New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #331 of 744
While it's great to read all the recent glowing reviews of the V3, what is still missing is a direct comparative review against established products. I recall a review of the V2+ in the Headphoneer from 2017. As an owner of the V3, hobbyist and enthusiast I occasionally visit high-end audio shows. I can only go by memory (using the same cans), R2R products sounded very engaging but I would argue the V3 holds it's own and definitely plays in the top league at a more affordable price point.

Keep in mind the V3 has really three strong points that make it uniquely stand out: the innovative power supply design, the DAC analog filter/gain stage and, last but not least, the implementation of the dual ES9038q2m, which is a chipset used in many newer and excellent performing DAC's.

I hope Mr. Headphoneer will bring us a 2020 update soon....

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #332 of 744
People that compare the sound between different chip and don't understand that implementation is also a part of the equation don't have a clue imo. I personally put zero trust in such comments. As always YMMV.....

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #333 of 744
People that compare the sound between different chip and don't understand that implementation is also a part of the equation don't have a clue imo. I personally put zero trust in such comments. As always YMMV.....
Yes, lots that goes into a great DAC. The chip is probably 20% of the story. I own an R2R DAC and love it. But, I have heard many DACs better than my current DAC (Vinshine R2R Reference), none of which were R2R. So, whatever the engineers are doing with power supply and all the other parts seems to create something special. I could care less that the Burson is a delta sigma DAC. I care more about what I am hearing and what people I respect are hearing. I haven't gotten the chance to hear it yet, but so far it is being touted as soft, detailed and musical. All terms lavished on R2R DACs. Go figure...

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #335 of 744
Not at this amount of power. I actually think this is one of a kind in the world right now, unless anyone is aware of another "beast" able to deliver such amount of power.
The Wells Audio Milo puts out this much power, just no DAC. Sounds like the C3 is a pretty special piece.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #336 of 744
While it's great to read all the recent glowing reviews of the V3, what is still missing is a direct comparative review against established products. I recall a review of the V2+ in the Headphoneer from 2017. As an owner of the V3, hobbyist and enthusiast I occasionally visit high-end audio shows. I can only go by memory (using the same cans), R2R products sounded very engaging but I would argue the V3 holds it's own and definitely plays in the top league at a more affordable price point.

Keep in mind the V3 has really three strong points that make it uniquely stand out: the innovative power supply design, the DAC analog filter/gain stage and, last but not least, the implementation of the dual ES9038q2m, which is a chipset used in many newer and excellent performing DAC's.

I hope Mr. Headphoneer will bring us a 2020 update soon....
I did a brief A/B test against V2+ last week, but with the randomly chosen songs it was impossible to tell a winner. In 2020 most of the new audio devices are measuring that well that our ears might not be able to tell a difference with ease. I will dive deep into this more in the coming days and get back with a compare between C3X/CV2/Playmate.

Meanwhile, C3X has way much more power than CV2+, the ability to play DSD512 and 32-bits audio files and to do playback at high-res. quality via BT.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #337 of 744
The Wells Audio Milo puts out this much power,
Hey, nice finding, thanks for that, seems that it can rich to 12W/32Ohms and 0.77W/600 Ohms, quite impressive figure.
Although I was able to push C3X to 14.75 Watts/30 Ohms just around clipping stage, so a clean free from distortions output of 14W/30 Ohms is achievable.
I also got 1.26W/600 Ohms with my C3X, so it's definitely one of the most powerful headamps in the world for sure.

Just found now Enigma and Headtrip II headamps from Wells Audio that can actually rich to 25W/32 Ohms and 1.8W/600 Ohms, so this is probably the most powerful ever built on Earth. :) However, it's internal design looks more like a speakers amp than a headphones amp, also its price is on pair too. :)

L.E.: Just realised that Wells Audio headamps from above are using a fixed internal gain of +30dB; that means an amplification factor of almost 32X, which will make these headamps impossible to pair with most of existing cans due to the background noise and very high volume. Hope that someone can do a custom order for these amps with a much lower gain (at most +24dB).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #338 of 744
Hey, nice finding, thanks for that, seems that it can rich to 12W/32Ohms and 0.77W/600 Ohms, quite impressive figure.
Although I was able to push C3X to 14.75 Watts/30 Ohms just around clipping stage, so a clean free from distortions output of 14W/30 Ohms is achievable.
I also got 1.26W/600 Ohms with my C3X, so it's definitely one of the most powerful headamps in the world for sure.

Just found now Enigma and Headtrip II headamps from Wells Audio that can actually rich to 25W/32 Ohms and 1.8W/600 Ohms, so this is probably the most powerful ever built on Earth. :) However, it's internal design looks more like a speakers amp than a headphones amp, also its price is on pair too. :)
Exactly. Jeff Wells built the Headtrip and Enigma to mirror the sound and design of his Innomorata Speaker Amps. The Wells sound is extremely musical and quite something. Especially the Headtrip. Insane piece of kit, for a lot of cash...:) The C3X is extremely powerful. Can't wait to read your review. I used to own a Milo. Loved it for it's midrange and overall musical nature.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #339 of 744
Too bad they don't have a two-gain selector, one for +30dB and another one for...let's say +20dB. This will make their headamps compatible with much more cans.
Unfortunately my review will need to wait, week maybe, because I might be received a beta-test or pre-production unit. I'm waiting Burson to send me a new unit, hope in January, so I can compare figures and findings and then I'll be able to publish my review.

Meanwhile I was ale to find this huge amount of power and a SNR of 120dB.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #340 of 744
A question for the C3 thread subscribers - might it be possible to use both the 6.3mm headphone outputs to run a balanced pair of headphones via an adapter, like the way the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ works?

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #341 of 744
A question for the C3 thread subscribers - might it be possible to use both the 6.3mm headphone outputs to run a balanced pair of headphones via an adapter, like the way the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ works?

If you have the proper adapter, yes but it is running the balanced cable as a single ended since the separate grounds become a common ground into the adapter.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #342 of 744
Per https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/manuals/Brooklyn_DAC+_manual.pdf:
"Headphone Output Section, Dual Mono, with Balanced Operation mode [500mA, 6 Watts]. Left jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute phase. Right jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute out of phase. A special 2x 1/4" jack to 4 pin FXLR allows for connection of single balanced headpones. Balanced headphones will play twice as loud (+6dB) as unbalanced headphones with output voltage swing of +-12V and output impedance below 0.5 Ohm".

AFAIK C3Ref's amplifier works either in bridged mode, either in dual stereo, so there is no way to correctly drive balanced headphones like you intend to.

Instead you could buy a 4-pin to 3-pole adapter, so you can safely use balanced cans from the jack socket: https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Femal...er/dp/B00KQRN306#immersive-view_1578051021600. Or you can lookup for the pinout and build one yourself, like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back