New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #3,421 of 3,924
Don't like it at all. Sounds excessively bright to my ears, and doesn't come even close to reaching its full potential. I love the iFi, just don't think it works well with the T1.2.
I wonder if my age (48) helps these cans not sound bright? I also have been a Klipsch speaker fan and my mains are KLF-20’s. Klipsch is known for being bright so I wonder if I’ve grown to know it as my standard and why I love it? No idea but I definetly love my T1.2’s with my iFi Zen DAC and Hip-DAC when listening off of my iPad.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #3,422 of 3,924
Everyone's ears are different, as are their sound preferences, so definitely don't let my opinion color your enjoyment. The iFi Zen also likely has different internals than the iFi Micro iDSD Black.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #3,423 of 3,924
The iFi Zen also likely has different internals than the iFi Micro iDSD Black.

The entire ZEN range certainly is different and, due to the fact of its balanced architecture, not really comparable.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 22, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,424 of 3,924
Actually, I agree with you. They do sound pretty decent with the Jot with some recordings -- I had forgotten about that. I don't use my Jot with the T1.2 because the Lyr 3 sounds even better, but as others have pointed out, I'm sure there are many solid state amps that do sound quite good with the T1.2. The Jot was the best sounding solid state amp I tried with the T1.2.

I don't recommend the THX 789, and by extension probably wouldn't recommend the THX 888 (though I haven't heard this pairing) with the T1.2. My DAC source when using the THX 789 was an SMSL SU-8, so certainly that could also just have been a bad match.

Bear in mind that I am only speaking from limited experience -- my solid state collection has included the Jot, the THX 789, an Audeze Deckard, Burson Conductor SL 1793, and iFi Micro iDSD Black.
Yes I head the THX 789 wasn't too good a pairing with the T1's, I found T1/Jot more picky than with Elise, but with warmer recordings there wasn't much difference, it can sound just as good.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,426 of 3,924
I currently use a BH Crack with the DT1990 which I love, not planning to ever part with these headphones. I am intrigued with the T1, is it a notable upgrade on the DT1990?

Plan to stay with OTL tube amplification.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,427 of 3,924
I got my T1’s a few days ago brand new. First impressions are these are not at all what i was expecting. Laid back, smooth and WARM. I started listening on the Icon HP8 + Aries 2. Bass was too bloated and too relaxed. I’m not getting any hint what so ever of any treble peak or how anyone could say these are sharp.

Yes I head the THX 789 wasn't too good a pairing with the T1's, I found T1/Jot more picky than with Elise, but with warmer recordings there wasn't much difference, it can sound just as good.

I actually went back to my THX 789 and SMSL SU8 for these headphones and found them the best pairing.

These are just my first impressions compared to the Clear. Despite them feeling like the are a step down in teirs from the Clear’s I am actually enjoying them. It just doesn’t match the impressions I got from YouTube reviews (a lot that were probably early gen 1’s).

More impressions after more time,

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,428 of 3,924
I got my T1’s a few days ago brand new. First impressions are these are not at all what i was expecting. Laid back, smooth and WARM. I started listening on the Icon HP8 + Aries 2. Bass was too bloated and too relaxed. I’m not getting any hint what so ever of any treble peak or how anyone could say these are sharp.

I actually went back to my THX 789 and SMSL SU8 for these headphones and found them the best pairing.

These are just my first impressions compared to the Clear. Despite them feeling like the are a step down in teirs from the Clear’s I am actually enjoying them. It just doesn’t match the impressions I got from YouTube reviews (a lot that were probably early gen 1’s).

More impressions after more time,

That's how I feel about my T1.2's. Laid-back, smooth, and warm and they imho sound best on neutral and clean systems or systems that may be a little bright. On warm, dark, and/or bassy systems they may sound too bloated in the bass and too dark making them sound like they are missing something in the upper regions. Honestly they fill in the HD 6xx family role for me despite it's more laid-back mids. A lot of impressions you see online are of the Gen 2. Based on my experience there are bright and lean sounding pairs and warm sounding pairs floating around, but why that is so I have no idea. I've owned both a bright pair and a warm sounding pair. A lot of impressions I see about the T1.2 on youtube and some review sites correlate with my experience on the bright pair. But my current T1.2 the impressions are not even close to what they sound like.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #3,429 of 3,924

These are just my first impressions compared to the Clear. Despite them feeling like the are a step down in teirs from the Clear’s I am actually enjoying them. It just doesn’t match the impressions I got from YouTube reviews (a lot that were probably early gen 1’s)

That was more or less my first impression with the T1s. I did not find these peaky nor sharp at all.

And I don't have Focal's clear, but compared to my Stellia, I don't consider these a downgrade. Just different.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,431 of 3,924
I'm intrigued. It seems like there are 2 different versions for T1 gen2. The earlier one is bright and the latest one is warmer?

Not true.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,433 of 3,924
So T1 gen2 is warmer?

There are two versions of gen 2, silver and black. They sound identical. Difference is just in cosmetics. Gen1 and gen2 sound different.

You said two versions of T1 gen2.
Unless that was a typo and you meant two versions of T1 i.e. gen 1 & 2.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #3,435 of 3,924
I'm intrigued. It seems like there are 2 different versions for T1 gen2. The earlier one is bright and the latest one is warmer?

I know from experience there are different sounding T1.2’s floating around. The original T1 the gen 1 had some units that sounded different. But I’ve only heard a gen 1 briefly a long time ago.

I’ve owned two very different sounding T1 gen 2’s that have been listened to on the same systems. But not many people have had the same experience as me with them. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the huge variation in impressions has somewhat to that there are some different sounding pairs floating around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back