10. "Palace Posy"
11. "Split Your Infinities"
12. "Uritual"
13. "Nothing Is Real"
14. "Sundown"
15. "New Seeds"
16. "Come to Dust"
17. "Semena Mertvykh"

It's been a long wait, to say the least. I'm really looking forward to this.

May 24, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 15
If you have pre-ordered the album from an online site, (e.g. Bleep), the first single "Reach For the Dead" is now available for download (320k mp3).

I'm just taking the first few listens, but it's new BoC.  Much more "Music Has the Right..." than "Campfire", but at a much faster tempo than the trance-like  "MHTRTC". 

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 15
I finally got this in the mail today and I've gotta say it really is a whole new Boards of Canada.

Much more trance like and ambient, and much less loop based than their previous stuff. It reminded more of something like Carbon Based Lifeforms than it did Boards of Canada. 

Some extremely great tracks on here, overall I like it. Quite a bit of slow ambient stuff on it though which some people might not like but I did.

Anyone else give it a listen yet?

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I finally got this in the mail today and I've gotta say it really is a whole new Boards of Canada.

Much more trance like and ambient, and much less loop based than their previous stuff. It reminded more of something like Carbon Based Lifeforms than it did Boards of Canada. 

Some extremely great tracks on here, overall I like it. Quite a bit of slow ambient stuff on it though which some people might not like but I did.

Anyone else give it a listen yet?

yep i do agree. i remember listening to their former albums. sure, i liked them, but not a whole lot tbh. 
carbon based life forms is one of my favorites, most of the music i listen to is similar, and i agree that this album is closer to those. so i liked "tomorrows harvest" alot more then the other two.

the micro detail on this track is astounding. so many layers and textures of sound. i think this would be a great album to use for abx testing, which i will - just for the fun of it

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 15
I really need to check this out. Big fan of BoC. Now, hearing that they have a CBL twist really intrigues me. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 15
I think this is a tough Boards album, for a few reasons.  Two immediate ones are: it's very introspective, almost drone-like in a lot of places and the other, possibly more damning one for this particular forum: it doesn't seem to "play nice" with headphones.  My impressions from listening to this at work on headphones (though not my usual choice for detailed listening, but good enough) and then listening at home on the two-channel are night and day comparisons.

TH is obviously no Music Has the Right or Campfire, both of which, through instrumental choices or songs, I find are more generally upbeat and hopeful collections of songs.  A few TH tracks wouldn't be out of place on Music Has the Right; specifically the ironically named "Cold Earth" and the syncopated "Palace Posy" which is sort of jammed context-less into the middle of a block of bleak desolate songs both before and after it. I wouldn't be surprised if in filling out the track lists, BoC found that particular run of songs too dark even for them and needed to lighten things up a bit.

That leaves it on the Geogaddi side of the playlist.  But where I find a warmth in the abrupt and often uncomfortable rhythms of Geogaddi, TH is a cooler and much more desolate sounding record.  For example, Nothing is Real starts off in a warm, very-BoC riff which then adds a dissonant synth about a quarter of the way through that sounds like tearing metal.   The two sounds continue and compete with each other in an icy, fairly uneasy way.  So far to me, TH sounds more like the lonely calm after the destructive storm of a Geogaddi.

And while it's engineered to an organic perfection (aside again from the odd manner in which Palace Posy is shoe-horned into a series droning tracks with long fade outs), i find there are fine layers of detail and textures among the seemingly spare tracks that reveal themselves in much more coherent way which I believe suited to a big spread soundstage and imaging of a two channel system over the condensed listening of headphones.  Not for the first time with this album, I find this a bit ironic, since the overall sense of solitude that many of the tracks convey would seem to lend itself to the personal confinement of headphones.  But I believe it is more a case of headphones showing the fine detail up close but at a loss of the organized overall picture.

The Sandisons have a pretty consistent theme throughout TH, and I don't know that it will attract large numbers of new fans. I also believe they didn't care about  just repeating any of their previous albums, so in that respect, TH is a success.  However, it wouldn't surprise me that in the time they took to create TH, that they have created a large stockpile of tracks which are the warmer, more innocent style so many fans seem to enjoy.  Possibly, they would see fit to putting some of these on a follow up which would hit shelves much sooner than the delay between Campfire and TH?

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
The Sandisons have a pretty consistent theme throughout TH, and I don't know that it will attract large numbers of new fans.

sorry to give such a short response to such a detailed post, but...
im assuming the sandisons are BoC? well, look at me, i kinda liked their former albums, but i REALLY like this one

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

sorry to give such a short response to such a detailed post, but...
im assuming the sandisons are BoC? well, look at me, i kinda liked their former albums, but i REALLY like this one

As, you've stated.  But you're pretty clear that you like because it doesn't sound like BoC, but instead because it sounds like another band.  And yes, you're more than a bit light on why this would attract large numbers of new fans, besides yourself.

