New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Apr 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #272 of 1,276
I can't believe I am posting this -  My V2+ sounds better now than last week.  (I've not been a believer in "burn in"- warm up yes but burn in no)

Maybe it's all subjective.  I've had it playing 16h/d for almost 7 days now.  I did not do careful comparisons or anything - the sound just seems to have more detail and body.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #273 of 1,276
FYI I got answer from Burson that the Conductor V2+ uses a 3A fast blow type fuse.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #274 of 1,276
You're right Matias!
Thanks for the correction.

I remember having somewhat of a hard time finding fast-blow fuses. Its the slow-blow that are more common. I got that mixed up. My bad.

Good to know I can use the same fuse - the US$25 Synergy Hifi/Create fuse (not the eBay knock-offs). That's the only one I've tried, though.
http://www.synergyhifi.com/xproduct.asp?pid=161

They're not common, but here's one brief write up in them - he favoured them to a Hifi Tuning fuse - http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blog/98/audio-fuses-the-biggest-bftb/

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #275 of 1,276
Anyone has impressions to share about the V2 tonal balance compared to Soloist or Conductor? Specially matched with Audezes?

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #277 of 1,276
My V2 and timekeeper have arrived! (-:

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #278 of 1,276
So I've been comparing the new V2+ to my Soloist for a good part of the day with my Audeze LCD-4s.My early impressions are that the V2 + has the same familiar sound signature as the Soloist but with less grain and a larger perceived, 3D soundstage. Increased texture on instruments. To my ear it sounds like a cross between the Soloist and the Audio GD Master 9. This is a very good thing because these are my two favorite amps & so now I don't have to choose between them.

Physically, it runs cooler to the touch than the Soloist. It also has a larger footprint.

I also feel the Soloist may punch a little bit harder in the bass department.

As of right now, I am also getting random static from my right channel regardless of volume level or selected source.
I have changed headphone cables. Same thing. If I plug headphone cable directly into my Sony Dap, no static. It comes and goes thru the V2+. It'll be fine for a few minutes and then a bunch of low level random static in the right channel for several seconds as if it was a dirty connection but it's not. I even sprayed some Deoxit into the headphone jack to eliminate any kind of dirty connection as a possibility. Not good! I am monitoring this for now. If this thing has to go back to Australia, I hope they don't expect me to pay for that!

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #279 of 1,276
Sorry to hear about the static. Not good.
Intermittent issues like that can be the most frustrating.
Fingers crossed you can find a fix.

Encouraging to read that you thought the V2 offers more texture than the Soloist. 'Texture' seems to be what I'm chasing most. Hopefully, the bass will come through as it burns in.

I'm still waiting to find out when I might get my V2+. So keep your impressions coming people!! :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #280 of 1,276
I've been listening to the V2+ for 2 hours so far today and the intermittent static has not surfaced! I've done nothing different since yesterday to it after shutting it down last night.
The only difference is that yesterday when the issue occurred, the amp had been on for about 6 hours breaking in before I even started listening. The static would come in and out every few minutes for a second or two, sometimes cutting off the right channel altogether for a second. I even turned it off for a few minutes yesterday and back on, but issue remained. Today, so far, all is well after two hours of listening. Very strange.

As for the sound, it continues to impress. It has a very smooth,grain free signature yet retains that Burson energy and excitement. More texture and more transparent! Again, the bass "may" have hit a touch harder with the Soloist, but this is nitpicking if anything. It still has plenty of well controlled, impactful bass. More so than any amp that I've auditioned lately. Even though it has twice the power than the Soloist, it does not feel like it with my 200ohm LCD-4 headphones. I really have to crank it to get a good listening level just like on the Soloist. It "seems" to be no more powerful than the Soloist into this 200 ohm load. Still, plenty powerful though!

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #282 of 1,276
Good to know these impressions, thanks a lot! Details and low bass should increase a little as the amp burns in, I would expect. Interesting that it does not heat as much as the Soloist. Larger heatsink area maybe?

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #283 of 1,276
Good to know these impressions, thanks a lot! Details and low bass should increase a little as the amp burns in, I would expect. Interesting that it does not heat as much as the Soloist. Larger heatsink area maybe?

Yea, it's barely warm to the touch after running it for 4 hours! At the 4.5 hour mark, I heard the static noise appear again. It's only happened once today so I'm still monitoring the situation. So it seems heat related. Physically, the unit is out in the open on my nightstand. It's gotta be a cold solder on a transistor perhaps? No sure. I didn't start listening yesterday until the amp was on for 6 hours so I'm going to see if the static occurs more often the longer the amp is on. Yesterday it happened every few minutes after 6-7 hours of being on. So far today after four hours, only once have I heard the noise. A bit frustrating to say the least.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #284 of 1,276
Great detective work, Sherlock! :)

Annoying, all the same, though. Something that may be hard to pick up when testing... Or perhaps units can be left on over-night before they're tested?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #285 of 1,276
Yea, it's barely warm to the touch after running it for 4 hours! At the 4.5 hour mark, I heard the static noise appear again. It's only happened once today so I'm still monitoring the situation. So it seems heat related. Physically, the unit is out in the open on my nightstand. It's gotta be a cold solder on a transistor perhaps? No sure. I didn't start listening yesterday until the amp was on for 6 hours so I'm going to see if the static occurs more often the longer the amp is on. Yesterday it happened every few minutes after 6-7 hours of being on. So far today after four hours, only once have I heard the noise. A bit frustrating to say the least.

That is to bad.  I hope you get this sorted.  I've had really good luck with my V2+.  It's been playing for the last 6 days with no issues.  It gets better everyday.

I've had some issues with a ground loop though.  That's not the V2+s fault though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back