New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #496 of 898
IMG_2701.jpeg

Quick and dirty thoughts

I’ve been spending most of my time with the Sundara 2020 and a KISS-modded HD 650 of late. On a whim, I decided to head down to the store to audition the DT 900 Pro X, very much not expecting much at all. After all, my favourite Beyers and the only ones I still own are the DT 150 (fitted with DT 100 velour pads).

I’ve owned the DT 770 in both 80 and 250 ohm flavours, DT 990 600 ohm, DT 1770, and T5p G2. To my mind, the DT 150 are the only Beyers I’ve owned that have both tone and tonality nailed. This was true until I heard the DT 900.

Within the first 15 minutes of my audition, I was sold. These sound nothing at all like typical Beyers, and more akin to a Beyer that has received the Sennheiser treatment, in the best possible way.

Yes, they don’t quite have the staging of their predecessors, but even as an avowed stagehead, what they concede in spatiality, they more than make up for with their near-faultless tuning and tone. Clean, natural, balanced, realistic.

They marry the precision and clean, pristine quality of the classic Beyers together with the rich, organic, full-bodied tonality of the Sennheiser HD6xx series. They tilt towards neither the warm/dark/lush/syrupy end of the spectrum, nor cool/lean/dry/analytical. At the risk of veering into hyperbole, these come as close to a veritable Goldilocks tonally to my ears.

There’s no peaky, metallic, ear-shearing treble to be found here. No cold, steely mids. Mids have proper body and presence. Bass is robust and vigorous with plenty of heft and weight and excellent control and extension.

Technically, they easily compete with the Sundara in terms of clarity and resolve, and easily outperform the HD 650 in just about every metric I care for. While they lack the Sundara’s vast, open stage, they bring forth all the qualities I’ve missed in a good dynamic headphone: punch, slam, body, richness, and rhythm.

All this to say: these deserve serious attention, and I’m surprised that more praise hasn’t been heaped upon them.
Do you listen to them un-amped?

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #501 of 898
I was just wondering... Anyone can perhaps detail to some extent the hands-on difference in the bass response between the 900s and the 700s, beyond the mere fact that one model is open back and the other is closed?

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #502 of 898
Do you listen to them un-amped?

Spotify Premium on Mac > iFi ZEN DAC Signature > Gustard H10 (1.4W @ 300 ohms / 2.7W @ 50 ohms)

To be fair, the DT 900 are pretty easily driven - I have the gain on my amp set to -12dB with them and there's plenty of volume.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #504 of 898
I've thought about this too, my guess is the position they're in. People looking for headphones see these, and they ask themselves mm I can either get these, or get the DT990's which are half the price and have 15k stellar reviews on amazon. I feel like where the DT1990 and DT1770 are clearly positioned as a higher end entry, it's not as clear with the 900's and 700's. What are they? They 'appear', or seem marketed as, DT770 and DT990 level. The way they look and are built, but also their price tag is not far enough removed to really feel like you're buying something premium in comparison, and the only immediately obvious added value is the removable cable.

At least that's what I'm figuring. I don't necessarily agree with those things, for instance imo even the DT770, 880 and 990 are premium headphones in sound and build (I've owned or still own all of them). Just trying to figure out the issue of general perception these headphones are faced with, cause I do think there is something interesting going on there. It's also a question I'm personally stuck with though. I own the DT770's, it's not obvious to me that I want or need the 700's.
As for product positioning, judging by the discounts that Beyer keeps on doing on the 770s, the 700 are going to replace them. Same for the 900 with the 990s.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #505 of 898
I found this comparison quite interesting:
Dt 700 -
Dt 900 -

To me the 700 is more controlled, precise and vivid across genres, sharp and the bass is a bit less boomy, while in the 900 seems to try to bleed a bit all over the place.
For what is possible to distinguish, anyway. Which means that I'd rather go for the 700.
Thanks to Zeos.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #506 of 898
I found this comparison quite interesting:
Dt 700 -
Dt 900 -

To me the 700 is more controlled, precise and vivid across genres, sharp and the bass is a bit less boomy, while in the 900 seems to try to bleed a bit all over the place.
For what is possible to distinguish, anyway. Which means that I'd rather go for the 700.
Thanks to Zeos.

Sound demos really are not indicative of anything IMO. They should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, even more salt than reviews of said headphones.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #507 of 898
Sound demos really are not indicative of anything IMO. They should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, even more salt than reviews of said headphones.
Exactly. I don't know where this new trend came from, but there are so many variables in this equation that the result is totally useless. I ignore YouTube reviews as a whole, but those including recordings of the headphones are the most suspect ones.

I understand that many people can't try them out and want some help with their decision... but I think that kind of -- what should I even call it? -- is no help at all.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #508 of 898
Exactly. I don't know where this new trend came from, but there are so many variables in this equation that the result is totally useless. I ignore YouTube reviews as a whole, but those including recordings of the headphones are the most suspect ones.

I understand that many people can't try them out and want some help with their decision... but I think that kind of -- what should I even call it? -- is no help at all.
Well, hold your horses here... I didn't state that anyone should decide on the basis of this or such videos. I also find most YT review useless, but I just thought it could be of interest for somebody.
I also gave "grain of salt" and the lot for granted, obviuosly...

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #509 of 898
Well, hold your horses here... I didn't state that anyone should decide on the basis of this or such videos. I also find most YT review useless, but I just thought it could be of interest for somebody.
I also gave "grain of salt" and the lot for granted, obviuosly...
Na, that wasn't meant as a personal attack in any way -- sorry if it sounded like that. I'm just very tired of that constant source of nonsense called YouTube...

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #510 of 898
I find sound demos help quite a lot in relative terms, so not much great with a demo of just one set of headphones, but when a group are compared I find it helpful to gauge roughly where each sits in terms of presentation. Of course, if I have one of the headphones in the comparison then that is even more informative. I've found this useful and pretty accurate when deciding whether to buy and try for myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back