New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #331 of 3,924
  No, it really only happens when you're crazy enough to put a vacuum up against the side of your headphones. :p Or you're trying to get some dust, hair, or dander off the driver or ear foam and you blow on it a bit too hard. I learned the hard way with my DT990, lol. From then on, I've been taking my headphones apart to clean individual parts!

Duly noted! Since daily uses will casue some debris into the headphone (hair, cerumen from the ear, dust). Any suggestion for that? or I just need to begin to desmantle my headphone myslef after a while when i find the sound is weird? Or it is not that necessary to do that?

You are the best so far to make me relieved about my headphone drop. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #332 of 3,924
  Duly noted! Since daily uses will casue some debris into the headphone (hair, cerumen from the ear, dust). Any suggestion for that? or I just need to begin to desmantle my headphone myslef after a while when i find the sound is weird? Or it is not that necessary to do that?

You are the best so far to make me relieved about my headphone drop. 

I've found it to be unnecessary with the T1 because of the material used as a barrier between your ears and the driver. It's simply really hard to get anything stuck inside its driver cage. You could get away with just using a microfiber cloth to go over the material inside the headphones to remove built up hairs and dust. Anything that's really stubborn like a hair stuck halfway through the material that the cloth can't pick up, you can wrap masking tape backwards around your index finger and dab it against the material. That's what I do when performing maintenance on my headphones. In the rare case (or often case when it comes to DTxx0 series!) that a hair actually ends up embedded in the driver dome, you would probably need to disassemble the headphone and use the masking tape trick to remove it. (this is pretty much impossible on the T1 because the dome is surrounded by the magnets, Tesla tech, eh!) You have to be really careful to make sure it's actual hair stuck in the dome and not the driver coil! You can easily tell when this is the case, because when you play music, usually a 130 to 250 hz tone (sine wave sweeps in that range work great, just don't go loud), you will hear a buzzing noise like an obnoxious horse fly coming from the driver.

If you ever want to fix up the smell from microfiber or velour earpads, I found the best way is to fill a mixing bowl with cold or luke warm water and a little bit of dish soap or laundry detergent (I bust a tide free and clear pod with a pin and use a few drops of that), maybe some vinegar if it's really bad. Compress the earpads underwater in the solution multiple times and let the soapy water stay inside them at the bottom of the bowl for about an hour. Then replace the water with clean water and compress the pads a few times again, until there's no more suds. I usually leave them in clean water for about 20 mins because the soap smell may be overwhelming. Compress them with a towel to remove most of the moisture, and squeeze around the donut shape of the ear pads to even out any badly formed shape or wrinkles in the pads before they dry. You don't want them too flat against your ears. You can then let them dry, and put them back on the headphones when they're completely dry.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #334 of 3,924
  Holy moly. You will shine in this forum, man. So pro. Really useful for those DIY tips. Big cheers!

Best reagrds,
Louis

Honestly, I'm just watching this thread here only, waiting for someone that owns both a T1.1 and a T1.2 to create a frequency response comparison graph with both of them, preferably from 5V rms solid state low distortion amplification. :) The upgrade itch is strong! I'm really hoping for a slightly lower treble peak and more extended bass response. I actually listen to my T1.1 with the line out of my DACport LX split between my O2 amplifier and a Denon AVR-X4100W aux in -> Hsu Research VTF15H MK2 subwoofer. Does that make me a basshead? I'm happy to help when I can though.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #336 of 3,924
  Honestly, I'm just watching this thread here only, waiting for someone that owns both a T1.1 and a T1.2 to create a frequency response comparison graph with both of them, preferably from 5V rms solid state low distortion amplification. :) The upgrade itch is strong! I'm really hoping for a slightly lower treble peak and more extended bass response. I actually listen to my T1.1 with the line out of my DACport LX split between my O2 amplifier and a Denon AVR-X4100W aux in -> Hsu Research VTF15H MK2 subwoofer. Does that make me a basshead? I'm happy to help when I can though.

I dont own the old T1, so can't help you out for a decent comparison. Basshead? Try beats then! (LOL, it's a bad joke).

