New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #3,436 of 3,925
Thanks for sharing. I didn't like the T1 gen1 as I found it to be too bright for my taste. I was thinking about getting a T1 gen2 but I was surprised to hear about some units sounding different from the others. It looks I have to audition before buying and not picked up from Amazon/eBay.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #3,437 of 3,925
For reference mine are New, silver gen 2’s with an SN in the 48000’s.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #3,438 of 3,925
For reference mine are New, silver gen 2’s with an SN in the 48000’s.

I’m not sure if it has to do with serial number as some people find some of their older pairs warm sounding. Possibly something is going on with the pads which can easily explain it. Maybe there was a batch with bad pads or the wrong pads installed at one point and I do recall my old pairs pads being a bit different in stiffness and overall feel.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #3,439 of 3,925
So I've come to the conclusion that I can't stand the treble on my T1.2 (silver, SN 26xxx) using SS amps (Burson Soloist SL, LC 2.0)

What would be a good tube/hybrid balanced amp ~500$ that I can get? I'm thinking Drop Liquid Platinum. Any others?

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #3,441 of 3,925
So I've come to the conclusion that I can't stand the treble on my T1.2 (silver, SN 26xxx) using SS amps (Burson Soloist SL, LC 2.0)

What would be a good tube/hybrid balanced amp ~500$ that I can get? I'm thinking Drop Liquid Platinum. Any others?
I would think any decent otl amp would be a good match for the T1

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #3,443 of 3,925
I

I use my T1.2 with the Feliks Audio Echo. I'm really enjoying the combination.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3,444 of 3,925
Would you know of any balanced otl amp? I want to maximize the use of my balanced dac so I kinda need a balanced amp.
Not sure you’re going to get a balanced OTL amp, SS you will.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #3,446 of 3,925
The OTL tube route is a great choice. The T1 sound awesome on my xDuoo TA-03, these can really juice high impedance drivers. I measured this amp can swing over 11 volts into these, dangerously close to the 300mW limit and with little distortion. The 12AU7 can be carefully selected to tame the high end, I like the vintage JAN tubes for example.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,448 of 3,925
I don't think you need balanced otl amp anyway. T1 is like 600 ohm, so there would be less noise factor and tube otl just pump out high wattage.
So, there's really no point to go for balanced amp.
True, but with my dac(modius), the rca and xlr outs use different analog stages. So I want to utilize the xlr out of my dac. And I think the xlr out would match better with tube amps.

I might get a valhallla 2 in a few days. I'll report back if my dacs (modius,idsd micro) pair well with it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,449 of 3,925
Just got a pair of 2nd gen T1s for second time. My favourite Beyer model is the 600 ohm DT990s followed by the T5p 2nd gen. The T1 are very different in comparison, especially when it comes to the forward mids, which I had forgotten about and which I find somewhat problematic. I also don't find them bright in the slightest. Smooth and slightly rolled off would be the terms I'd apply. They're definitely not energetic. It's hard to reconcile the frequency graph with what I'm actually hearing, given the reported peak.

Are there any pads available which suppress the mids and actually make them brighter? I want to give them time because I know the T1 is not an instant gratification headphone...

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,450 of 3,925
So I just got mine, and I was hoping these would be my go to for Pop/R&B/Vocal based music and pair my LCD-2s for my Hip-Hop/EDM/Rock needs, but In my 1st 24 hours im finding these very.... distant with vocals compared to my LCD2s? This is completely opposite of what I was expecting. It sounds like It brings all the instruments to my attention and the voice/mids are just somewhere back behind every other sound, just doesn't sound good. Also the bass is wayyyyy more then was described, this thing punches more than my LCD2 does (depth of bass is still better on LCD2 overall though).

Am I missing something? Did I just get some weird pair? S/N is 44593 so its definitely a later batch. Not the sound signature I thought I was buying into at all. Been listening to them all day hoping my ears would adjust but they still just don't sound very natural at the end compared to me putting on my LCD-2s and them sounding just about right instantly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back