  If that's the case, why aren't the digital inputs subject to the same degradation of resolution at low volume levels that you see in other DACs using the Sabre's digital volume control?  If you ask Auralic about their Altair DAC, for instance, they'll tell you that for critical listening on speakers they recommend adding a preamp to bypass the Sabre's volume control.  

Posters in this thread and Alex at Burson say there's no degradation using the V2+ digital volume control, and I believe them, but is there anyone who can explain why?  I'm interested to know.  Thanks!

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #620 of 1,276
Hi guys.

This morning when I woke up, there seems to be a problem with my Xmos driver. Last night was perfectly fine. I am playing from my PC (Windows 7) + Foobar2000 + Burson CV2+

Foobar can't seem to detect my Xmos driver. There should be the choice in 'Preference' -> 'Output' -> 'DS: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 3033'. But this option is missing now. 

I tried re-installing and rebooting my PC. Also tried other USB ports. Still nothing. Don't really know what happened suddenly. 

Any idea?

Thank you

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #621 of 1,276
  Hi guys.

This morning when I woke up, there seems to be a problem with my Xmos driver. Last night was perfectly fine. I am playing from my PC (Windows 7) + Foobar2000 + Burson CV2+

Foobar can't seem to detect my Xmos driver. There should be the choice in 'Preference' -> 'Output' -> 'DS: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 3033'. But this option is missing now. 

I tried re-installing and rebooting my PC. Also tried other USB ports. Still nothing. Don't really know what happened suddenly. 

Any idea?

Thank you

Hi omniweltall, 
I would have told you to try all the thing that you've already tried, so the only remaining option is that your Foobar2000 installation went "banana". Try uninstalling Foobar and reinstall Foobar's ASIO components, then reinstall Burson's ASIO driver.
If that doesn't work try another pc.
Also you can try using and Android Device with an OTG cable instead of your laptop and use player such as USB Audio Player, Onkyo Player, Hibymusic.
If none of the former worked you should contact Alex at Burson Audio Sales and expose your problem. 
I think someone else here had a problem with the USB input and resolved it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #622 of 1,276
My understanding is that the analog-domain PGA2310 only handles volume for the analog inputs, and that the digital inputs are handled by the Sabre chip's built-in digital volume control.  

Yes you are right.

Quote:

If that's the case, why aren't the digital inputs subject to the same degradation of resolution at low volume levels that you see in other DACs using the Sabre's digital volume control? 

Digital Inputs, namely USB toslink and coaxial, shouldn't have volume degradation once you bypass windows built in sound mixer. You can do so by using software such as Foobar2000 or Jriver on PC (audiurvana on MAC, USB Audio Pro on Android), that assure with either ASIO or Wasapi driver that window's mixer is left out of the equation. Sabre built in digital volume control "assure" no degradation, and that's not Burson's or Auralics achievement.

But if for "Digital Input" you meant not physically USB toslink and coaxial connection but the PRE/DAC output using a Digital Input, then you should be told that both are controlled by the Volume Pot on the front; I mean none of the two is a Fixed 2V or 3V line out. You should figure yourself if you'd need the PRE or the DAC output and set the volume accordingly.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #626 of 1,276
  Hi omniweltall, 
I would have told you to try all the thing that you've already tried, so the only remaining option is that your Foobar2000 installation went "banana". Try uninstalling Foobar and reinstall Foobar's ASIO components, then reinstall Burson's ASIO driver.
If that doesn't work try another pc.
Also you can try using and Android Device with an OTG cable instead of your laptop and use player such as USB Audio Player, Onkyo Player, Hibymusic.
If none of the former worked you should contact Alex at Burson Audio Sales and expose your problem. 
I think someone else here had a problem with the USB input and resolved it.

I contacted Alex and Dennis. 

This is weird though. It was all working fine.

Thanks Wakka, as always.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #628 of 1,276
Hello, it happened to me with a IMAC when it goes into sleep mode at night, in the morning I can not find the dac burson, I solved by turning off the mac only the restart did not see it, now I am sending mostly in energy conservation and everything works as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back