But I do find different AMP will impact T1.2's bass a lot. Previously, I used Lehmann Rhinelander, my DAC is ARCAM irDAC, the bass is tight in ok lvl but not punchy enough. After that, I swap it to Byerdynamic A20 from lots of recommendation, and the difference is obvious, more punchy, deep, and well-extended bass. You can check my previous comments in the thread. 

Hope you keep staying here actively and help others out.

beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #337 of 3,924
When will they release the 4-pin xlr cable? Couldn't they just include it with these expensive headphones?
mad.gif

Hey, if you're really itching for that cable, you could always pull out the soldering kit! :)
Get maybe this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9766
Cut it in half for two pre-terminated good quality 5 ft ear cup connector cables.
Get maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NC4MX-Connector-Nickel-4-Pin/dp/B002EDO2K0
Solder the wires and shields from the cut ends of the cables to the 4p XLR male connector pins in whichever way Beyerdynamic somehow did it because me and XLR don't know each other well enough. :p
Of course you might want to use some flux, lots of tiny heatshrinks, maybe some extra foil shielding if you're going all out. I'm lazy and use 60/40 5-core prefluxed solder.
Last time I inspected a cable made by Beyerdynamic, it wasn't nearly as complicated as many of the cables I see on this site haha!

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #341 of 3,924
mmmm......af first blush, I thought it was the Analog Squared Paper. Lol!  Nice looking tube amp. When will this be RTMed? Will this be compatible with the HM 901S? Very thoughtful to shave off the sharp edges.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #342 of 3,924

FYI  ear pads for the T-1 and 880 are exactly the same and come in 2 colors.

Ear cushions black velour for for DT 531, 811, 880, 911, 931, 990 and T1 headphones...http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/ohrmuschelsatz-33.html

Ear cushions silver (gray) velour for DT 531, 690, 811, 880, 911, 931, 990....http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ohrmuschelsatz-35.html

Did you confirm this yourself or did you just read it and assumed things on your own?

Maybe I need to clarify that I meant the DT880 grey velours pads that come with the headphones.

The old T1 velours pads  definitely feel different from the DT880 grey pads. I am pretty sure that the new T1 pads are different from the DT880 grey pads too. Especially since Beyerdynamic said they made a few changes on the velours pad. See http://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/articles/203829842-What-s-the-difference-between-the-T-1-of-1-and-2-Generation-

One explanation could be a slight difference in earcup sizes so that although the pads are the same, they get more stretched on the T1 and don't feel so soft on the ears. I would like to test this myself but I don't have a DT880 here unfortunately.

Maybe black velours and grey velours are just different. You can see that on the link for grey pads they don't include the T1's after all. Plus, there is a different in net weight. Again, would be nice to confirm this too.......

I have both the grey and the black replacement ear pads.  Both versions came more flattened  and possibly less stiff than the factory pads on the T-1.  I barely remember the original pads that came with my '04 880s but somehow I think all the replacements (at least 7 so far for the 880s) were flattened and less stiff relative to the originals.  I attributed this to packing them too tightly for bulk shipping (from the factory, probably in China, that makes them).

Regarding the changes made to the T-1 pads, I have to say that I prefer regular foam to memory foam, because it doesn't compress (like memory foam) and holds the ear cup further from my ear.  But the replacement pads I currently have are not memory foam, so I will have to wait to see what effect the memory foam has on the sound.

So yes, I'll agree with you that the ear pads that come on the T-1s feel different from the replacements Beyer offers even though the replacements are interchangeable.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #344 of 3,924
Hello everyone, new to the forms! I know its been ask before but, is it really that much better than the old T1? Amazon is currently selling the first gen for $720 and I would appreciate an honest answer before saving up for the latest. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #345 of 3,924
  Hello everyone, new to the forms! I know its been ask before but, is it really that much better than the old T1? Amazon is currently selling the first gen for $720 and I would appreciate an honest answer before saving up for the latest. Thanks.

My guess is that you can get your answer if you read this whole thread. Beyond what we have written, you will need to decide if slightly better bass and smoother treble, along with a different case and detachable cable are worth $480 to you. Only you can answer that.

Another way to think about it. Is the T1.1 and a new $500 amp better than the T1.2 and whatever amp you have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back