NEW! Bose QC25 2014
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #151 of 368
Have them since two weeks now. They are more than good noise cancellers for me. The sound is very well balanced and they improve a lot when amped with my Fiio E12 or my Meier Stepdance. So they drag me away from my other cans a lot.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #153 of 368
Hi, can the owners of QC 25 please tell me if you need to be playing music in order to enjoy the noise cancellation? I need to use them in my office since it's really noisy with a lot of people talking, but I don't want to listen to the music 24/7 just so that I can have noise cancellation.

Also, I know it blocks out ambient / constant sounds really well, but how does it fair when it comes to "voice" cancellation? 

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #155 of 368
Voices are not totally cancelled. But they are reduced to a very good level.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #156 of 368
I've been to Fry's, Best Buy, Future Shop, you name it. The stations where you audition Bose headphones using your own music player are always completely broken, so I've yet to hear how the QC25 sound with real music. My next step would be to try to actual Bose Store. Hopefully theirs isn't broken.

Quote:
  Hi, can the owners of QC 25 please tell me if you need to be playing music in order to enjoy the noise cancellation? I need to use them in my office since it's really noisy with a lot of people talking, but I don't want to listen to the music 24/7 just so that I can have noise cancellation.

Also, I know it blocks out ambient / constant sounds really well, but how does it fair when it comes to "voice" cancellation? 

Thanks.

You can turn on the noise cancellation button without playing any music. Reduction of voices is decent but you can still hear them faintly.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #157 of 368
  Voices are not totally cancelled. But they are reduced to a very good level.

Just activate the NC and you're good!

(I own the QC15, but know that you don't need to play audio to use the NC with both.)

Quote:
  I've been to Fry's, Best Buy, Future Shop, you name it. The stations where you audition Bose headphones using your own music player are always completely broken, so I've yet to hear how the QC25 sound with real music. My next step would be to try to actual Bose Store. Hopefully theirs isn't broken.

You can turn on the noise cancellation button without playing any music. Reduction of voices is decent but you can still hear them faintly.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #158 of 368
I bought the QC25s after owning the 15s and feel there is an improvement. For me the smaller case is a big improvement as it is easier to take in my "man purse (camera bag with camera, laptop, headphones, kitchen sink etc)". I think it sounds a little better than the 15s.

I do a lot of listening from my laptop and feel sometimes there is some distortion, which could be from the recording or due to my laptops realtech sound card (Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 laptop). I don't feel the headphones need amplification but am wondering if they can benefit from a DAC. I may try a Fiio dac as it is not a huge investment. I do use a Zune music player, which sounds better than my laptop and am planning on a high def player fairly soon. I really could not tell any difference with my flac files versus mp3s which were downloaded at 320kbps from the Xbox music site (I used the same recording, flac file purchased from HDtracks, and the mp3 from Xbox music. I am hoping a DAC can show some difference, and I do feel like I have sensitive ears.

I have my eye on the Hifiman He 500s for serious listening with high quality recordings, but the great NC of the Bose really comes in handy as I am often listening to music while my wife watches tv or I am out in a noisy environment, not to mention when flying. I will mention again the smaller case really makes it easy for the QC25s to be my take everywhere headphones.

Gary 

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #159 of 368
I have to call a spade a spade here.  A lot of people bash the QC line from Bose.  I get it NC does not = amazing sound.  BUT - I have tried many, many, "and The Rock means" MANY (sorry - had to do it) headphones for my purposes, and none have even come close to the QC25 (even QC15).  

Let me explain "my purposes"... I am a professional trainer/former bodybuilder.  I use headphones in 2 aspects of my life - the gym and the get away from me I just want to zone out in my music.  

That said, every gym/fitness center/warehouse I have worked in have been loud.  Obnoxiously loud - ranging from loud music to lots of talking, to the sound of weights hitting the floor and clanging into other iron.  I hate it.  It's that simple.  I need to focus.  It's not easy physical activity and given normal everyday life, no matter who you are it's not easy to completely energetic.  In steps the music for me.  It moves me, motivates me, keeps me centered, and drives me.  

The bottom line is this - if you need to focus, need a pair of cans that will stay put under pretty heavy physical activity (from jumping to running), need pretty damn good sound, and hate putting things in your ears - there is no better.

Here is a short list of what I have put to the test so far and have failed:

Bose QC20 - too gentle and the anti-movement phone
Sennheiser MX685 - bad isolation; bass is typical Sennheiser weak
Yurbuds - enough said
Sony XB90EX - never stay in place (regardless of various tips); non-stop microphonics
Beats - cheap, so-so cancellation, the rep precedes itself
UE 6000 - huge, loose, flimsy, cancellation is more like an amp, decent bass
V Moda M100 - this would be the one, if only it had a huge step up in isolation.  Man I wish these would have worked better at isolating - these would be the champs
PSB M4U2 - same as UE6000 but lacking bass
Shure SE215 - impossible to stay in place and not break the seal; enhanced bass is false advertising unless you're in a quiet room
Velodyne Vquiets - cheap cord that made static (maybe a defect); ear cups not truly over entire ear surface; big but not bad
Sony MDR series - mehh overall
Sennheiser Momentum - poor isolation; I could have lived with it otherwise

By the way - if you use an EQ app (like Accudio) or know how to EQ your cans - the Bose will REALLY surprise you.  I was amazed at how much better they sounded after tinkering with the EQ.  I really felt the clean bass (sub and mid) while simultaneously hearing clear vocals.  Look, by no means are they the best, but nothing will ever be the best in this stuff.  Everyone sees things differently, what I say is good you say is trash - that's life.  But if you want cans that will not disappoint for a lifestyle close to mine - the QC25s will not disappoint.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #160 of 368
The NC is why I bought the Bose, even though I know they get trashed by many reviewers. There are so many times I need to tune out the environment around me. I have not thought about taking them to the gym though since I worry about sweat ruining them. By the way, I know this is probably not the place to put this comment, but for my jogging I love the very cheap Koss Portapro headphones. They do not look that great but for the price (less than $30) they really sound good, especially in the area of bass.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #161 of 368
As far as sweat ruining them - it won't.  How do I know??  I still have my 4 year old QC15 that have been used at every workout session (anywhere from 5-6 days per week) and just at the end of the 3rd year did the left ear cup start to wear slightly - totally unaware unless you inspect them.  I sweat like a pig - I wear hoodies and as many layers as possible to keep warm.  I promise you unless you immerse them in water they will be fine.  However, note - I do not toss mine around and drop them like they are not $300.  I treat them well.  The only punishment they take is from the outside noises they block out and my salty streams.  Like anything else in life - treat it nice and it treats you back. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #162 of 368
Thanks, I do treat my stuff well as I am like many of you, not made out of money. The music at the gym is well worth trying to block out as it rarely is anything that suites my tastes.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #163 of 368
Ok, since this is a thread about the Bose QC25s, I have a serious question - white or black? I really wanted to try the new Bose and Best Buy only had the white model. Now I am a 66 year old married guy that could care less about being trendy. But I do wear matching socks and try to wear clothes that match so I clearly do not want to draw negative attention to myself. I prefer the black and because of the holidays have plenty of time to exchange my white model for a black one. But they are broken in and I do not want to go through the hassle. I am so out of touch with style I want to make sure white is not a no no color for a guy, even a very uncool guy at that.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back