New Bottlehead Headphone amp kit!!
Aug 19, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 12
where in dallas are you from texan?

careful driving in the rain this morning, my underwear is tumblin in the dryer right now because of the thunders

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddathan
NickDangerous finally got his wish. Bottlehead's about to release a headphone amp kit. It's also an integrated amp.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm

This just might make me finally jump into DIY.

YES! Finally.
I'm getting one
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey
OK, who is going to be the first to advertise building these kits for the members of the "wrong end of the soldering gun" set?

Bottlehead kits are so good and easy to follow, anyone should be able to assemble a skill level 1 kit.
But I'd be glad to assemble some if someone needed it done.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I know this is an old kit that has been out before. Has anyone ever heard one?
TR

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 12
I think Doc had the S.E.X. as an amp of some kind before, but not as a headphone amp. This is probably a complete reworking of it. *sigh*, only 2 watts...This'll have to wait a decade or so until I get my line arrays...

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 12
Yo Todd... it's been awhile, huh?
biggrin.gif

Darn. If only I had the opportunity to build this when I had my headphone gear.

Bottlehead kits are certainly affordable and very popular but the documentation, assembly procedures, and overall "polish" isn't quite on the same level as Mapletree and Welborne Labs. I'm not saying their S.E.X. headphone amp won't be a quality product... only that it should be rigorously compared with the other kits out there.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Very true. The Mapletree Ear+ Purist has gotten a lot of good reviews here on Head-Fi and is cheaper in kit form than the Bottlehead S.E.X. (plus Mapletree is currently throwing in free shipping), so it's still worth considering for those budding DIYers out there. Both kits use single ended triodes on both stages, with no feedback. The Mapletree does appear to use higher quality output transformers than the S.E.X., so it could have an edge in the bass. The Mapletree is also probably easier to tuberoll, since the S.E.X. uses 70's television tubes. On the other hand, the S.E.X. can drive efficient speakers.

I'm also a little curious why "Doc" Bottlehead had to hang a 120 ohm resistor network in front of the headphone jack. I'm assuming this is to reduce noise, but it will also reduce the amp's control over low impedance headphones. The Mapletree kit has an output impedance of 7 ohms with only 0.2mV noise, which is pretty darn awesome.

Hard decision. I'd personally love to build both kits.

Aug 24, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm seriously thinking about buying this bottlehead headphone amp kit. It would be a blast to assemble my own amp (if given good instructions). i'll wait until the first reviews to come out before i put my order in though. Otherwise its time to finally pick up an mxp3 from singlepower. i've been ampless for way to long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back