New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #646 of 1,256
Burson is no longer selling the v1.6 Play, so any comparisons are only valuable to people now buying used v1.6 Plays or companies selling the last of their stock.

I was going to do a thorough comparison (way more than I posted in the review seen in my sig), but Burson actually told me not to bother with that part. I am still waiting to see their in-house performance measurements on the v2.0, once I have that I'll publish my own measurements.

It seems like people are more likely to watch video reviews these days than read a full length review. I guess I better start practicing my video production!

Edit: I just noticed that on Burson's website they say the Play can do DSD256 and 32-bit/384kHz PCM/FLAC. Has anyone been able to play either of those formats at that quality on the Play? If so what software did you use. I never saw it go over DSD128 or 192kHz. If it can, I need to update my review to reflect that.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #647 of 1,256
I'm confused as hell. This is what the Play registers on my friend's Razer laptop. Now I think it's normal that the Play registers not 1, but 2 entries in the Device Manager, the USB Audio Device one doesn't do anything and it's the XMOS X1-U8 MFA that outputs sound.
On my computer it didn't have any problem. I used the Play to play Battlefield 1 and listened to music via foobar. No problem at all. Now my friend, when he uses foobar, he told me that music has a bit of noise - it's there, but not quite a lot. Then on YouTube, everything else that has to go through Windows, it's noisy as hell.
I really don't know what is wrong here, but obviously it's not the Play itself. I've taken the unit back, it's flawless. Sure Windows DS is crap and we don't know how the processing goes through that. The fact that my friend's laptop is a Razer - yes it's crappy - doesn't help either.

Regardless this means my friend can't join the Play tour. Kinda sucks for him.

Untitled.png

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #648 of 1,256
I'm confused as hell. This is what the Play registers on my friend's Razer laptop. Now I think it's normal that the Play registers not 1, but 2 entries in the Device Manager, the USB Audio Device one doesn't do anything and it's the XMOS X1-U8 MFA that outputs sound.
On my computer it didn't have any problem. I used the Play to play Battlefield 1 and listened to music via foobar. No problem at all. Now my friend, when he uses foobar, he told me that music has a bit of noise - it's there, but not quite a lot. Then on YouTube, everything else that has to go through Windows, it's noisy as hell.
I really don't know what is wrong here, but obviously it's not the Play itself. I've taken the unit back, it's flawless. Sure Windows DS is crap and we don't know how the processing goes through that. The fact that my friend's laptop is a Razer - yes it's crappy - doesn't help either.

Is your friend using Razer surround with the Play? That might be what is causing issues. I think you have to tell Razer surround to turn on or off for each audio device, it probbally defaults to on, on razer laptops.
It would not be applied when using ASIO which would explain why it works fine.

Could also try totally removing all XMOS drivers from PC and then reconnecting the Play and just use the drivers windows finds. I had to do that on my PC to get it to work correctly. The drivers off bursons website caused issues.

It is supposed to show 2 devices, as one is the microphone.

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #649 of 1,256

What it shows is the right name for the device, if you look in my review, I give that exact name on the first page of the review. So it's registering the part that is important (the XMOS device). The other device is only needed for the mic I believe (Burson correct me if I am wrong), so don't worry about the other one if it works. The noise could be many things, do they have many op-amps to swap around to see if you can change the noise. Is this sibilance distortion? As in the shhhh sound.

There is a small chance the ES9018K2M actually does play a role in the output, which the more I thought about it, the more I think it has to. Nothing else on that board can decode pure I2S output from the XMOS except for the ES9018K2M. If Burson would confirm this for us, it wouldn't be a assumption/question anymore.

BTW, I tried to decode DSD256 just now using the DSD-Processor in foobar2000 and the Play rejected the track. Then I turned it down to DSD128, it went through with no problem. I think the XMOS is rated for DSD256, but the ES9018K2M is not. This would explain why it can't go past DSD128 but the other HW is rated for DSD256 and 32-bit 384kHz FLAC (neither work for me). I am using the v2.0 Play with a brand new XMOS module from Burson (bought an extra one with a newer revision chip). Still the Play can't do DSD256 in foobar2000. Do I have to use ASIO is there some way you can do this? It's not like the ES9038Pro where I have a bunch of menu settings and things I can change, all I can do in foobar2000 is change the output device to whatever it needs to be. If someone knows the trick please share! I should also mention it does appear that 32-bit audio is working, but not the rest of it.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #650 of 1,256
I'm impressed with Play's sound quality, especially with V6 Vivid op-amps. It's neutral, but precise, with deep bass, airy highs and clean and resolving midrange. I also enjoy the wide soundstage with V6 Vivid. I had a chance to check also V6 Classic and Basic configurations. I prefer V6 Vivid over the V6 Classic, but I also like a little warmer, smoother and more midrange-focused sound of V6 Classic. In my opinion, V6 Classic works great in jazz music, but Vivid version is more versatile. Play Basic is also quite nice - it's dynamic, neutral and clean but mild. For my taste, its soundstage is too narrow - V6 configurations sounds much more spacious.

I haven't checked mixing V6 op-amps yet. Perhaps V6 Vivid in the DAC stage and Classic in the AMP stage is a good way to go.

If you're interested, my review is available at https://kropka.audio/test/wzmacniacze/burson-play-basic-v6-vivid-oraz-v6-classic-recenzja/. It's written in Polish, but Google Translate should do. If not, maybe It's worth checking the photos.

