NEW! Bose QC25 2014
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #166 of 368
QC25 and QC15 owners! I made an amazing discovery:

So just a few minutes ago, I took a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable (which I got for next to nothing many years ago) out of a duffel bag in my closet to see if it would work as a headphone cable for my QC15. It connected! ...But it's so much thicker and heavier than the proprietary stock cable that it easily falls out...so I got two twist ties to connect it to the headphones. Worked on the first try! Now I have a new headphone cable at no cost that is three to four times as durable and sounds very different from the stock cable. Much more full, clear, and powerful. You'd have to be deaf not to immediately hear the difference.
cool.gif

For what it's worth, the reason these two cables sound totally different (much more so than the difference between the QC15's remote cable and audio only cable) is probably because, despite the stock cable not being the one with the in-line remote, it still has a proprietary connector with a HI-LO switch, so in all likelihood, it interferes with the signal, whereas the 3.5-to-3.5 cable doesn't, at least not nearly as much.

(In other words, it's not really a fair comparison.)

Anyone who has a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable can try this as well.

It sounds so much better that it's almost as if I upgraded to new headphones!

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #167 of 368
Interesting, it appears it would be even easier to replace the cable on the QC25. And good point about the white hair, never really thought about color coordinating with my hair!
wink_face.gif

I ordered the Dragonfly just to see if it would help listening to music through my computer. I also discovered Media Monkey, which is what I use to build my playlists, has an equalizer function so something else to experiment with. I normally never use any equalizer function so it will be interesting to see if it could help with some music.

I am pretty happy with my QC25s but when I keep reading so many headphone reviews I sometimes think I shouldn't be. I do get some distortion from time to time and sometimes some instruments sound kind of shrill. Of course it could very well be the quality of the recording. I would not mind a little more of a soundstage. I did notice my music does sound better using my cheapo Sansa Clip and not so cheap Zune. Do portable music players really need DACs? I am thinking of getting the Sony NWZ A17 high definition player or something similar. I probably would need a headphone amp at least if I purchased something like the Hifiman He-500.

Trying out a better cable, experimenting with an equalizer, and using a DAC/Amp with my laptop are all very inexpensive. If I find it makes very little difference I am not out very much. The danger is if it does help I can see myself constantly trying to upgrade something to get even better sound. Maybe I should start buying more lottery tickets!

Gary

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #168 of 368
The QC 25 benefits a lot from amping. I use the Fiio E12. The cable is definitely a 2.5 mm one. So absolute no chance to force a 3.5 mm in. The HiLo switch was moved into the airplane adapter someone wrote earlier, so a different cable will not make that much of a difference. Distortion is there only when the record is distorted. This can is much better than I ever expected..:blush:

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #169 of 368
Picked this up at Target, repackaged clearance for ~ $210.
I thought it was worth testing for a month.
So far, I am very happy with their performance.

They are the white version, I would have preferred black but it is growing on me.
The only real problem I have with the color is the day-glo blue cable.
Looks a little silly on a mid-40s guy. :wink:

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #170 of 368
  Picked this up at Target, repackaged clearance for ~ $210.
I thought it was worth testing for a month.
So far, I am very happy with their performance.

They are the white version, I would have preferred black but it is growing on me.
The only real problem I have with the color is the day-glo blue cable.
Looks a little silly on a mid-40s guy. :wink:

Which Target was this? Do you think all locations have them?

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #172 of 368
I agree the blue cord does not appeal to this old guy. So none of you think upgrading the cord would make any difference in the sound. I think I saw a post where it did make a difference but I think it was for the QC15. 

And after looking at the cord I have I see the problem, when someone said it was 2.5 the comment just did not register. Is this Bose way of forcing us to buy their proprietary accessories which are way over priced, or is there such a thing as a 2.5 male to 3.5 male cable? Funny, when looking at the connection my first thought was I was surprised Bose made it where any 3.5 connection could be used until I just notices one end was smaller than the other.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #173 of 368
  I agree the blue cord does not appeal to this old guy. So none of you think upgrading the cord would make any difference in the sound. I think I saw a post where it did make a difference but I think it was for the QC15. 

