New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #242 of 898
Guess what I just got :)
IMG_20211102_132915065.jpg

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #243 of 898
Glad he separetes audiophile gear from work equipment. Some people here like to throw everything in to one "headphone" bucket. It is not like that and DMS nicely pointed that out. Hope some people learn from this before they throw clueless words on tuning or build/looks of specific HP.
I agree

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #244 of 898
IMG_20211102_142140576.jpg
IMG_20211102_142110791.jpg
IMG_20211102_133245773.jpg

So, I'm sorry that I dont have the time to write a review right now. But to keep things short in a comparison between the two:

DMS is 1000% right. DT700 pro x is NOT a audiofile product.

• It's soundstage is really small in comparison.
  • Image is “flat” has no height – and everything plays in your head.
  • Imaging is maybe 30% of the DT770 250 ohm.
  • Vocals are forward – think HD600
  • It has more Bass for some reason….
  • Treble beyond 12-13K is non to be found.
  • Less “air”
  • Much less separation between instruments. Small things tend to get lost in mix. ( again compared to DT770 )
  • Earcubs are smaller and not as deep
  • Is not as bright as DT770
  • No beye peak.
  • Cable is microphonic, really bad microphonic...
But darn, I want to like them... but.. it's just hard when litsening back to back

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #245 of 898
IMG_20211102_142140576.jpgIMG_20211102_142110791.jpgIMG_20211102_133245773.jpg

So, I'm sorry that I dont have the time to write a review right now. But to keep things short in a comparison between the two:

• Less “air”
  • Much less separation between instruments. Small things tend to get lost in mix. ( again compared to DT770 )
  • No beye peak.
But darn, I want to like them... but.. it's just hard when litsening back to back
Yea I returned mine I like the tuning and those pads. But for sure it is no replacement or better version of the DT 770 it is however a different beyer flavor.

Glad he separetes audiophile gear from work equipment. Some people here like to throw everything in to one "headphone" bucket. It is not like that and DMS nicely pointed that out. Hope some people learn from this before they throw clueless words on tuning or build/looks of specific HP.
Do you really expect them to learn? I mean PRO is literally in the name of the headphones telling you there intended purpose

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #246 of 898
Agree, and same here... Mine is also going back. Different is the right word. It's no longer targeting the diffuse field target curve, and that's very clear. It's very "Harmon like". My dad also gave it a listen, his first reaction was "that's alot of bass" following by "it sounds very closed"... Kinda the same impressions I had. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it just does nat have that "thing" where you go :"wow, that just sounds so good". It does not make me want to listen to all my albums again. It just makes me go mahh, "I've head that before..."

Oh, and regarding the name "pro", they also call the 770 250 ohm, "pro"... It doesn't say that muh really...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #247 of 898
IMG_20211102_142140576.jpgIMG_20211102_142110791.jpgIMG_20211102_133245773.jpg

• Less “air”
  • No beye peak.
Similar to my overall findings with the 900 Pro X, in comparison with my DT 990's (250 & 600 ohm). No sparkle, too hard and 'shouty' for my liking and, yes I think I know what you mean about them playing in your head....sound a bit compressed almost, with the midrange dominating and reduced dynamics. I've tried to like them for music, but I just can't. I think the TYGR's struck the best balance so far...close to the 990's but with just enough smoothing in the treble to make them easier to listen to, whilst still retaining most of the (perceived) detail.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #248 of 898
Similar to my overall findings with the 900 Pro X, in comparison with my DT 990's (250 & 600 ohm). No sparkle, too hard and 'shouty' for my liking and, yes I think I know what you mean about them playing in your head....sound a bit compressed almost, with the midrange dominating and reduced dynamics. I've tried to like them for music, but I just can't. I think the TYGR's struck the best balance so far...close to the 990's but with just enough smoothing in the treble to make them easier to listen to, whilst still retaining most of the (perceived) detail.

Honestly that worries me, the reason I generally favored Beyers and I don't have the HD 600/650's anymore is because I found the Senns too shouty and hard sounding. The compressed sound and lacking dynamics worries me some too. I guess I'll stick with the Tesla Beyers.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #249 of 898
Shouty, Hard and compressed are words I definitely wouldn’t use to describe the DT700. While I always liked the original DT770/80, it’s rather distant midrange was always a point I liked less about it. To me the DT700 offers a more balanced treble response as well

