New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #256 of 898
I think the big problem is that the price increase on the 700 and 900 compared to the 770 and 990 is actually really substantial, so to defeat the 770's and 990's from a value standpoint is impossible given what we're learning about the difference in audio quality between the generations. This has historically been a thing with the 770 and 990 - their outstanding value. It is sometimes said about affordable headphones that they punch way above their price point - I'd say that's never been more true than with those old Beyers. It seems the new gen falls in an area where they would only be recommended if people didn't like the 770 or 990 but somehow still want a similar Beyer. So.. who would those people be? People who really need a detachable cable? People who don't want to EQ a treble peak? Am I being too harsh?
As far as I remember, the MSRP for the 770 and 990 was about the same as the DT900/DT700 are now. But as you pointed out correctly, they are on the market for a very long time. The prices will go down significantly, look at the DT1990. MSRP was 600 Euros, but you can get it for ~430 Euros. And even if beyerdynamic says, it is a discount, it is not because the price is 430 Euros for a very long time now and it won't increase again. Same will be true for the DT900 in a couple of months. At least I think so.

But you are right, the DT900/DT700 are no real successors, because they sound very different. For me, they sound better because I never liked the Beyer peak, but a lot of people will miss something.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #257 of 898
Its iust the usual reviewers that have their tastes, i have the K371 too and they lack seriously the fun factor, such a boring can,
The 700 are way more enjoyable to me, next to something like T900ii they are less detailed and flatter overall which is totally expected function and price wise.
I am truly surprised some people don't like them to the point of returning, I can't think of a better closed cans for the money.
A few urealistic expectations perhaps??😆

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #258 of 898
Its iust the usual reviewers that have their tastes, i have the K371 too and they lack seriously the fun factor, such a boring can,
The 700 are way more enjoyable to me, next to something like T900ii they are less detailed and flatter overall which is totally expected function and price wise.
I am truly surprised some people don't like them to the point of returning, I can't think of a better closed cans for the money.
A few urealistic expectations perhaps??😆
A few urealistic expectations perhaps?.. Nope would´t say so... that's why I got a 770/250 ohm and the 700... to try side by side. As I said earlier, the DT700 is not a audiofile product. It's like listening to a Shur headphones... or a HD600, or any other studio workhorse. It just does not have the wide soundstage and killer imaging that typically seen in headphones meant for audiofiles. Not saying studio headphones can't be used, and they are all bad and all... I hope you get what I mean.

The DT770/250 has wide soundstage and better imaging. - and if thats what you are looking for in a headphone, then don't buy the DT700. If you want a "neutral" headphone, then please do buy it...

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #259 of 898
A few urealistic expectations perhaps?.. Nope would´t say so... that's why I got a 770/250 ohm and the 700... to try side by side. As I said earlier, the DT700 is not a audiofile product. It's like listening to a Shur headphones... or a HD600, or any other studio workhorse. It just does not have the wide soundstage and killer imaging that typically seen in headphones meant for audiofiles. Not saying studio headphones can't be used, and they are all bad and all... I hope you get what I mean.

The DT770/250 has wide soundstage and better imaging. - and if thats what you are looking for in a headphone, then don't buy the DT700. If you want a "neutral" headphone, then please do buy it...
I get it, but i personally don't divide sounds to audiophile, studio etc, i have experience with way too many headphones and remember 770 i enjoyed but were definitely not ok in the treble, these new ones are massively improved.
On other hand being a reviewer is a tricky business and in my opinion some are trying to be more clever than needs, always try to hear for yourself and even more importantly don't take those guys too seriously..

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #260 of 898
Tip:
If you find these Senn + Beyer Frankenstein's to be honky or lacking in clarity just swap the foam discs.