And after looking at the cord I have I see the problem, when someone said it was 2.5 the comment just did not register. Is this Bose way of forcing us to buy their proprietary accessories which are way over priced, or is there such a thing as a 2.5 male to 3.5 male cable? Funny, when looking at the connection my first thought was I was surprised Bose made it where any 3.5 connection could be used until I just notices one end was smaller than the other.

That was me, just a few posts ago. (I'm going to try the V-MODA Audio Only Cable with the QC15 next.)

I'm pretty sure a better cable would sound better, especially since the QC25's stock cable has an in-line remote. You would just need a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter, which should cost less than the cable. Or you could always get a cable that is 3.5mm on one end and 2.5mm on the other. (This is all assuming the connector shells are thin enough to connect without any difficulties.)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #174 of 368
I was referring to your post, and I have seen online some adaptors. The nice thing is it does not cost very much so to me it is worth a shot to see if it improves the sound any. I know any sound system can be effected by its weakest link, like buying great, expensive speakers and getting cheap wire.

My wife accuses me of being too obsessed with my interest in improving my listening experience, and I do know there is a point of diminishing returns as far as how much we can spend compared how much better music will sound. But I also know sometimes small improvements can make huge differences. For years I almost exclusively listened to streamed music using my Zune/Xbox music service. When I decided to buy my music instead there was a very noticeable difference in music quality and it has really renewed a desire to look into seeing if I can keep improving the sound quality.

I am hoping the Dragonfly I will soon have helps just a little and maybe a better cord could help. Not expecting much, so it will be interesting to see what changes I may notice.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #175 of 368
No, it was in the standard electronics clearance end cap.
I check every time i go there.
I have never seen a Bose headphone in there before, I was actually looking for the white whale (QC15 discounted for $135).
These were repackaged, some d-bag just borrowed them for a flight I bet.
Everything was included, but the cable was sloppily in the case and battery still in the headphones.

They had plenty of QC25s new and full priced.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #176 of 368
  I was referring to your post, and I have seen online some adaptors. The nice thing is it does not cost very much so to me it is worth a shot to see if it improves the sound any. I know any sound system can be effected by its weakest link, like buying great, expensive speakers and getting cheap wire.

My wife accuses me of being too obsessed with my interest in improving my listening experience, and I do know there is a point of diminishing returns as far as how much we can spend compared how much better music will sound. But I also know sometimes small improvements can make huge differences. For years I almost exclusively listened to streamed music using my Zune/Xbox music service. When I decided to buy my music instead there was a very noticeable difference in music quality and it has really renewed a desire to look into seeing if I can keep improving the sound quality.

I am hoping the Dragonfly I will soon have helps just a little and maybe a better cord could help. Not expecting much, so it will be interesting to see what changes I may notice.

The main reason it would sound different is because the in-line remote cable has extra electronics that interfere with the signal (plus the proprietary cable of the QC15 has a HI-LO switch with more electronics, but you don't need to worry about that). It could be possible to design a remote cable that doesn't harm sound quality, but I doubt it.

I don't know what your needs are, but if you want to improve your listening experience, noise cancelling headphones aren't the solution. They're only for when you need the NC.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #177 of 368
I really appreciate your input and I do understand there are better cans out there. My goal is to make the best of what I have for now. I am often listening to music while my wife watches Dr. Phil, Dancing with the Stars, and a ton of other shows I have no interest in. Sometimes I will go to my favorite brewery and do some work on my laptop, another reason for NC. I think it can even come in handy if I feel like listening to music when in bed and even though it is quiet the Bose pretty much block out the music so my wife can't hear it. A big deal for me for the QC25s is the smaller case because I now keep them in a camera/laptop bag I take everywhere with me. I originally bought the Bose for a vacation where we had to fly to our destination, so they do meet many needs.