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #250 of 898
Shouty, Hard and compressed are words I definitely wouldn’t use to describe the DT700. While I always liked the original DT770/80, it’s rather distant midrange was always a point I liked less about it. To me the DT700 offers a more balanced treble response as well
Please remember that Im compaierng it to the DT770/250, where the mids are very flat.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #251 of 898
For the avoidance of any doubt, I was referring to the 900 Pro X and not the 700 Pro X, which I have not heard. Also, these observations were largely in comparison to my 990 Pro and TYGR's and only how I personally find them. I also find the AKG K371's shouty and everybody else seems to love them, so quite possibly my tastes are not aligned with the majority.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #252 of 898
Please remember that Im compaierng it to the DT770/250, where the mids are very flat.
Unfortunately I’ve never heard the 250 ohm variant myself, so this is a valid point when comparing signatures. The 80ohm version was always a bit U-shaped to me. Yet shouty/hard still seems rather harsh as a characterization… these are just words that never came to my mind when hearing the DT700.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I was referring to the 900 Pro X and not the 700 Pro X, which I have not heard. Also, these observations were largely in comparison to my 990 Pro and TYGR's and only how I personally find them. I also find the AKG K371's shouty and everybody else seems to love them, so quite possibly my tastes are not aligned with the majority.
The K371 I‘d also describe as having a slight tendency for shoutiness, but I’ve not heard the DT900 — so that’s another valid point to mention.
I do know the 990 though, which was not my cup of tea.

To both of you: I hope my comment did not come across as criticizing your taste. It was just words that did not come to my mind, but that of course implies a family signature between DT700 and DT900 which may not be there.

While I’m not much into open headphones I think I’ll just try to give the DT900 a listen :) with the DT700 I’m very happy I have to say. That may well have to do with Harman Target catering to my needs as a lover of modern/electronic music such as EDM and Deep House, where space is virtual anyway and therefore not that important to me…

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #253 of 898
Unfortunately I’ve never heard the 250 ohm variant myself, so this is a valid point when comparing signatures. The 80ohm version was always a bit U-shaped to me. Yet shouty/hard still seems rather harsh as a characterization… these are just words that never came to my mind when hearing the DT700.

The K371 I‘d also describe as having a slight tendency for shoutiness, but I’ve not heard the DT900 — so that’s another valid point to mention.
I do know the 990 though, which was not my cup of tea.

To both of you: I hope my comment did not come across as criticizing your taste. It was just words that did not come to my mind, but that of course implies a family signature between DT700 and DT900 which may not be there.

While I’m not much into open headphones I think I’ll just try to give the DT900 a listen :) with the DT700 I’m very happy I have to say. That may well have to do with Harman Target catering to my needs as a lover of modern/electronic music such as EDM and Deep House, where space is virtual anyway and therefore not that important to me…
No worries, I didn't take anything as a criticism...it's a really interesting discussion.

What I'm observing here and in various YouTube comments is that most people who have heard the 900 Pro X and given their impressions have actually described it pretty similarly, though some like those characteristics and use favourable words/descriptions and others dislike them and use more negative language....but objectively both camps are in broad agreement. I really want to like them, as I think in terms of build they are a step up from the 990 and even the TYGR, just not quite to my tastes in terms of how they sound.

Also I can add that I'd pretty much got used to the 990's brightness and they had become my 'daily drivers', but after swapping back after listening to the 900's for a couple of weeks, the 990's have reverted (in my brain) to sounding super bright....but they do give me that detail again. The TYGR's, for me, are now the best sounding of my Beyers, as they seem to retain most of the detail whilst taming the top end a little at the same time.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #254 of 898
For the avoidance of any doubt, I was referring to the 900 Pro X and not the 700 Pro X, which I have not heard. Also, these observations were largely in comparison to my 990 Pro and TYGR's and only how I personally find them. I also find the AKG K370's shouty and everybody else seems to love them, so quite possibly my tastes are not aligned with the majority.
Upper mids are tricky they can make a headphone sound too shouty to some and others don’t mind at all. I’ll just have to listen to these sometime and see if I find them above or below my threshold. I’m just used to not having to worry about that with Beyers so it did dampen my enthusiasm some.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #255 of 898
Mm, the more reviews are coming out, the more negative ones I'm seeing. Right at release people were raving about both the 900 and 700. Mind that this isn't a criticism - if people don't like it, they don't like it, that's totally fine. I just find it an interesting trend to observe.

I think the big problem is that the price increase on the 700 and 900 compared to the 770 and 990 is actually really substantial, so to defeat the 770's and 990's from a value standpoint is impossible given what we're learning about the difference in audio quality between the generations. This has historically been a thing with the 770 and 990 - their outstanding value. It is sometimes said about affordable headphones that they punch way above their price point - I'd say that's never been more true than with those old Beyers. It seems the new gen falls in an area where they would only be recommended if people didn't like the 770 or 990 but somehow still want a similar Beyer. So.. who would those people be? People who really need a detachable cable? People who don't want to EQ a treble peak? Am I being too harsh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back