NEW! Bose QC25 2014
Oct 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #121 of 368
Seeing a lot of speculation and misinformation here, so here's some info on the QC25 plug:

Bose uses a 4 pin 2.5mm plug for the headphone side of things, and a 4 pin 3.5mm headphone plug for the device side of things. 

The 3.5mm plug has four pins because of mic/remote functionality. 

The 2.5mm plug has 4 pins where one is not used. 

Neither plug is longer than a 3 pin version, nor is a mono plug shorter. Different pin count plugs simply divide the plug differently. A 4 pin plug splits the ground from a 3 pin plug in two. 

Back on the QC3, Bose used the same 2.5mm four pin plug, but used a non-standard pinout that did not use the tip (normally left channel) and instead used the other 3 in a non-standard configuration. 

On the new QC25, the 4 pin 2.5mm plug uses a standard pinout, left/right/gound going from tip to root of the plug, with one of the two ground pins not being used. 

Any 3 pin 2.5mm plug can be used on the QC25, as the ground area will simply cover both the actual ground pin and the unused pin of the 4 pin plug. 

The same is NOT true for the QC3, where you need a 4 pin plug since the pinout is non-standard and the pin not being used is the tip. 

A 2.5mm plug to 3.5mm jack adapter will work out of the box on the QC25 assuming you can physically fit it in the narrow hole. 

All of the above is based on me having made custom cables for both the QC25 and the QC3. I've manually found the pinout on both, and made working cables with the correct channel layout. In the case of the QC25 I've made cables both from 4 pin plugs and from 3 pin plugs, and I've used off the shelf adapters (a local store sells adapters that only need a bit of rubber casing shaved off to work). 

I use my QC25s mostly for audio books, sometimes for video, so the sub-par sound quality doesn't really matter when the comfort and noise cancellation is good. I use a custom cable with a modified, permanently attached Bluetooth receiver to get a wireless QC25

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #124 of 368
 Originally Posted by Captain ?degard  and I've used off the shelf adapters (a local store sells adapters that only need a bit of rubber casing shaved off to work).

So you used these with the QC 25?  Do you think you can find one that is sold online?

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #126 of 368

So you used these with the QC 25?  Do you think you can find one that is sold online?

They sell it online but not internationally. I'd imagine ebay has a billion though. It's just a standard 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter that happens to fit inside the hole in the QC25 when you shave off some insulation, there's nothing special about it. 

Captain ?degard:  I have a 3.5 mm boom pro microphone attachment.  It has three pole / two rings on the connection end.  Would your adapter work for that?

Technically yes but the microphone would be dangling off a short cable and not sit securely attached to the headphones like I'm guessing you're hoping. To get something that would fit perfectly you either have to wait for bose to release it or just make one. Shouldn't be very difficult taking a BoomPro and switching out the jack 

If that's not an option, you could always go with an adapter cable and simply secure the microphone to the headset in some other way, like poster tac, glue, sugru, epoxy, velcro, whatever

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #127 of 368
Would this be what you mean?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4FA46E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0AEE515Q4K3C7C20TKTX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #131 of 368
In a quiet environment where noise cancelling isn't necessary, what sounds better, the QC25 with ANC switched on or the Bose Soundtrue both driven by an iPhone or equivalent device?  I know the QC25 will be better than the Soundtrues in a noisy environment.  I'm just wondering if it's also better in a quiet setting.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #132 of 368
  In a quiet environment where noise cancelling isn't necessary, what sounds better, the QC25 with ANC switched on or the Bose Soundtrue both driven by an iPhone or equivalent device?  I know the QC25 will be better than the Soundtrues in a noisy environment.  I'm just wondering if it's also better in a quiet setting.

I would have to say the quietcomfort would get the prize.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #133 of 368
Seeing a lot of speculation and misinformation here, so here's some info on the QC25 plug:

Bose uses a 4 pin 2.5mm plug for the headphone side of things, and a 4 pin 3.5mm headphone plug for the device side of things. 

The 3.5mm plug has four pins because of mic/remote functionality. 

The 2.5mm plug has 4 pins where one is not used. 

Neither plug is longer than a 3 pin version, nor is a mono plug shorter. Different pin count plugs simply divide the plug differently. A 4 pin plug splits the ground from a 3 pin plug in two. 

Back on the QC3, Bose used the same 2.5mm four pin plug, but used a non-standard pinout that did not use the tip (normally left channel) and instead used the other 3 in a non-standard configuration. 

On the new QC25, the 4 pin 2.5mm plug uses a standard pinout, left/right/gound going from tip to root of the plug, with one of the two ground pins not being used. 

Any 3 pin 2.5mm plug can be used on the QC25, as the ground area will simply cover both the actual ground pin and the unused pin of the 4 pin plug. 

The same is NOT true for the QC3, where you need a 4 pin plug since the pinout is non-standard and the pin not being used is the tip. 

A 2.5mm plug to 3.5mm jack adapter will work out of the box on the QC25 assuming you can physically fit it in the narrow hole. 

All of the above is based on me having made custom cables for both the QC25 and the QC3. I've manually found the pinout on both, and made working cables with the correct channel layout. In the case of the QC25 I've made cables both from 4 pin plugs and from 3 pin plugs, and I've used off the shelf adapters (a local store sells adapters that only need a bit of rubber casing shaved off to work). 

I use my QC25s mostly for audio books, sometimes for video, so the sub-par sound quality doesn't really matter when the comfort and noise cancellation is good. I use a custom cable with a modified, permanently attached Bluetooth receiver to get a wireless QC25

Hi,

What type of BT receiver is that. Name, brand, model? Also did you stick it on with an adhesive?

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #135 of 368

I own the QC15 and the AE2. The sound may vary a bit on the QC25 but the sound of the AE2 is supposed to be the same as the Soundtrue series. In a quiet environment, I slightly prefer the AE2 for sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back