I like ambient, drone and the Ultimae roster as well.  But there are loads of artists who can provide that experience in a very satisfactory way.  If you're saying that dedicated ambient fans who know nothing of BoC will suddenly become BoC fans because of Tomorrow's Harvest, and then fans of the rest of their catalog, I just don't see it.  Some will, sure; but not large numbers.  Their earlier albums are just too different.

BoC gathered the following the did because they made electronic music that was unique in that it was both organic and evoked a strong sense of nostalgia in listeners.  Even when they get into weirder, darker corners of their music, it is easy to identify a BoC track.  Today, there are very few artists that can manage that despite a proven enthusiastic audience for that sound.  Off the top of my head, there's Tycho (imo, consistently the closest) , Boc Scadet, Christ. (who many say was an early member of BoC, and recorded at the BoC studio), the occasional Aphex Twin track, and every now and then, Múm.  And none of them can (or try to) pull it off for an entire album.

Take a look at this map of bands that listeners have likened to BoC.  As described by the website "The closer two artists are, the greater the probability people will like both artists."

http://www.music-map.com/boards+of+canada.html

None are really close to BoC at all, and the ones that are (Amon Tobin? Squarepusher? Monolake? Autechre?) are so very different than BoC even at first listen,  that the only reason they are grouped seems to be they are more chronological contemporaries under an IDM umbrella than truly "similar artists".

Now, you want the ethereal soundscapes of Carbon Based Lifeforms?  Take your pick

http://www.music-map.com/carbon+based+lifeforms.html

Look at how those artists are clustered; practically on top of each other; suggesting a high level of interchangeability.  Not included in there are the likes of Steve Roach, sonmi451, Oophi, Cell, Nitrous Oxide, Jack Danger's "Music for Planetarium" etc. etc.

None of this changes my reasons listed above.  For a BoC album, TH is much more sterile and sparse than their previous efforts (even comparing it to the early bootlegs of dubious origin), and it really does lose something vital going from 2 channel to headphones. 

I hope listeners of ambient downtempo and soundscape music who weren't aware of BoC like this album and use it as a starting point to get into them as a band further.  I believe there will be some who do find something new in BoC.  That's great.  And I'm very happy you're enjoying it.  

I just don't believe that the these new listeners will make this into a huge seller, above and beyond BoC's already dedicated audience (like me), who will buy anything the band puts out.  I also think that next album (if/when it comes) will not sound anything like this one.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

As, you've stated.  But you're pretty clear that you like because it doesn't sound like BoC, but instead because it sounds like another band.  And yes, you're more than a bit light on why this would attract large numbers of new fans, besides yourself.

I like ambient, drone and the Ultimae roster as well.  But there are loads of artists who can provide that experience in a very satisfactory way.  If you're saying that dedicated ambient fans who know nothing of BoC will suddenly become BoC fans because of Tomorrow's Harvest, and then fans of the rest of their catalog, I just don't see it.  Some will, sure; but not large numbers.  Their earlier albums are just too different.

BoC gathered the following the did because they made electronic music that was unique in that it was both organic and evoked a strong sense of nostalgia in listeners.  Even when they get into weirder, darker corners of their music, it is easy to identify a BoC track.  Today, there are very few artists that can manage that despite a proven enthusiastic audience for that sound.  Off the top of my head, there's Tycho (imo, consistently the closest) , Boc Scadet, Christ. (who many say was an early member of BoC, and recorded at the BoC studio), the occasional Aphex Twin track, and every now and then, Múm.  And none of them can (or try to) pull it off for an entire album.

Ahh, I completely forgot about Tycho. Thanks for rekindling my enthusiasm. Really great stuff. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 15
I definitely see what you're saying, Smeckles. I was a little confused on what you meant by it wouldn't gather new fans at first, but you're right that people are not going to necessarily like the rest of their catalog if they like this album. And for a Boards of Canada fan it might seem a little dull since they've almost completely removed the trip-hop style that they had before, and it does lack the uniqueness that they've shown before. I still like it and find it to be a well crafted and polished album, but I know what you mean and I can see why someone would be disappointed.

I do not understand what you're talking about with it not being headphone friendly, but I don't have a good speaker system to compare it to. I really only consider an album not headphone friendly if there is extreme panning in it(like the early Beatles albums) but I didn't really notice any of that here.

And I need to check out Boc Scadet and Múm seeing how I love both Christ. and Tycho.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #15 of 15
i dont think TH sounds like its a completely different artists release. i think the BoC feel is still there, just changed. i also dont necessarily think that the change was meant to increase their fanclub, perhaps they just wanted to do something different? however, after reading all your posts on this thread, i can understand why you may be underwhelmed by TH. its still a great album imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back