Attachments

• DT 900 Pro X Foam Disc 01.jpg
    DT 900 Pro X Foam Disc 01.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #261 of 898
I thought these new Beyer headphones where a Massdrop (or Drop, as it's now known as) collaboration until I seen the DT 700 Pro X on Amazon UK, I breathed a sigh of relief, lol. Because that means these are a brand new, original headphone, developed by a team of engineers who know what they are doing and not some cheap knock off of a more expensive product. I would totally buy the DT 700 Pro X if I new it was close in sound to my all time favourite Beyer closed back; the T70 250 ohm. Time to do more research on them and find out if I think they are for me.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #262 of 898
Very good review for a general sound idea b/n the 2

Thanks for posting this. Judging by this guy's review, it seems to me that the DT 700 Pro X and the DT 900 Pro X are the replacements for the DT770 and DT990. If so, then this is a massive announcement/release from Beyerdynamic! The DT990 and DT770 have stood the test of time, being the first choice (or only choice) of preference of many recording engineers, producers and mixing/mastering engineers. Proving to be an absolute legend within the studio environment, for what?! 25 - 30 years?! and now it seems they are finally being replaced with the introduction of the DT 700 Pro X and 900 Pro X. By that guy in the video's description of the sound signature/quality of both the 700 Pro X and 900 Pro X, it also seems like there isn't much difference in sound between them and the DT770 and DT990, and that is also a good thing. Hmm I might buy one, or both! hmm what to do.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #263 of 898
Proving to be an absolute legend within the studio environment, for what?! 25 - 30 years?! and now it seems they are finally being replaced with the introduction of the DT 700 Pro X and 900 Pro X.
35 years. They were released in 1985 according to this historical information

https://journeymantoolbox.pt/2017/05/02/a-glimpse-in-to-the-history-of-beyerdynamic-headphones/

According to the article, there was also a DT 900 in 1970. Which suggests another reason for the Pro X part of the name (in addition to signaling these are studio headphones).

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #264 of 898
35 years. They were released in 1985 according to this historical information

https://journeymantoolbox.pt/2017/05/02/a-glimpse-in-to-the-history-of-beyerdynamic-headphones/

According to the article, there was also a DT 900 in 1970. Which suggests another reason for the Pro X part of the name (in addition to signaling these are studio headphones).
Thanks for correcting me. 35 years, whoa! I must admit I do wonder from time to time, if Beyerdynamic plan on ceasing production of the DT770 and DT900 at all. I thought these two new headphones (DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X) where a sign that Beyerdynamic where about to pull the plug on the DT770 and DT990 but since you've pointed out the existence of a DT 900 in 1970, maybe not. Time will tell, I guess.

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #265 of 898
Thanks for correcting me. 35 years, whoa! I must admit I do wonder from time to time, if Beyerdynamic plan on ceasing production of the DT770 and DT900 at all. I thought these two new headphones (DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X) where a sign that Beyerdynamic where about to pull the plug on the DT770 and DT990 but since you've pointed out the existence of a DT 900 in 1970, maybe not. Time will tell, I guess.

I would bet as long as people keep buying them, why would they pull the plug?

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #266 of 898
I would bet as long as people keep buying them, why would they pull the plug?
One thing Beyer does is they seem to keep their old models running for a long time. They do refresh the models from time to time, old DT 880/990’s are quite different headphones than current ones. I mean the DT 100 came out during the 1960’s and you can still buy them new. The DT 48 was made from the 1930’s till 2012.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #268 of 898
They were building the DT48 for decades… I think that model started out in 1937
Yeah but don’t think it was sold to the public till the late 40’s or so. I believe it was used for military/spying usage when it came out. Having owned a variation of the driver, I’d say it’s an incredibly capable driver. The DT 48’s do things sonically I haven’t heard any other headphone do, only becomes more apparent if you mod and eq them. But yeah it Beyer coming out with a new mainline headphone like this with a new driver is actually quite a big deal for Beyer. It’s a big reason I want to listen to them as I’m quite a Beyer fan.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #270 of 898
Also no one seems to mention the fit of the 700/900 pro x. Seems the pad inner diameter is smaller, so they're sitting mostly ontop of your ears instead of how the 990 etc fit was, where you could mostly cover around your ears unless you had huge wings.

Ofcourse depends on ear size but given my experience with the 990, these are nowhere near as comfortable. I returned mine due to a faulty cable and have been enjoying the 560s, which seems more detailed with sparkle but I miss the impact of the 900 pro x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back