New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jun 22, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #571 of 744
I recently picked up an external power supply with a iec outlet input so I can pair my conductor 3 ref with a power cord of my choice. It is also a bit larger supply as well. I really like that I can use a much more ambitious power cord than the garden variety two pin inlet standard cord on the standard supply provided with the burson conductor 3 reference. For you owners out there just making a suggestion for you.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #572 of 744
I really like that I can use a much more ambitious power cord than the garden variety two pin inlet standard cord on the standard supply provided with the burson conductor 3 reference.
I don't know how much difference this would make since the AC frequency upsampling to 170kHz technically eliminates any remote possibility for noise entering the circuity from the power source.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #573 of 744
I recently picked up an external power supply with a iec outlet input so I can pair my conductor 3 ref with a power cord of my choice. It is also a bit larger supply as well. I really like that I can use a much more ambitious power cord than the garden variety two pin inlet standard cord on the standard supply provided with the burson conductor 3 reference. For you owners out there just making a suggestion for you.
Strongly not recommended! I've measured the AC ripple & noise of the original PSU from C3X and C3 and it was only few mV RMS. I strongly doubt that your new PSU would be any better, especially that adding the 3rd ping (Earth/GND) is not helpful in this case. You will also loose the warranty too.

Just stick with the original PSU that has several tests done by manufacturer.

P.S.: Feel free to search for my external PSU tests (a very low noise linear PSU) from the C3X thread. The output THD+N remained unchanged when tested the C3X with the original PSU vs. the big toroid linear PSU.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #574 of 744
Q:

1. Does a fanless pc with a linear PS improve on a laptop?
2. Does etherregen and SOTM usb-tx ultra improve sound?

Or does the Burson reference sound the same or better without these extras?

Please- only people who have actually tried these product- answer....

Thanks...

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #575 of 744
1. No. At least no if your SMPS PSU is a good one. Before I purchase a desktop PSU I always look for tests and measurements first, so I suggest you do the same. Besides output voltage and current the ripple and noise is an important decision factor too.

2. No, at least not under normal domestic circumstances. Look up for tests and measurements. Maybe if you have some crappy laptop with a really crappy USB port an external +5V injector might help.

Burson C3 will measure and will sound the same under all of the above circumstances! I measured both C3 Ref. and C3X Ref. on jack out and with headphones connected (I measured headphones sound profile), also tested with at least 10 laptops and desktops.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #576 of 744
I currently have a Audio-gd R-7HE regenerative PS DAC and the Audio-gd HE-9 Regenerative headphone amp.

They sound stunning and they improve with a fanless PC with teddy pardo PSU, etherregen and reclockers. I even have a mutec 10mhz ref 10 se-120 OXCO clock.

My problem, is all this equipment is to gigantic. I want a smaller system.

I am not foolish enough to think this Burson will match my mighty Audio-gd system, but my hope is I will get 90% of the sound and cut the size by 3/4.

My concern is I will only get 70% of the sound- and it may be a more realistic.

I'm scared to take the plunge..

It is very hard for me to believe the burson is immune to the incoming signal. My Audio-gd system with a laptop vs fanless PC with external linear PS has a noticable change.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #577 of 744
Hello,
i'm in love with my burson 3 reference so far :)
I had a THX amp before, and i found it too analytical , now im happy so far !

i have a tricky question, but i dont want fight :) Is a very good cable USB important for this amp/dac?

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #578 of 744
i have a tricky question, but i dont want fight :) Is a very good cable USB important for this amp/dac?
I don't want to open up a can of worms, but I'm confident you'll be just fine with a regular printer or phone USB cable.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #580 of 744
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/super-charger-3a/

What would you do? I'm thinking about it. 20% off until end of month. My optical cable cost me the same amount and I'm pleased it wasn't snake oil. If this one has the same effect and clicks performance another notch up (hard to believe the "whole new level" in the description), I'm in.

Where's Raoultrifan we need your take on this one :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #581 of 744
Me here, mate. :ksc75smile:

I'll have one soon and have it measured on my oscilloscope, but I am sure it will have an even lower AC ripple & noise than the original PSU from Conductor. Having a second PSU, at least as a backup, is always a good thing, especially that the Supercharger is quite small and easy to carry around, even in vacation.

For a lower AC ripple & noise the Supercharger might be a good addition to an audio system, although we all know that inside the Conductor there are plenty of low-noise linear regulators that handle very well noises that come from the AC mains. I've heard couple of headfiers having strange noises when using Conductor without any sort of grounding on the RCA/XLR plugs (entire audio system was having floating ground), so maybe those might benefit from the Supercharger too.

I would not expect a night & day difference when swapping the original PSU with the Supercharger, but like I said, a smaller and nicer and lower noise PSU would be a good addition to everyone's audio system.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #582 of 744
I knew you already had it coming :beyersmile:

Let's see what it has to say then.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #584 of 744
does Anyone have a preference on which cans have synergy with this amp?
I had tremendous synergy with my Quad Era-1, Focal Clear and Ether CX.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #585 of 744
does Anyone have a preference on which cans have synergy with this amp?
Due to its very low internal impedance, its high amount of power but also due its adjustable gain it will drive any can you want. The days when the output stage of a headamp was influenced by the impedance of the cans used or by the inductance of the longer cables are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back