NEW Brainwavz R1 - Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones!!!
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #61 of 80
Quote:
i just ordered 2, one for my bro and one for me!

and luckily there's free fedex service!!

Me too, just got them today. I have been using them 3 hrs straight. I like what I hear. I had M2 and still own Gr02 BE.

Compare to M2, R1 is the better phone. Vocal does not take a step back when bass come into play. With M2 I felt bass is kinda loose, not integrated to the song. Trebel slightly better than M2. R1 has clarity that M2 does not.

Compare to GR02 BE, R1 bass is definitely bigger. While GR02 BE is nice, after a while it became boring. For me R1 is the fun version of GR02 BE.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #62 of 80
got mine yesterday!.. been playing around with them comparing them to my ue400's hippo vb's and tf10's using my laptop, zune, e6, brand new purchased with them e17 (because it was cheaper than I've seen it anywhere) =p and my dads onkyo integra a8500..
they sound best laptop - e17dac - onkyo obviously so i went with that to test them..
overall b+ id say, a+ for the price..
they don't sound quite as smooth as the ue400s but definitely more detail.. you notice the dual drivers when u have something like the xx islands playing with heavy low bass is coming through at the same time as vocals and instrumentals.. unlike the ue400's and the vb's the highs stay nice and present instead of fading off..
not quite as detailed or open as tf10's but much closer than either of my other iems..
It might just be placebo but they seem to improve a great deal depending on how much available power you throw at them..
while they sound ok coming straight out of the zune or laptop they improve alot with the e17 or onkyo mostly in the low end punch but also the highs gain a bit more clarity.. where as the zune just doest seem to have enough juice to push everything.. the e6 seems to make them brighter if does anything at all..
the isolation is pretty good with the dual flanges and the comply, i wore them on the train and only heard the loudest of shrieks of the tracks or screaming baby's.. bit of noise leaking out but nothing that would bother people in a public place..

either way these are my new casual headphones, it'll be interesting to see how they go walking or jogging..
only issue is I'm not quite sure how to wear them.. and cant figure out how to tell which is left and which is right :p.. maybe I'm just silly..

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #64 of 80
I posted my initial thoughts in the other thread which is now locked. So I will continue here. First post can be found here.

Just over 24 hours of burn-in. BB King and Amy Winehouse still vocalize with restriction, which breaks my heart as I love the strength of the untouched bass. My CX-55 provided great clarity and presence for vocals and melodies, bass-EQ'd was the cherry on top - providing a warm envelope that hugged the strength of the IEM. The best way I can describe the R1 is: excellent bass and supportive instrumentation with the catch of having vocals and melodies take a step back so said strengths can make their presence become more obvious. I totally understand what a U sound signature is now.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #65 of 80
My first review. Gulp.

Picked mine up today. Been aggressively burning in for the last 6 hours or so, here are my thoughts and comparison to my GR06. Burn in was connection to my Galaxy S3 and playing Bass heavy dance and shuffle.

Please not that these are my opinions, you may not agree. I bought these with my very own money and have no allegence to anyone.

I will be using my iPod video and E6 all files are 320k MP3's

Tracks used.

Grandaddy - He's simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot.
Catherine Wheel - Future boy.
Catherine Wheel - Thunderbird.
Turin Brakes - Red Moon.
Genesis - Squonk (Seconds Out).

I really like the carry case and there are plenty of tips. My E6 should go in there easily. I am using the silicone tips as the double flanges and Complys are too big for my ears.

Thoughts on sound.

Bass.
These have lots and lots and lots of bass pretty much all mid bass from my limited listening. My thought are that the GR06 has slightly less quantity and better quality. The Bass does appear to bleed into the lower registers of vocals. Too big and too bloated and slow. 

Mid Range.
The midrange on these is variable, some tracks sound OK. Others not so. In all cases I would say it is slightly recessed, and when the track gets a bit busy, the vocals get swamped If the track is not too bust, the detail is OK. The GR06 is vastly superior here.

Treble.
I think I quite like the treble on these, there is more treble energy than the GR06 and it has a bit of an edge to it, but the extension is not fantastic. I have not managed to bring on sibilance, but the night is young.  

I think Squonk sounds good on these, lots of cymbal detail and the thick bass quality suits the simplicity of the song, but the Catherine Wheel and Turin Brakes tracks leave these somewhat flummoxed especially by the Turin Brakes track. Although the GR06 and my ATH-A700s can't resolve this track very well. Although I was tapping my feet to most of the tracks.

Comfort.
These are a funny shape and so are my ears. They are not comfortable for extended periods. YMMV.

As things stand at the moment, These are OK for the money. In my opinion, these do not have a balanced sound there is far too much mid-bass emphasis for my taste, without the speed to match the quantity.

The GR06 whoops these on an all round basis ( I find the GR06 to have too much Mid-Bass for me, but it is better quality then these). My shoes are safe!

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #68 of 80
Hehe.

These are neither to my ear.

Mine are coming tomorrow hopefully, at least according to FedEx tracking.

Took 3 days for the order to be processed and now they are in Transit apparently.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #71 of 80
These will have to go I am afraid.

They are just not long term comfortable. I have quite odd shaped ears and these don't seem to fit, worn up or down. just raiding my tips stockpile!

Oh well I can always give them to the wife.

Further overnight burning in seems to have rebalanced much of the midrange..

I would like to see a FR chart for these, I expect it to look like the Himalayas.

I stand my my earlier appraisal of these, Lower registers are bloated, but there are things to like here.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #72 of 80
Quote:
These will have to go I am afraid.

They are just not long term comfortable. I have quite odd shaped ears and these don't seem to fit, worn up or down. just raiding my tips stockpile!

Oh well I can always give them to the wife.

Further overnight burning in seems to have rebalanced much of the midrange..

I would like to see a FR chart for these, I expect it to look like the Himalayas.

I stand my my earlier appraisal of these, Lower registers are bloated, but there are things to like here.

I had a hard time getting a good fit too. I ended up using the biflanges that came with them.
Usually, I think biflanges and deeper insertion tends to add more bass, and the R1's certainly does not need anymore bass but overall they sound better with a deeper insertion.

So far, I like these a lot.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 80
Quote:

As things stand at the moment, These are OK for the money. In my opinion, these do not have a balanced sound there is far too much mid-bass emphasis for my taste, without the speed to match the quantity.

The GR06 whoops these on an all round basis ( I find the GR06 to have too much Mid-Bass for me, but it is better quality then these). My shoes are safe!

i think you should burn them in more and see how they sound, dont think 6 hours is not enough.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #74 of 80
FedEx use Sprinters here.

BaDum Tish!

Yet, it still seems to take them ages lol

Tracking now shows delivery tomorrow before 12pm.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #75 of 80
I will update later. Should have about 30-40 Hrs on by now. (Been on in a drawer).

Thoughts from listening with about 24 Hrs on them.

I still think the bass is too big, slow and monosyllabic and there is some odd stuff happening in the midrange. I don't know if it is a frequency response thing but some midrange notes seem to leap out at you and others don't. I still find the mids OK, but some tracks seem lack detail.

I still find the treble OK though, not massively extended, but its there and I haven't provoked sibilance.

It sounds like I have a right downer on these, I don't. They are just not for me. The poor fit in my ears has highlighted this for me.

As said earlier, the GR06 has these soundly beat. The are more expensive though. The GR06 has too much bass for my tastes also, but it still has some dexterity to it. Midrange is in a different league. They are just so much more 'musical' to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back