New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Feb 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 1,276
I asked a few questions that I thought others may be interested in regarding the Conductor v2 and v2+:

Could I ask if basically the v5 is built into the new Conductor?  Also I would be interested in why not design around the physical v5 so that if you develop a v6, the Conductor could be upgraded?

Burson: Yes, the DNA of the V5 is in there.  However, the V5 was designed to plug into many different machines and work in many different applications. The CV2 is purpose built.  Hence there are even less components on its discrete signal path.  Not using any general purpose building blocks, even our own is our design approach. : ) 

Not that I really need any more equipment but what has the focus of the competition been for the headphone amplifier and the DAC?  If you are shooting for reference quality how would you compare it against the Cavalli Audio line of headphone amplifiers?  

Burson: I think our design can be competitive against other designs in the price range. : ) 

On the DAC side, I am not sure of the competition.  I have several of the LH Labs products using the ESS latest DAC chip and they are good at their price points but I am not sure I would consider them reference.  I still generally prefer to go back and listen to my PS Audio PWD MKII or even older Meridian 808.2i that don't do all the higher end files like DSD.    

Burson: The ESS9018 can be implemented in many different ways.  Our approach, in our own opinion is the most analogue sounding.   The way we like it.  

From a US service standpoint, this seems more of a direct sales approach rather than through any dealers given the Indiegogo campaign is  only 15% off the expected retail price.  Will there be any US service facilities if something did happen to a unit?

Burson: The Indigogo campaign ends in 29 days and that's it.  In April, when the V2 is ready, they will be selling through our dealers network as usual and as for warranty, our sales office is in Southern California where our sales team and our warranty guys have been servicing the US market since 2012. : )  the Lycans selling in North America are assembled in Southern California.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #51 of 1,276
Hi guys,
had time to open up the Conductor V2+ case, here's a couple of shots!

Here's with my He-400i on top of it. Nicely finished, minimal design

Here's the internals, with the two big toroidal and the new ES9018S DAC board. You can see the big bad-ass capacitor of the Amp board beneath the DAC board

Here's the new ES9018S DAC board, it seem's that the design changed compared to the old Virtuoso's ES9018S DAC board. Maibe that's why it's not pin compatible with older Conductor.
On the right corner of the last photo you can see the new Xmos 6 core USB module.

I didn't take any shot beneath the DAC board as I'd have to unscrew a couple of things, but I can see Burson has done a great work in organizing space inside the aluminium case.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #53 of 1,276
  I asked a few questions that I thought others may be interested in regarding the Conductor v2 and v2+:

On the DAC side, I am not sure of the competition.  I have several of the LH Labs products using the ESS latest DAC chip and they are good at their price points but I am not sure I would consider them reference.  I still generally prefer to go back and listen to my PS Audio PWD MKII or even older Meridian 808.2i that don't do all the higher end files like DSD.    

Burson: The ESS9018 can be implemented in many different ways.  Our approach, in our own opinion is the most analogue sounding.   The way we like it.  

I can voucher for that, really a different sounding implementation of ESS DAC from burson audio.
I've had myself some LH labs portable products such as Geek Out IEM and Geek Out 1000, but this is a completely different presentation of sound. You still keep the strong features of the ESS chip such as ultimate details presentation, but never in a dry/unengaging manners. One thing I noticed is that I found myself unconsciously stomping feet/keeping the rhythm all the time i listen to Conductor V2+ 
beyersmile.png

Returning on the presentation of sound, It reminds me the more analogue sound of a Burr Brown PCM instead of a pure Sabre ESS.
Always keep in mind that I never had the opportunity to listen to any big ESS DAC before (such as Oppo Ha-1, GDAudio ecc..), only got to listen to the portable ESS dac I had such as Dragonly 1.2, GO IEM, GO 1000 and Oppo HA-2.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #54 of 1,276
You should post a link on the IDGG comments of your review impressions. Nice overview and pics.

Your comments reflect what Burson do with thier products make it sound true the music as possible with an analogue feel. I only heard a Soloist after I got a second hand OPPO HA1, very nice sound from the Soloist.

My money went on an Mr Speakers Ether.... not the wifes winter break....Time heals all purchases..

Keep the news coming...Good stuff Wakka.
Thanks..

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #55 of 1,276
If I can offer a tip as it really suprised me on my chain. Get a little tube of Caig Deoxit 2ml. Use a tiny amount on the 6.5mm and mini jacks on the HIFI MAN and your power IEC PINS and plug end. Leave a day then clean an repeat. See if it makes a difference.

Good luck
Dave..8^)

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #56 of 1,276
Appreciate getting your take on it Wakka.
Enjoy :slight_smile:

I'm keen to get my hands on one and compare it to the original. But that may take a while. So for now, I'll have to hear it vicariously through the ears of those lucky enough to have one!

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #57 of 1,276
If I can offer a tip as it really suprised me on my chain. Get a little tube of Caig Deoxit 2ml. Use a tiny amount on the 6.5mm and mini jacks on the HIFI MAN and your power IEC PINS and plug end. Leave a day then clean an repeat. See if it makes a difference.

Good luck
Dave..8^)

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this Caig Deoxit stuff, what is supposed to do? Improve conduction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back