New(?) Bose Soundtrue Headphones
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #16 of 28
So besides the new design are there any improvments to the sound Compared to the AE2? It looked like one of you were saying there was some refinement to the bass but Im not sure if they were comparing them to the AE2. Whatever the criticism are of Bose the AE2 are hard to ignore for thier decent sound, comfort and low-profile which I need at work.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #18 of 28
I actually brought these a while back and after buying the hd598 and he400 I left them with my wife whilst I was working in Vietnam, just back today and I only brought my westones in ears back so thought I would use them with my z3, and guess what? they sound pretty good still, super comfortable and sounds not bad for what they are. Kinda want them back now!

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 28
The on ear version of the SoundTrue that just so come out.

So I just show you the signs difference, between these they're almost an exact copy each other just on a different size scale.

So the notice the on ear are a lot smaller then the around ear. One other feature that the on ear that different to the around ear is the falling capability to these fold rate up into a small little tiny package.

wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 28
I've tried them yesterday and stayed around 2 hours A/B multiple model available in a store. I have to say it's the first time I really take the time to A/B non studio headphone and I was pretty surprised how good they sound compared to other models.

Why I'll maybe end up getting a pair of around-ear of these isn't because of the sound but because of the comfort. I've never worn headphones that are close to these in term of comfort.

Now the sound is okay, a bit more high frequencies would have been great but the only real problem with these is the sub bass which is close to non existent.
On the other side the on ear model is the opposite in my opinion, the sub are okay the mid-bass however are way too much preset which cause the high-mid / high to be not enough present.

If they had made a model between these two in term of bass response it would have been a really really good pair of comfortable, portable headphones but unfortunately there's a choice to make here.

On the other side I have A/B them with the focal spirit one ( that didn't impressed me at all as a owner of focal speakers I was disappointed by the quality of their cans ).
I've also tried the Momentum 1.0 On-ear which aren't better than the bose soundtrue on-ear in term of sound while being uncomfortable to me.
The Momentum 1.0 Around-ear were okay in term of sound and comfort, a bit better but too much present in the low-mid for their price to me.
My real deception was the on-ear 2.0 BT model which was horrible for it's price in term of sound quality, I A/B them with my "drunk-pair" (which I use only when I go out and I now that I'll end up loosing half of what I have on myself because I'm completely fu**ed-up or turning up the sound too high) which is a RHP10, ultra bassy, soundstage horrible, medium/high frequency almost non existent and I found that they were in the same league, but well the Momentum 2.0 OE BT is 400 $ while the Reloop RHP10 is less than 100$ (but wired).

Well I still don't know if I'll take a pair of SoundTrue AE / OE, I have to try some EQ before I decide, but I was really impressed in good by bose which until then never really come into possibilities when I had to buy some headphones.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 28
I owned the over ear soundtrue model for about a week and a half before I returned them for beats solo 2.0s which I then returned for the Marshall Monitors. The soundtrues do a beautiful job of providing a super clear, pleasantly bright sound, but like nofuture mentioned, the COMPLETE lack of sub bass was a real dealbreaker for me. I never was able to have fun listening to them. The beats solo 2.0s sacrificed that surgical-like clarity for a more well rounded sound. The bass was more punchy, they were fun to listen to, and they did a really good with controlling the lows and maintaining the presence of the highs. With all that said, the Marshall Monitors bring the best of both worlds for the same price. They are an absolute pleasure to listen to. Check out my thread I made on them yesterday to get an idea of what they're about. http://www.head-fi.org/t/761244/marshall-monitor-over-ear-headphones-impressions

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 28
I listened to these yesterday in Bose's store, and found them to be full and spacious, but missing some clarity in vocals, and there is a funny brash spot in the treble. Not harsh, but just kinda funny. I was thinking they were pretty light on the bass, when I found a song with subbass ques that made my head shake. When I this thread I was shocked, and I think maybe most people can't tell subbass and midbass apart. After checking innerfidelity, the AE2 (which this are a sonic rehash of) has a subbass emphasis with a nearly linear midbass. All in all, for $120 on amazon, seeing sound measurements, hearing them, comfort, portability, style, and neckability, these would be easy for me to recommend, and maybe even buy. They'd be a great mobile headphone, and are low-profile, comfy, big soundstage, etc.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 28
Bose SoundTrue (I'm talking about the in-ear version) headphones are actually pretty good. They are extremely comfortable to wear and sound quality is quite decent. Only thing that isn't really good is the "V" shaped sound signature and the lack of clarity. Treble is significantly rolled off whilst bass is clear, they sometimes leak into the recessed midrange and make the sound very muddy. Other than that, the SoundTrues are relatively good for their price.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 28
  Bose SoundTrue headphones are actually pretty good. They are extremely comfortable to wear and sound quality is quite decent. Only thing that isn't really good is the "V" shaped sound signature and the lack of clarity. Treble is significantly rolled off whilst bass is clear, they sometimes leak into the recessed midrange and make the sound very muddy. Other than that, the SoundTrues are actually good for their price.

I think most of the comments here are aimed towards the Around Ear version. I just saw your review on the in-ear, you should probably clarify in your post

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #25 of 28
I just got the around ear version, super comfy I love them for that. But the sound is really weird in the treble, like compressed and grainy and still kinda harsh. It's really unfortunate as I just wanted something comfy to wear outdoor on the move, but the treble is really annoying. I guess I will end up using the eq on my phone if I can't find something similar that is as comfy.

Does anyone know if they sound the same as the noise cancelling version of the same headphone? Or of an alternate that is as light/comfy but sounds better?

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 28
  I just got the around ear version, super comfy I love them for that. But the sound is really weird in the treble, like compressed and grainy and still kinda harsh. It's really unfortunate as I just wanted something comfy to wear outdoor on the move, but the treble is really annoying. I guess I will end up using the eq on my phone if I can't find something similar that is as comfy.

Does anyone know if they sound the same as the noise cancelling version of the same headphone? Or of an alternate that is as light/comfy but sounds better?

I know what you mean about the treble. The noise canceling stuff all messes with the sound quite a bit, and those do sound different. The only headphones I can think of that are still light, comfy, portable, and sound good are the Oppo PM-3, and The B&O H6. I much prefer the PM-3

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 28
I don't know if anyone tried theBose SoundTrue II. This thread seems to be about version 1. They've just discontinued the SoundTrue II a year after its release which is a shame. Burned in, they are amazing for the price (now $129.00 - in many places). More lows and sub bass than the original, light and comfortable, even for big heads / ears. Maybe a bit less mids than I'd prefer, and the highs are maybe not as bright as some like. This makes for fatigue free listening. They're very accurate, no excess mid bass bump, subs extend remarkably low and those highs are smooth but natural. If a mix is bright or has sibilance you will hear it. Also, the sound field is accurate, not overly wide or narrow or closed in.

I'm reminded of the OPPO PM-3, with more sub bass and less mids. Finally, the Bose QC 15, 25 and 35 all suffer in passive mode with ringy midrange resonance. These do not. It amazes me that the QC 35 was put out just after these - and yet still has not addressed the passive mode issues. What they should have done is designed the cup and driver and baffling / dampening to match these so they'd be usable passive (the QC are not to me). When the NR is on the QC 35 resembles these, and the resonance is almost gone (90%). These could be improved further with the EQ and NR of the QC series. Bose messed up on that and now they are discontinuing the best passive headphones they have ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back