New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #1,726 of 3,924
I just got the T1 second generation with 75 hours on them from an Audiogon member with the balanced cables ($140 option).  Paid $895.  I'm think I'm over my head.  My little Geekout can't handle it and I'm wishing I'd have bought the T5p.  What to trade?

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,727 of 3,924
Can anyone please suggest a USB dac amp that compliments the T1 2nd gen - 600 Ohm headphone. My source is a WIN10 laptop with FLAC files and Spotify Premium. Thanks

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,728 of 3,924
  Can anyone please suggest a USB dac amp that compliments the T1 2nd gen - 600 Ohm headphone. My source is a WIN10 laptop with FLAC files and Spotify Premium. Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv#post_12817645

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,732 of 3,924
Thanks for suggesting the Schitt Jotunheim. 

At first looks, it’s an impressive offering with single ended headphone output to a max of 175mW into 600 ohms. I would need to add its complimentary AK4490 DAC module. I may add T1.2 balanced cables later to find out if the additional spend is worthy. Does anyone have experience with this brand new Jotunheim?

I would also appreciate other suggestions for a USB+DAC/AMP combo or separate units. Thanks

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,733 of 3,924
  Thanks for suggesting the Schitt Jotunheim. 

At first looks, it’s an impressive offering with single ended headphone output to a max of 175mW into 600 ohms. I would need to add its complimentary AK4490 DAC module. I may add T1.2 balanced cables later to find out if the additional spend is worthy. Does anyone have experience with this brand new Jotunheim?

I would also appreciate other suggestions for a USB+DAC/AMP combo or separate units. Thanks

For separate units, if you don't mind tubes Feliks amps really have some great synergy.  The Espressivo I reviewed really paired well. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,734 of 3,924
  For separate units, if you don't mind tubes Feliks amps really have some great synergy.  The Espressivo I reviewed really paired well. 

Agreed. I have read lots of reviews regarding "how to make the best sound out of T1". Solid state amps are generally very hard to make T1 shine. Amplifier like A20, A2 or Lehmann linear makes T1 over transparent and sonic (and they are already claimed to be the good match for T1 from users).

Some very expensive summit-end SS amps will just keep disappointing you with T1. Guess that's one of the reasons why T1 is underrated, because of its low compatibility matching with lots of SS amp and making  reviewers away from T1. Assuming the definition of a good flagship headphone nowadays is: making good sound on any high-end amp. 

But that doesn't mean T1 cannot sound good as well as some other flagships. I think all experienced T1 users will agree: T1 loves tube. So thatonenoob suggests you Feliks Espressivo, I would suggest a step more: Feliks Elise.

One of my friends went to London Canjam and told me that the Elise was at the Beyer stand, and it sounds much much better than A2 (more involving, musical, emotional yet with transparent, sonic). So as he claimed that £500 tube amp with stock tube sounds much better than flagship Beyer A2 costing £1000. I'm sure you know which one to choose. If you read the Feliks Elise thread, the tube rolling will even make T1 sound better. The only thing might hurt you to choose tube amp is: tube rolling might cost you more in a long run but it is also a fun only can get from tube amp.

I'm currently running T1.2 from (Arcam irDAC, Lehmann linear cube amp). I optimized a lot for my USB chain: Uptone regen, intona, Curious cable, Sbooster linear psu for the DAC.  Those optimization does make T1 sound more real, but it is still too sonic for me. That's why I stop upgrading the DAC to Chord 2qute but placing the order of Elise first. 

Good luck.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,735 of 3,924
  Agreed. I have read lots of reviews regarding "how to make the best sound out of T1". Solid state amps are generally very hard to make T1 shine. Amplifier like A20, A2 or Lehmann linear makes T1 over transparent and sonic (and they are already claimed to be the good match for T1 from users).

Some very expensive summit-end SS amps will just keep disappointing you with T1. Guess that's one of the reasons why T1 is underrated, because of its low compatibility matching with lots of SS amp and making  reviewers away from T1. Assuming the definition of a good flagship headphone nowadays is: making good sound on any high-end amp. 

But that doesn't mean T1 cannot sound good as well as some other flagships. I think all experienced T1 users will agree: T1 loves tube. So thatonenoob suggests you Feliks Espressivo, I would suggest a step more: Feliks Elise.