Hi. I have read reviews of the Cayin N5ii and Fiio X5iii on kropka. I just wanted to be sure about the comparison. Which of the two according to you has better sonic qualities in single ended without the aid of any other external amp

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #651 of 1,256
Well I think it’s Windows that’s causing the interference as ASIO is the only difference here.
yes i think its windows while using youtube its clear and while using vlc its c
lear but if used in games like RanibowSix Siege, battlefield 3,4,1 its creating noise need assiatance
https://www.head-fi.org/members/raoultrifan.386058/
https://www.head-fi.org/members/ncsuzoso.382211/
to dig further since i won 3 different play with the different set opamps

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #652 of 1,256
NCSUZoSo, Seems that I'm unable to play DSD 256/11.2MHz audio files if the Bitstreaming > DSD checkbox is checked in my jRiver/MC player I'm using. This is happening in Win10 and HighSierra as well. So, if I uncheck Bitstreaming-to-DSD I'm able to play 11.2 MHz files play just fine.
This might be related to https://www.xmos.com/download/priva...evice-Reference-Design-Software(1.0.2rc1).pdf:
"XMOS offers the Mulit-Function Audio platform2 which supports DSD64 and DSD128. XMOS does not currently provide any development hardware capable of DSD256. It is assumed that the reader has access to either a modified development board connected to suitable DAC, or custom hardware with the appropriate XMOS device, DAC and associated support components."

The DACs from this article should natively play DSD256 format files: http://gate.primeseat.net/en/howtodsd256.html, in case someone wants to try their drivers (though, might not work, so not recommended).

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #653 of 1,256
selvakumar, WilliamLeonhart, if PLAY makes this noise when not connected to USB's computer port, then it might be broken and BURSON will most likely replace the inside USB transporter, but I'm sure this is not the case, right? The noise appears only when connected to that specific computer/laptop, right?

If so, then you could disable all drivers from Device Manager and leave enabled only the "XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST)", the one for the PLAY unit, then make this driver as Default Device and see if you can play the game you like. For listening to the music I can't recommend to leave PLAY's driver to be default audio device, instead choose another one and choose the correct playback devices from within the audio player you're using to play music tracks.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #654 of 1,256
selvakumar, WilliamLeonhart, if PLAY makes this noise when not connected to USB's computer port, then it might be broken and BURSON will most likely replace the inside USB transporter, but I'm sure this is not the case, right? The noise appears only when connected to that specific computer/laptop, right?

If so, then you could disable all drivers from Device Manager and leave enabled only the "XMOS XS1-U8 MFA (ST)", the one for the PLAY unit, then make this driver as Default Device and see if you can play the game you like. For listening to the music I can't recommend to leave PLAY's driver to be default audio device, instead choose another one and choose the correct playback devices from within the audio player you're using to play music tracks.
did the same thing but no improvement i thnk recent update in windows 10 makes this noise need further guidence

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #658 of 1,256

Yeah it only happened on that specific laptop so far. Another friend of mine had the same Play for 2 weeks. I used it with 3 computers in total. No problem whatsoever. I really can’t tell what’s the problem is. It’s just plug-n-play

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #660 of 1,256
I missed the part of the thread on the Play's board replacement and just ordered it along with the Classics V6 for the DAC section.

Well, that is my favorite of the Burson Audio arrangements for the Play and not just because it is most expensive. I tried out all of the op-amps below and Sparkos Labs + Orange Amplification. However I needed the Sparkos Labs for the competition equipment, so I couldn't run those in the Play unless I didn't have the ES9038P going.

I have tried V5-OPA, V6-OPA Classics, and V6-OPA Vivids. It all depends on your speakers/headphones what is going to be "best". There is no overall "answer" for the best across all platforms and loudspeaker/headphone designs. If interested see my review in sig for info on your setup. I use the V6 OPA Classics exclusively in that review for a few reasons. Mainly when I ran the internal amplifier to the 1/4" headphone out with the 2x V6-OPA-S Classics, it had such a natural quality, where for me in the EL-8's (Planar magnetic) the Vivids seemed to try a little too hard and made it slightly fatiguing when compared to the Classics. These are minute details that take hours of listening to make a solid opinion on.

I wanted it to be a DAC/Amp review and not an op-amp rolling mess on top of a review. Note that I run Audeze EL-8 open-backs for most of my evaluating except where I mention my Wharfedales.

So instead I changed my digital transport method from Coax to I2S over CAT6A Belden Catsnake™ and I made a custom balanced EL-8 cable sourced by materials like Blue Dragon balanced
headphone cable from Moon Audio and they have one of the best prices on replacement EL-8 connectors! Haha, all of this was after 80% of the review was written. I couldn't make it too easy/dry.

Let me say here first, that the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable + EL-8 connectors made a HUGE improvement. I could even listen in real time to how they differed since the EL-8's cans are completely isolated from the other can. This isn't true in a lot of headphones, especially those that use a single connection :D It seemed almost every aspect of the sound was improved from dynamics to sound stage and placement. I can't say for sure how much of this had to do with the sAp-10 being performance focused on the XLR 4-pin output with the 1/4" output as an afterthought? I only have one amplifier that can take in balanced signals and that is the sAp-10. The cost of entry to XLR is FAR too high, with a few exceptions, like the sAp-10 ($199 in 5/2018)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back