New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #121 of 1,956
Just got official confirmation from Beyer - T5p 2nd gen earpads and headband are 100% real leather material.  Not pleather or any other synthetic material.  At first I made an assumption it was pleather because it didn't feel like a real leather and after hours of listening my ears never got hot or sweaty.  Also, their website is going to be updated to reflect that, correcting earpads are not velour but real leather.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #122 of 1,956
Just got official confirmation from Beyer - T5p 2nd gen earpads and headband are 100% real leather material.  Not pleather or any other synthetic material.  At first I made an assumption it was pleather because it didn't feel like a real leather and after hours of listening my ears never got hot or sweaty.  Also, their website is going to be updated to reflect that, correcting earpads are not velour but real leather.

Thanks for doing that.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #123 of 1,956

Hi,are you sure ? Because on the Beyerdynamic Europe official website , it still mentioned that is synthetic leatherette with protein coating. Thanks .

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #124 of 1,956
T 5 p 2nd Gen is a LOT better than TH900... I am waiting to try TH900 MK2 to see if there are improvements.

A very sweeping statement....and hardly true, as they are chalk and cheese. I own TH900 and tried AK T5p extensively. Both great....they are very similar quality. The TH900 is more fun like a big engined muscle car...the T5p a more balanced tool like a British sports car....Both produce same lap time, in different ways.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #125 of 1,956
Thanks for your reply! I have gone the other way, from listening through speakers to headphones. My former setup is not very high end, so I get far more detail and synergy with headphones.

I am very intrigued by your progressive comments on the new T5p, and the lack of obvious flaws in them. Would you say they are worth the extra cost over DT1770?

For me the extra $ are worth.

I hear the same with these headphones in the comparisons like all until now have written in this thread.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #126 of 1,956
A very sweeping statement....and hardly true, as they are chalk and cheese. I own TH900 and tried AK T5p extensively. Both great....they are very similar quality. The TH900 is more fun like a big engined muscle car...the T5p a more balanced tool like a British sports car....Both produce same lap time, in different ways.

Pls. re-read my post...

"Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 

T 5 p 2nd Gen is a LOT better than TH900... I am waiting to try TH900 MK2 to see if there are improvements."

AK T5p is not second gen. T 5 p...

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #127 of 1,956

Thats what I heard as well... and I don't think the connectors look any good (visually not on par with the beautiful cups).

To me the TH900's amount of bass is fatiguing, which is why I seldom use them. The T5p2 is not, while still having nice bass.

I found the bass on the thx00 fatiguing, which is said to be a little less than the 900.

Me too. The Master-1 is about the maximum I can stand for longer, the T5p2 has a bit less which is no flaw to me.

Yes, the Fostexes are fun for a short time, but over a longer period they stress me.

I've once heard an AKT5p (that one belonging to @oelro ) and while it sounded a bit different from the standard T5p I still owned at that time, the T5p2 is quite a bit better than how I remember both of them (i.e. T5p and AKT5p).

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #128 of 1,956
Ordering mine tonight. Anyone know where to get them cheaper than msrp? I know woo has a good deal hoping on with free shipping and a free headphone stand but wouldn't mind getting them cheaper.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #129 of 1,956
I looked everywhere and ended up calling hifiguy at woo audio. That was pretty awesome chatting with such a cool dude and especially someone with the celebrity status he has. I'm pretty confident in my purchase right now. Hopefully the shipment gets in earlier in the week and I get to sit down and get to know these beautiful headphones. I'm pretty pumped! Thanks again Hifiguy!

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #130 of 1,956

Hi,are you sure ? Because on the Beyerdynamic Europe official website , it still mentioned that is synthetic leatherette with protein coating. Thanks .

And the recently released T1.2 has pleather headband.

When asked about that Beyerdynamic said that they were moving to pleather for all new products due to quality and longevity issues with real leather (not that I believe it's anything more than a cost-saving exercise).

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #131 of 1,956
Pls. re-read my post...

"Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 

T 5 p 2nd Gen is a LOT better than TH900... I am waiting to try TH900 MK2 to see if there are improvements."

AK T5p is not second gen. T 5 p...

I did my friend....but feedback so far seemed to suggest AK was similar to gen 2....but even if gen 2 better, you still can't say it's a lot better...it's misleading, as you don't explain your justification. The TH900 compares well shoulder to shoulder with most flagships.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #132 of 1,956
And the recently released T1.2 has pleather headband.

When asked about that Beyerdynamic said that they were moving to pleather for all new products due to quality and longevity issues with real leather (not that I believe it's anything more than a cost-saving exercise).

That is correct. Its definitely pleather, albeit of a very high quality (what I heard it's actually even a bit more expensive than the old leather version). It's polyurethane with a protein surface, sourced in Japan. I was a bit disappointed when I heard it's not leather anymore but have to say that after using it I'm more than satisfied. It feels really good and should last longer than leather.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #133 of 1,956
This is confusing.  I got my reply straight from one of the senior US national sales managers (Pete Carini).  He confirmed that T5p.2 earpads and headband are made with 100% real leather.  Also, I spent a few hours wearing them last night, and pleather or any synthetic leather always gets hot and my ears get sweaty.  Here with T5p.2 not a single issue.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #134 of 1,956
Any thoughts/comparisons on using these directly powered by a mobile device as opposed to driving them by an external source such as the HA-2? I'm considering buying a pair and wondering if I should purchase an HA-2 to pair with them.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #135 of 1,956
  This is confusing.  I got my reply straight from one of the senior US national sales managers (Pete Carini).  He confirmed that T5p.2 earpads and headband are made with 100% real leather.  Also, I spent a few hours wearing them last night, and pleather or any synthetic leather always gets hot and my ears get sweaty.  Here with T5p.2 not a single issue.

I got my information from the product manager in Germany. He told me that its a rather expensive material and the highest quality they could find. He also mentioned that its seldom used for headphones, so I'd not categorize it as any other pleather (which I have similar experiences to yours with). The T5p2 is really fine in that regard, very comfortable. Even better to me than the old model.

Any thoughts/comparisons on using these directly powered by a mobile device as opposed to driving them by an external source such as the HA-2? I'm considering buying a pair and wondering if I should purchase an HA-2 to pair with them.

Just connected them directly to my iPad (the jack is a bit wide and won't with with my iPhone case on). At 3/4 volume it was already louder than I'd want to listen, so I don't think the iPad would have problems driving them. I don't think an amp is strictly necessary with the T5p, but that depends on your phone of course.

They work very well out of my AK320 btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back