New Boards of Canada
Jul 25, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 29
taymat I had the exact same feelings as you the first time I listened to "Music has the..blahblah." I had just come off a healthy diet of aphex/ autechre/ squarepusher & others.

When I heard "A beautiful place out in blahblah" and then "Geogaddi" I finally understood what all the fuss was about. Then I came back to "Music" and loved it, then got every album they ever released and was totally hooked.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 29
oct 17 can't come soon enough!!

if you want to hear something really freaky play boc's "you could feel the sky" (geodaggi) backward and at slower speed.

Oct 7, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #20 of 29
Well I'm listening too it right now. It's fine, not my favorite though. The songs sound less worked on than before. If you've had the pleasure of listening to some of their unreleased stuff, it sounds a bit like that, but it's definitely a new direction for Boc.

Unfortuneatly, it appears the best thing about it are the track titles. I think Tears from the Compound eye is the best track on the album, actually it's one of their best tracks ever. Dayvan Cowboy is very good too, but NOTHING like their last three albums. I mean, nothing. Very good though.

Oct 7, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
Well I'm listening too it right now. It's fine, not my favorite though. The songs sound less worked on than before. If you've had the pleasure of listening to some of their unreleased stuff, it sounds a bit like that, but it's definitely a new direction for Boc.

Unfortuneatly, it appears the best thing about it are the track titles. I think Tears from the Compound eye is the best track on the album, actually it's one of their best tracks ever. Dayvan Cowboy is very good too, but NOTHING like their last three albums. I mean, nothing. Very good though.

Yeah I have had this for a while too now but I wanted to wait for the full release before I formed an opinion.

That track Tears from the Compound eye is a great track, they seem to have gone in a more ambient direction but this CD lacks something that is distinctively BoC.

If you have read any interviews by them they say they are tired of people buying there cds just to find hidden details and not to hear the music, so they claim there is nothing hidden in this at all(though I am pretty sure I have already heard some masked voices and such).

I think it is good but following up on Geogaddi is a tall order indeed.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
I think it is good but following up on Geogaddi is a tall order indeed.

I kinda feel the oposite. I like it a fair bit more then Geogaddi. Don't get me wrong, Geogaddi is fantastic album. "Music is Math" is probably my favorite BOC track. I just cant seem to get into listening to Geogadi like I can the rest of BOC's lineup.

If I were to rank the ablums(that I own) it would look a little something like...

Twoism
Music Has The Right To Children
Hi Scores
In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
The Campfire Headphase (listened to a lot but don't own yet)
Geogaddi
Peel Session

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 29
I'm glad WATMM isn't up right now. Just be glad BOC aren't that popular here, on watmm there'd be 100 threads on the front page about this album.

Oct 18, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 29
IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listening to "satelite anthem icarus" right now on my beyers feeling chills across my skin.... finally.........

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #26 of 29
Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised by how people are reacting to this album. I like it significantly better than Music Has The Right To Children or In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, the only other releases of theirs I have. The ambient interludes between tracks actually sound interesting to me this time around, and I like the general chilly feel of the album. Almost everyone else I've talked to about this album seems to either be indifferent towards it or dislike it. Guess that just shows how subjective musical taste is....

Oh, and I'm gonna pick up a real copy of the album tomorrow.
icon10.gif
Vinyl hopefully!

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #27 of 29
with the use of guitar and the cult stuff receding this is probably boc's most mainstream record. it is also imho the most beautiful and cohesive record they've made as well. not as deep and dark as geodaggi or mhtrtc, but evidence of a new direction for boc.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #28 of 29
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of the vinyl today. The packaging is spectacular, 120 acid-washed '70s photos, total BOC. Interestingly enough, this is completely different from the version I downloaded! And I'm pleasantly surprised, since the real album blows whatever I downloaded out of the water. I'm only on like track 6 and I already love it. I agree with redshifter, it is by far their most cohesive and beautiful record I've heard. The guitars on it are seamlessly incorporated as well. Definitely recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back