One of my friends went to London Canjam and told me that the Elise was at the Beyer stand, and it sounds much much better than A2 (more involving, musical, emotional yet with transparent, sonic). So as he claimed that £500 tube amp with stock tube sounds much better than flagship Beyer A2 costing £1000. I'm sure you know which one to choose. If you read the Feliks Elise thread, the tube rolling will even make T1 sound better. The only thing might hurt you to choose tube amp is: tube rolling might cost you more in a long run but it is also a fun only can get from tube amp.

I'm currently running T1.2 from (Arcam irDAC, Lehmann linear cub amp). I optimized a lot for my USB chain: Uptone regen, intona, Curious cable, Sbooster linear psu for the DAC.  Those optimization does make T1 sound more real, but it is still too sonic for me. That's why I stop upgrading the DAC to Chord 2qute but placing the order of Elise first. 

Good luck.

Indeed and thanks for the write up (sometimes I get lazy 
redface.gif
)!  I shall be giving the Elise a spin very soon, and I hope to unlock the full potential of the T1 through a hopefully improved soundstage.  Very good to hear that you're getting the Elise too.  Tell us how it goes.  In a recent discussion with a friend, I sort of re-realized just how troublesome the T1 amping can be.  It's got that 600 ohm impedance and 102 db/mW @ 500 Hz (not the usual 1000 Hz mind you, EDIT: also this is efficiency!).  Afterwards, then you've got that to handle that troublesome subjective pairing issue.  It's no wonder that many may not have heard a properly driven T1.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,736 of 3,924
so I had the T1.2 for around three weeks now, then got the LD MKIII and some tubes, good headphone but I don't feel like it's worth the asking price. compared to my stax 407 on 006ts. that one had 2 years of break in already so maybe still need some more break in. also after some research I just bought the m8 dac + p1 power supply and the va2 amplifier. which I will test with the MKIII to see which sounds best. I actually like the t1.2 directly from my xonar stx and modern music on youtube sounds pretty good. maybe my ears are too used to the stats in the last 2 years. it just feel much faster and effortless and more "real" sounding. anyways gonna have some fun now with the new dac and hook up that with the stax system to see which sounds best. I will report in how the m8 is with the t1.2. the bass on the t1.2 is very little bit stronger than the stax 407, but 407 I feel like I can hear quite a bit more detail.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,737 of 3,924

I'm currently running T1.2 from (Arcam irDAC, Lehmann linear cub amp). I optimized a lot for my USB chain: Uptone regen, intona, Curious cable, Sbooster linear psu for the DAC.  Those optimization does make T1 sound more real, but it is still too sonic for me. That's why I stop upgrading the DAC to Chord 2qute but placing the order of Elise first. 

Good luck.

Think it's true - my T1 shines with the tubes of the icon audio hp8 mkII - I believe it's at least as good with the Elise - with my SS amp teac ha-501, it lacks power ans body

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,738 of 3,924
Think it's true - my T1 shines with the tubes of the icon audio hp8 mkII - I believe it's at least as good with the Elise - with my SS amp teac ha-501, it lacks power ans body

How's icon audio hp8 mkII? I almost pulled the trigger on it. But eventually pick the Elise. 

Icon audio has a very positive review from Tyll on Innerfidelity and regard it as his favourite match with T1.

But price is more expensive (Jason capacitor upgrade will even cost more) and lack of pre-amp function. Really need some guys owning them both and do a comparison.

Tube users should promote more in this thread and make T1 shine and suggest some boring, analytical SS amp less :)

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,739 of 3,924
If one does not mind DIY, buying from Japan through freight consolidator, and use a 100V step down transformer, the Japanese KA-10SH Mk2/Mk3 is a great amp for the T1. Its high impedance output is specifically designed for 600ohm Beyers.

Click the link from my signature for more details. It resolves almost as good as my Phasetech EPA-007 with just a pair of cheap Russia 6H3n tubes.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,740 of 3,924
My T1.2’s arrived today and I’ve started the burning process. First impressions? They sound pretty good out of the box connected to my Onkyo HA200. I was skeptical that this portable DAC/AMP with max 35mW per channel into 600 ohms might not be able to manage, but Beyerdynamic’s Paul Fattrosso assured me that it would pair very well with the T1.2, and it does. However, I’m a bit curious how they would sound if paired with something much more robust like a Schiit Valalla2 (450mW into 600 Ohms) and complementing Schiit DAC. Hoping someone can give insight and help my curiosity. And much thanks to bavink who helped me with the decision to go with the T1.2 over the T5p.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back