New Bond album -- anyone have it yet?
Oct 22, 2002 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
I wanna hear if it's any good before I get it. I liked their first one.

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 17
Just wanna see the cover
wink.gif
!

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 17
*cough* Where are you Vert? *cough*

Actually I wanna hear Piazollo's Libertango off of it (Vert said it was on there). I love Yo-Yo Ma playing it, so this better be decent.

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Dusty...did you honestly think SOMEBODY wouldn't already own "Shine" on here?
wink.gif

I got it the day after it was released. I totally love it, and have been listening to it pratically everyday. I think Bond sort of calmed down their style, so to speak...it's not nearly as upbeat and fast paced as their first album was. I think they make much more use now of the accompanying background orchestra as well...which is probably my one beef with this album, as it's much harder to hear each of the Bond girls doing their numbers distinctively as a result.

I particularly like the first four tracks on the CD, but just as I enjoyed every single track on the Born album, so do I find nothing wrong with any of the tracks on Shine. My favorite track by far though is "Fuego".

On another note, it's pratically worth getting this album just for the spread you'll find in the middle of the CD cover booklet. Just ask carlo what he thinks of it.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bottom line...if you liked the first one, you'd be hard pressed not to like the 2nd one I think. They definitely have a style that just shows through...it took me just a couple of seconds of listening to some clips of Shine to figure "yep, that's Bond alright
smily_headphones1.gif
"

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Dusty...did you honestly think SOMEBODY wouldn't already own "Shine" on here?
wink.gif

No, I was just surprised that you...erm, that is...someone hadn't started a thread on it yet. Thanks, will get it.

Speaking of pics, they did a (clothed, albeit sexy and glamorous) layout in some men's magazine...Maxim, I think.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Bond's not exactly something everybody loves here on Headfi.
rolleyes.gif
I figure I'd never bother posting music based threads unless it's an "appease the crowds" kinda thread.

Oct 23, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Bond's not exactly something everybody loves here on Headfi.
rolleyes.gif
I figure I'd never bother posting music based threads unless it's an "appease the crowds" kinda thread.

That's shouldn't be the way. Post about what you like, you will be surprise how many people come out and share your own taste here.

I don't care for crossover classical acts, but I understand how it can bring in fans to the real deal later on, like a gateway drug, so it's all good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
That's shouldn't be the way. Post about what you like, you will be surprise how many people come out and share your own taste here.

After all the attacks I've had in the past on my music tastes? That's the way it's gonna be I'm afraid. There's definitely certain types of music that somehow just caters better to the crowd and is more widely accepted then others, i.e. classic rock, classical, "true and real" jazz, etc etc. Just take a look at the current threads if you need any indication of that. Bond definitely falls into the crowd of music that seems to get dissed on here. So *shrug*, I'll reply to a thread about it, but it's not in my best interest to make a big hoopla about them, or anything I listen to in general.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

KR... said...

I think Vert's point was alot of people that don't share his taste, and would make such endearing statements as "This is music?", would show up in such threads.
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

After all the attacks I've had in the past on my music tastes? That's the way it's gonna be I'm afraid. There's definitely certain types of music that somehow just caters better to the crowd and is more widely accepted then others, i.e. classic rock, classical, "true and real" jazz, etc etc. Just take a look at the current threads if you need any indication of that. Bond definitely falls into the crowd of music that seems to get dissed on here. So *shrug*, I'll reply to a thread about it, but it's not in my best interest to make a big hoopla about them, or anything I listen to in general.

Well, then what is the big "NO THREAD CRAPPING ALLOWED" sticky in this forum for? This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves w/ the Music Forum, that people can't leave well enough alone, and insist on criticizing what is obviously an appreciation thread. I kinda doubt Bond would get many negative reactions (they are part classical), but remember what happened when somebody tried to post a review of the latest Britney Spears album? Ouch, not pretty. Regardless of whether you like the artist, or even consider the artist a real artist, the thread crapping rule needs to be enforced for this forum to keep growing.

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

I don't care for crossover classical acts, but I understand how it can bring in fans to the real deal later on, like a gateway drug, so it's all good.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen this point debated a number of times in different places. Since Bond (who are thought of as a "crossover" act) was mentioned, I am curious to see if the purchase of a Bond CD led anyone to purchase more "traditional" classical stuff.

Also, I agree on the "crapping" stuff. If you don't like the music under discussion, don't post just to say so (especially if it's something that I like
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I think Vert's point was alot of people that don't share his taste, and would make such endearing statements as "This is music?", would show up in such threads.

Exactly my point. The best proof of that is look what happens when you mention "Kenny G" anywhere around this music forum. Instant bash parties get thrown. Likewise, as you said, with Britney Spears, or just about any young pop star nowdays. Not that I dig her music much myself or any young pop star nowdays, but I honestly, and quite strongly, do not believe in the notion that there is "bad music" or "bad music tastes" out there. But some people just insist on labeling such music as so. When's the last time you saw a young, recent pop star getting mentioned around here?

It's rather sad to operate in this manner, but I literally keep a checklist of music I've seen being bashed in this forum, or in other forums for that matter, and make it a point to never bring them up.

I wonder if the sticky even does anything. It only takes one bash after all to send music off to that checklist of mine.

Nov 3, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

It's rather sad to operate in this manner, but I literally keep a checklist of music I've seen being bashed in this forum, or in other forums for that matter, and make it a point to never bring them up.

I wonder if the sticky even does anything. It only takes one bash after all to send music off to that checklist of mine.

I agree that more people need to not bash other people's taste in music. And it's not so much that people should not post negative comments about music. We can't recommend more good music if we do not know the sorts of things one does not like, as well as like. It's just that...there's a time and a place for everything. And someone's thread about how much they like the new Bond album (or metal, Tim, or Britney Spears) is not the place to say that they suck, or that one doesn't like them (it). Start your own stinkin' thread. It's called diplomacy. Or rather, sensitivity. You know, to diversity.

That said, funny you don't feel that way about Rega.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 17
LOL
biggrin.gif
But see, I make it a point to bash Rega and only Rega, but not the owners. I'm all for bashing equipment, but I definitely never cross the line of calling the owners tin ears if they own a particular product and can't hear it like I hear it or something. i.e. like how most AKG K501s threads turn out.

I agree that constructive critcism on a particular album is definitely welcome. Just not the "this is music???" type of comments.

But that all aside, how's the album going? I assume you got it by now?

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 17
biggrin.gif
Was I the only one who thought this thread was devoted to the James Bond Soundtrack?
wink.gif

I've never heard of the band. . . are they worth checking out?

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 17
download7.jpg

You tell me if they're worth "checking out".
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Most people that I've played Bond for find it rather refreshing and impressive, which inevitably leads to them picking it up eventually. I just turned another one of my friends onto them last night in fact...he said after hearing the Born album, he just couldn't get the tunes out of his head. He went to Towers immediately and picked it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back