New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
May 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #556 of 1,256
Review is now posted here

PM to Burson regarding who the next tour member is.

May 21, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #557 of 1,256
Great review, Wiljen...you've published some details missing from other reviews (case alignment a.s.o.).

Also, my reply: "When used with 32-ohms headphones, PLAY's output impedance is <1-ohm (feel free to measure by yourself); probably when using 8-ohms cans the output impedance would be much higher! Also, don't forget there're no resistors or capacitors in signal path at the output of the output stage, there're just the output transistors and the protective relay".

I've no idea why Burson is publishing that high impedance in their specs. However, I don't remember what was the output impedance I measured with 16-ohms dummy resistor (perhaps somewhere between 1-2 ohms), but I've tested it with 16-ohms IEMs and there was no bass roll-off at all, hence no compatibility issues with >=16-ohms headphones.

Please, remember that when using SS V5/V6 solid-state op-amp,s PLAY has no op-amps in signal path, nor caps. All you get is transistors (output stage biased into Class-A) and few resistors, which is great for it's price!

May 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #558 of 1,256
I agree very good review, I almost got one of these off amazon some months ago, now that I want one they don't sell them, where can someone buy one..Thanks

May 21, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #559 of 1,256
I agree very good review, I almost got one of these off amazon some months ago, now that I want one they don't sell them, where can someone buy one..Thanks
You can order directly from Burson's website:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/play/

Burson also has a presence on head-fi and facebook (and they're quite responsive too) so I'd not hesitate to pop them a message.

May 26, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #560 of 1,256
Just got v2.2 PCB from BURSON, thanks to Charles. Not sure if there're differences between the former v2.1 and this one.

IMG_1341 copy.jpg

However, using 32-ohms sensitive cans is enjoyable now, I can't hear the background noise anymore. I can also listen to music when using very sensitive 16-ohms IEM's as well, so background noise was reduced a lot, so quite an accomplishment I'd say.

So, I've tested the Basic version of PLAY (rev. v2.2) that costs only $299 and I realised that this is the best bang for the buck at this moment.
I'm only aware of ProJect S Box and Topping D50 at the about the same price, but the 2 devices are lacking the powerful headamp, so...not sure of any other equipment I should be comparing the Basic PLAY with. Right now, I'm not aware of any other external USB DAC with such a powerful Class-A headphone amplifier at <$500, hence my initial rating of 4.5* from my review is getting upgraded to a clear 5*: Burson Play, so great job BURSON!

Probably the most expensive version of PLAY could be compared, technically speaking, with the balanced Schiit Jotuheim DAC/headamp, at least regarding their similar price range. However, the 2 devices are very different and also their customers are most likely different (PLAY is more desk/office computer oriented).

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #561 of 1,256
Hi Guys,

Thank you again for your support for Burson and the Head-fi community.

There is an optional tweak which may slightly improve the sonic performance of the Burson Play.

There are two caps on the main board designed to ensure the stability of the Play when using our own Burson V5i opamps. However, after extensive testing, we realized that this feature is overkilled and totally unnecessary. Furthermore, we realized that without these two caps, the Play sounds a little more refined.

These two red caps are indicated in the photo below. Firstly, please power down and disconnect the Play from power! Then you can simply use a small plier to pull them out like pulling out a tooth. : ) It won't damage the PCB at all but please mindful of other components around them.

Of course, this is an optional tweak and the Play functions perfectly with or without it. However, all Burson Plays from now on will ship without these two caps.

Burson-Play-MKP-Tweak.jpg

Happy listening,
Dennis

Not related to the caps above and the audio quality, also totally not recommended to read further, but just in case someone wants to get rid of the beautiful 5-years warranty provided by BURSON: in the place of the above 2 caps you can solder 4-5 kOhms resistors to lower a bit Class-A amplifier's gain. You could also solder pins and then insert whatever resistors you might like to test the desired output voltage you might like.

The former 220pF caps were used in parallel with the existing 2.1 kOhms resistors from just below the removed caps, so in place of the removed caps you cold parallel 4-5 kOhms resistors to lower down the output voltage of the amplifier.
Like I said before, this mod is totally not recommended because you might damage the device and you'll definitelly loose your warranty!

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #562 of 1,256
Just got v2.2 PCB from BURSON, thanks to Charles. Not sure if there're differences between the former v2.1 and this one.

However, using 32-ohms sensitive cans is enjoyable now, I can't hear the background noise anymore. I can also listen to music when using very sensitive 16-ohms IEM's as well, so background noise was reduced a lot, so quite an accomplishment I'd say.

So, I've tested the Basic version of PLAY (rev. v2.2) that costs only $299 and I realised that this is the best buck for the buck at this moment.
I'm only aware of ProJect S Box and Topping D50 at the about the same price, but the 2 devices are lacking the powerful headamp, so...not sure of any other equipment I should be comparing the Basic PLAY with. Right now, I'm not aware of any other external USB DAC with such a powerful Class-A headphone amplifier at <$500, hence my initial rating of 4.5* from my review is getting upgraded to a clear 5*: Burson Play, so great job BURSON!

Probably the most expensive version of PLAY could be compared, technically speaking, with the balanced Schiit Jotuheim DAC/headamp, at least regarding their similar price range. However, the 2 devices are very different and also their customers are most likely different (PLAY is more desk/office computer oriented).

I can see two caps missing on your board vs a previous board.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #565 of 1,256
Thanks for the kind words, I think you did an admirable job and you made the front page so it looks like some of the management thinks so too.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #566 of 1,256
Thanks for the kind words, I think you did an admirable job and you made the front page so it looks like some of the management thinks so too.

Thank you :L3000:

So, I've tested the Basic version of PLAY (rev. v2.2) that costs only $299 and I realised that this is the best bang for the buck at this moment.

Even when the Play suffered from hissing sound I was more than willing to give it 5 stars, because IMHO i'ts perfectly ok for such a powerful amp to have hissing noise with IEMs - otherwise I'd have to complain about some of my favourite amps because they can't drive the HD650/6xx properly. I don't recall any differences between the older version and newer version when used with my high-imp cans.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #567 of 1,256

I just purchased the Play, the V5i version and I'll look at Op Amp rolling at a later stage. The above post raises a question - how do I tell if which PCB I have? The unit doesn't have a serial number which surprised me, unless it's inside the case.

I bought them to drive my HD580s and also my Flare Pros. Very impressed so far and the unit sounds better and better the more I use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back