I am planning on another set of headphones for those times when I am alone and can focus on just listening to music. This is why I am looking for a good HD portable music player where I can play FLAC files. I have my eye on the Hifiman He500s and several other headphones. This is why this site sometimes is a blessing and sometimes a curse. Every time I think I know what I want I read reviews and change my mind. I am hoping there will be one of those meet and greets near Albuquerque so I can try some out.

Gary

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #178 of 368

If you're ever looking for a good headphone case, SLAPPA could do the trick.

I use the 2009 iPod classic 160 GB (now out of production) but know that the SanDisk Sansa Clip+ is a good value despite its lack of storage space.

You can convert FLAC files to any other lossless format (ALAC, AIFF, WAV) with a program like dBpoweramp if any of your devices don't support FLAC. You could also convert your files to 256 kbps AAC in order to fit more songs onto your portable DAP. Plus, many people can't hear a difference between it and lossless. (Just remember to keep lossless archives on your hard drives.)

If you get the HiFiMAN headphones, be prepared to add an external amplifier to your list of things to get.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #179 of 368
Yep, I can see my bank account getting drained slowly but surely. I use the Clip for going to the gym and jogging and do admit it sound fairly good, many good reviews for it. The Zune player is also fairly nice and can hold more music. I use Media Monkey to build playlists and it has some nice features. I can download a report listing all my songs in a playlist to excel, which comes in handy, and I can create m3u playlists that my Zune software recognizes. Media Monkey can read the FLAC files.

I just started using HDtracks. I only have their sampler album downloaded. So far it has been hard to tell the difference between mp3 files and FLAC files. I purchased a couple of the same songs using the Xbox service which downloads at 320 kbps.  I bought the dragonfly DAC/amp to see if it would help is hearing the difference. My guess is my laptop is not the best source for listening to music. My Yoga Pro 2 does not have much storage space so I do understand what you are saying about using an external drive as FLAC files are much bigger. Like I mentioned I am experimenting a little to see if I can get a tad more from my QCs. I really do enjoy them.

I do have a question where I am hoping you can help with an answer. I understand why laptops could benefit from an external DAC, but I wonder if Portable music players can benefit from a DAC. My logic tells me they are designed for listening to music so a DAC may not be necessary, while an amp for many headphones is pretty much necessary. I am thinking of getting the Sony NWZ A17 portable music player which can play FLAC files. My hope is for that player I would only need a headphone amp and not a DAC.

So I think what I need to get will depend on how I will listen to my music. I am thinking for my Bose QC25s and laptop the little Dragonfly DAC/amp will be just fine. If I get the Hifiman He-500 headset and use my computer I will probably need an AC powered DAC/amp. I am thinking my Bose and Zune combo would be all I need, but maybe a portable amp would help. I keep debating just want I should do if I get the Sony high def player. I am thinking I probably would use that for more serious listening so maybe I can use the same powered DAC/amp I would use for my laptop, but I am not sure about this.

I can see where some research is needed and I have been learning a lot thanks to you and others on this forum. Any product recommendations for the scenarios I mentioned would be appreciated. - Gary

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #180 of 368

Most digital devices that play music have DACs (they are digital-to-analog converters, after all), but apparently not all of them have well-designed DACs. Generally, the DACs in iPods are said to be better than the DACs in most computers. Some people get expensive dedicated DACs and say they sound much better; others insist that all DACs sound the same. I can't tell you what X device will sound like with and without X amp/DAC, simply because I haven't tried it myself.

You'll just have to research the various competing products to get a better idea of which will best suit your needs.

I'm actually researching whether adding an external amp will improve the sound of the QC15. At least a few people say it does.

Have you noticed any difference in sound between using different AAA batteries for the QC25? I have for the QC15, though it's usually subtle. Believe it or not, even two of my rechargeable batteries of the exact same brand and type sound slightly different to me.

As for high-resolution audio, read this article. Some digital music downloads sound better than their CD and MP3 counterparts, but not for the reasons many are lead to believe. Basically, it's the recording/master that matters. You can convert any 24-bit downloads you have to lossless 16-bit / 44.1 kHz and enjoy the same sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back