New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #378 of 1,256
I'm not aware of any other combo at this price (299$). However, Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U+ is having a Class-A amplifier inside; some thoughts about it could be read here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/matrix-m-stage.12045/reviews.

I'm not sure how if the 2 DACs can be compared, given the fact that inside technologies are different, but I know for sure that PLAY is having twice more powerful output-stage (transistors and surrounding resistor), despite the fact that HPA-3U+ is providing a higher gain and output power. Not willing to dive deep more into this right now because it's off-topic...sorry.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #379 of 1,256
Hey!
" The new batch contains a few improvements both on built and sonic performance. Its remote control is further refined and its aluminum finishing also goes up a level. In terms of performance, it is also a step forward. Especially when powered be certain types of budgeted PC internal power supplies, the new revision is better at filtering and conditioning power resulting in a quieter background when paired with sensitive headphones. "
kebcy

Seems that will fix exactly the main problems I've had with my Play and I have reported some time ago ( however in my case the provided adapter was more noisy than a PC PSU ).

I'm still a bit in doubt about the I/V and LP stages. I think I will ask Alex for clarifications, because I've asked for a customized build - V6 Vivid in I/V and Classic in LPF.
The one I had was customized with one V6 Vivid in center and the Classics in the left and the right - accordingly with their schematics.

Didn't had any questions about that because there is also an other implementation for a DAC who has a single OP-AMP for I/V and a dual for LPF for each channel and I thought this is the one they choose:
IVconverter.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #380 of 1,256
Eiffel, not sure what you posted above, but this is not what's inside the PLAY. Please read https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-25#post-14133736. There's nothing to improve to I/V nor to LPF inside PLAY, unless you want to heavily mod it with resistors instead of opamps or with Luhmann transformers (not recommended anyway, not much space inside for that).

The improvement everyone else is waiting is definitely related to what kebcy said before" "the new revision is better at filtering and conditioning power resulting in a quieter background when paired with sensitive headphones".

P.S.: The 2 x SS V6 Classic are the I/V stage and the Vivid is the LPF. Please read the last 2 pages and also the link from above showing the schematic from inside PLAY and https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-23#post-14128905.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #381 of 1,256
Hey!

Any suggestions how should I test later, my Play! under music? What kind of music player should I use? This Play! really works like "plug and play" plus the XMOS driver install? It really "skips" the actual sound card, or do I have to remove it, and or simply it's enough to disable it? What about the on-board sound card? Is it necessary to disable from bios?

ASIO4All will be a good start, or JRiver media player? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Kebcy

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #382 of 1,256
NO ASIO4ALL!!! Just install the XMOS driver from Burson downloads webpage, get your PLAY connected and that's about it.

Make sure the XMOS/PLAY card is not the default soundcard; the onboard card should be the default playback device. XMOS (PLAY) should be manually chosen as playback devices on your software/player.

Usually Foobar and jRiver are the ones most people is using.

In case you got some really sensitive cans around, perhaps some 16 ohms IEMs, it would be good.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #383 of 1,256
I'm still a bit in doubt about the I/V and LP stages. I think I will ask Alex for clarifications, because I've asked for a customized build - V6 Vivid in I/V and Classic in LPF.
The one I had was customized with one V6 Vivid in center and the Classics in the left and the right - accordingly with their schematics.
I've talked with Alex about it, they've made a mistake in manual and it's fixed right now when you check their website. They use 2x I/V and 1x LP as @raoultrifan stated in his posts earlier.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #384 of 1,256
NO ASIO4ALL!!! Just install the XMOS driver from Burson downloads webpage, get your PLAY connected and that's about it.

Make sure the XMOS/PLAY card is not the default soundcard; the onboard card should be the default playback device. XMOS (PLAY) should be manually chosen as playback devices on your software/player.

Usually Foobar and jRiver are the ones most people is using.

In case you got some really sensitive cans around, perhaps some 16 ohms IEMs, it would be good.

Thank you!

So I simply let it on enable, but how do use this under games? I mean.. I still have to choose the XMOS? I guess.

Well, Beyerdynamic Amiron considered to be a pretty sensitive planar can, if I am not mistaken, yeah?

