New Boards of Canada
Jul 5, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
the children here at hexagon sun ranch are getting restless. when is the next boc album coming out? any news?

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 29
Bah you got my hopes up, made me think they had a new one coming soon
frown.gif

/was listening to 1969 and Dawn Chorus on the way to work
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 29
OK, this is annoying, since a friend forwarded me a Warp records newsletter with a link to a warp site that said: New Boards of Canada album completed, due in fall. And it described the sound, but basically made it sound like a BoC record. But the annoying part is that I couldn't get to head fi today from work, where I have the email, and now I go to warprecords.com and can't find any mention of it. But unless I'm losing my mind, I saw it. I'll try to post the text and a link tomorrow so that this sounds less shady.

And no, I'm not cruel enough to do this to you all as a sick joke.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 29
damn you, redshifter.. i was supremely excited, and then totally destroyed :[

interesting stuff though, s m @.. i will be waiting for some good news! :]

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 29
OK, well, I just took a quick Google, and while I didn't find the actual newsletter --which I'll post tomorrow--, I did find:

News item from a BoC site http://boardsofcanada.watmm.com/

Friday, July 15, 2005
New Boards of Canada LP For October 2005
The as-yet-unnamed Boards of Canada LP is due out October 2005. More details as they become available.

This is Boards of Canada's first LP since 2002's Geogaddi.
Posted by Joyrex on 07/15 at 03:19 PM

And this site simply says that the new album is due in October:

http://www.music70.com/news.html

I'm just a little thrown by the fact that it wasn't the regular Warp site that I saw the news on today, but I'm pretty sure it's legit. It also had updates on Broadcast and a couple other Warp acts. Like I said, I'll get it and post it tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 29
"We are extremely proud to announce that Boards of Canada have finished and mastered their new album, to be released in October - their first release since 2002's Geogaddi! The album is very much classic Boards, building on themes and sounds that can can be heard in their intervening remix work for Beck, cLOUDDEAD and Boom Bip."
- Warp Records

This was posted on a site I visit.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 29
Jul 20, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 29
I anticipate.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 29
I got the Boards of Canada album 'Music has the right to children' the other day. I have to be honest I think it's over-rated. Apparently it's their best album but I just kept thinking it's only ok, and not half as good as Aphex Twin. I've only listened to non-mainstream (i.e. no trance, dance I dislike most of it) electronic music in the last two years but of all the bands I've tried so far, IMO only about 30% are as good as Richard D. James best work. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong type of electronic music, I didn't even like most of Autechres albums.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I got the Boards of Canada album 'Music has the right to children' the other day. I have to be honest I think it's over-rated. Apparently it's their best album but I just kept thinking it's only ok, and not half as good as Aphex Twin. I've only listened to non-mainstream (i.e. no trance, dance I dislike most of it) electronic music in the last two years but of all the bands I've tried so far, IMO only about 30% are as good as Richard D. James best work. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong type of electronic music, I didn't even like most of Autechres albums.

i'm curious, this is in no way meant as disrespect, but did you grow up in the 70's? i find boc's music touches hidden memories of my youth growing up with the kind of sound they make (that high-pass cut buzzing analog sound). just an idea.

also, i tend to think of autechre (which i like) to be similar to boc this way-
boc:autechre:
redface.gif
rganic:mechanical

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat

I used to listen to Aphex Twin a lot, I still listen to SAWII but not his other stuff as much.

I think Geogaddi is a muc better than MHTRTC.

Eventually I tired all together of the IDM sound and now listen to Biosphere, Matthew Florianz, Mum, Global Communications, Steve Roach, Brian Eno, and many others, I consider them better than the majority of Aphex Twins work but hey thats just my opinion.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i find boc's music touches hidden memories of my youth growing up with the kind of sound they make (that high-pass cut buzzing analog sound).

Exactly. I grew up during the 80s but that is what I love about BoC, they have a way of bringing up a nostalgic feeling that I haven't heard elsewhere, much more involving to me than Aphex with the exception of Selected Ambient Works Volume II which is a classic cd.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 29
Also for a way to find really good electronic music, you need to listen to net radio.

www.sleepbot.com probably has more cool minimal electronic music than any other station.

www.somafm.com has a lot of different stations, my favorite being Drone Zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back