New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 24, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,182 of 3,924
I just got my T1 2nd Gen headphones today. Just had a quick listen and can compare the handling to my previous beyerdynamic Amiron Homes. The T1 2nd Gen feel less substantial and lighter than the Amirons. Now this is quite odd as the spec sheets suggest that the T1s are heavier (Amiron Home = 340g without cable, T1 2nd Gen = 360g without cable). The Amirons have plusher coatings. However, the handling of the T1s feels better to me. I find them more comfortable on my head. The cable is also lighter (but is stiffer) compared to the one supplied with the Amirons.

The Amirons are a LOT darker and have less treble. The T1s sound a fair bit more sparkly with a more pronounced upper end. The sub-bass on the Amirons is superb and is a little light on the T1s. For example, there is the starting of Soul Embrace by Brian Simpson on the album Just What You Need that has a bass drum thump that was simply incredible and breathtaking to experience on the Amirons. It literally felt like someone hit the underside of my skull directly, such was the sharpness and intensity of it. That track is my reference track for sub-bass. The T1s don't quite hit the mark with that track as the Amirons do. I'm hoping the sub-bass improves with more burn-in.

The clarity with the T1s is an improvement over the Amirons. I can't comment on soundstage yet as I haven't spent enough time listening to them.

They'll be undergoing a burn-in for several nights. Can anyone recommend a burn-in time for them?

They do take a while to fully settle in, found bass and treble to be what changed the most. The T1.2 took a bit longer than the Amiron to fully settle. Didn’t pay much attention to the hours as I just listened to mine. Only find my T1.2 slightly brighter than my Amiron Home but the T1.2 also has a gentler treble texture than the Amiron. But the T1.2 does demand more from the system than the Amiron and does vary a bit more system to system because of this.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,186 of 3,924
I plan to get the T1 (to be use in balanced mode with the powerful Cayin iHA-6). I actually have sundara, very airy and open : so is there a sense of openness with T1 ? Is T1 ´claustrophobic’ or too much ´in your head’ sound ?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #3,187 of 3,924
By the way, is there T1 owner that has compared T1 thru Mojo vs powerful amp ? What are the differences and is T1 thru Mojo an enjoyeable headphone ? My Mojo fits my Sundara very well

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #3,188 of 3,924
I plan to get the T1 (to be use in balanced mode with the powerful Cayin iHA-6). I actually have sundara, very airy and open : so is there a sense of openness with T1 ? Is T1 ´claustrophobic’ or too much ´in your head’ sound ?

I would say it's open and airy. I can only compare it to my previous Amiron Home. I found the T1.2 more open and airy than the Amiron Home, and that itself was very good.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #3,190 of 3,924
I found that more power was better.

What amp is it?
Adding an amp between Mojo and T1, didn’t you have a loss of transparency?
What is obviously better : bass, soundstage?

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,191 of 3,924
I finally picked up a pair of these. Really enjoying them so far. I’m running them with a JDS Labs element for now, though I plan to get an Asgard 3 in this year to pair with it. So far these complement my PioneerSE monitor 5 very well. Similarly warm and detailed, but have that nice holographic soundstage.

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #3,192 of 3,924
What amp is it?
Adding an amp between Mojo and T1, didn’t you have a loss of transparency?
What is obviously better : bass, soundstage?

Transparency —I used the Beyerdynamic amp. Eventually I got the Hugo 2 which is a great match for T1

edit:

I am playing the Mojo/Poly through to T1’s today.

it sounds terrific.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,193 of 3,924
I’m revisiting my T1.2 headphones. I paused using them for a couple of weeks whilst I was waiting for a new DAC to arrive (Topping D90). I’m using an I2S interface to connect my digital transport to my DAC, then a headphone amp to my T1.2 headphones.

The sound has noticeably improved. It is now more holographic with a significant amount of more detail. The Arcam rHead headphone amp is managing to drive the T1.2 headphones with a small amount of headroom to spare. The resolution of the music has increased somewhat too - possibly because of the more direct DAC route and the use of a balanced out from DAC to headphone amp.

Possibly due to the DAC, I’m noticing a more forthright, firmer sound. After a few nights of listening I’ll be switching to my beyerdynamic Xelentos to see how the diminutive Tesla IEMs stack up against the full-sized T1.2s given exactly the same hardware music chain.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #3,194 of 3,924
Is anyone finding the T1.2 headphones a little bass light? I did quite a bit of listening with them today and then switched over to my beyer Xelento IEMs just to check and the bass was somewhat stronger. The headphone amp was the same for both.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #3,195 of 3,924
Is anyone finding the T1.2 headphones a little bass light? I did quite a bit of listening with them today and then switched over to my beyer Xelento IEMs just to check and the bass was somewhat stronger. The headphone amp was the same for both.

The T1.2 has some of the strongest bass of my headphones when put on my UDA-1 amp and still quite prominent in the bass on the Asgard 3. I’m finding my T1.2 to be on the bassier and darker side, overall I find my T1.2 Black in line with my HD 6XX with a little more treble, little less upper mids, a bit more bass, and notably deeper reaching bass. Haven’t heard the Xelento before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back