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #385 of 1,256
Eiffel, not sure what you posted above, but this is not what's inside the PLAY. Please read https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-25#post-14133736. There's nothing to improve to I/V nor to LPF inside PLAY, unless you want to heavily mod it with resistors instead of opamps or with Luhmann transformers (not recommended anyway, not much space inside for that).

The improvement everyone else is waiting is definitely related to what kebcy said before" "the new revision is better at filtering and conditioning power resulting in a quieter background when paired with sensitive headphones".

P.S.: The 2 x SS V6 Classic are the I/V stage and the Vivid is the LPF. Please read the last 2 pages and also the link from above showing the schematic from inside PLAY and https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-23#post-14128905.

What I posted above is the way I thinked before they made it - after reading the last pages I've understand they made a mistake - but was not sure about - the draws I've posted it's just another kind of implementation which I believed they used - based on the wrong schematics they provided. I'm not interested about making changes in the draws.

About the improvements - as you know - I had issues with the hum generated but the power adapter - so better filtering I'm sure will help.
Also the remote I had was not well finished - not anodized aluminium, but painted - started to exfoliate a bit inside.

I've talked with Alex about it, they've made a mistake in manual and it's fixed right now when you check their website. They use 2x I/V and 1x LP as @raoultrifan stated in his posts earlier.
Thanks for clarification, in this case I have to talk with them to change the customisation before they send it to me.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #386 of 1,256
Thank you!

So I simply let it on enable, but how do use this under games? I mean.. I still have to choose the XMOS? I guess.

Well, Beyerdynamic Amiron considered to be a pretty sensitive planar can, if I am not mistaken, yeah?

If you can't choose the output audio device from your gane then yes you need to set it up as default audio device under Windows. The reason why is not recommended to set it up as default playback audio device in Windows Sound panel is that while doing critical listening you don't really want another software from your computer to start playing something (your open browser or another software).

With Amiron you should hear no noise at all, so no worries about the perfect pairing. :)

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #387 of 1,256
Also the remote I had was not well finished - not anodized aluminium, but painted - started to exfoliate a bit inside.

Sorry to hear that. :frowning2:
I dropped mine several times on the floor, also pack it in the backpack and rolled it over on the desk and on my sweated hands (and in the hand of 2nd other reviewers), still no signs of wear yet.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #388 of 1,256
Mine was exfoliated seriously inside - after removing the cover all the laterals were white and some tiny paint foils have dropped.- it's one of the reasons they suspected it's a pre-production one.
Completely different from the quality of the Air remote - that was anodized ant looks perfect.

The reason why is not recommended to set it up as default playback audio device in Windows Sound panel is that while doing critical listening you don't really want another software from your computer to start playing something (your open browser or another software).

If you use ASIO that never happens. Even in Wasapi this shouldn't happen - but here you can accidentally change the output volume. But yes - as the games don't know about ASIO or Wasapi, there are not many options.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #389 of 1,256
Maybe my computer is just acting strange but i have the newest USB drivers for my USB controllers that i can find.

When i use the drivers windows finds automatically, i can select 24bit - 384KHz, and when i install the xmos driver from burson i can maximum select 24bit - 192KHz is there a reason for this?

and why can i not select 32bit - 192Khz or 384KHz? shouldn't that option also appear in my list?

RUnfRuW.jpg

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #390 of 1,256
I really dont know what's wrong, I've never had problems with my Fidelio X2+ V-moda boom pro mic before the Play. Before the Play I was using a Creative X7. I've been in contact with Burson and they've been very responsive but cant pinpoint the problem.

C-Bass are you using the 6.35mm adapter that came with the Play? When did you receive your unit? Do you hear any static noise if you use the volume wheel on the V-moda cable?

I've also been having problems, that were referred here, with the headphone port, it seems a bit loose and if I use the 6.35mm adapter whenever i touch headphone 3.5mm plug i get some static. If I use cable ending in a 6.35mm I dont get this.

Any suggestions? Should I test the Play on another computer ?

Got a chance to test. I have zero of these issues. No static noise when using volume on V-Moda either. Maybe your V-Moda is toast. If it’s the play I hope burson is working with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back