New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #136 of 898
when i bought the dt990 premium 600 ohm i was devastated by the rolled off highs dulling the sound. seems like they did it to the 900 pro x kinda like the dt880 rolling off the highs. wish they would stop doing it. people think extended highs sound harsh or shrill so they dampen the hell out of it to the point it sounds veiled or at the very least blunted or dull. losing sparkle and shimmer kills the musicality to the point i dont enjoy them at all.

Notice how this guy wont stop ranting about the highs lol:

I did a similar thing

The highs above 8kHz sound really good to me on the 900 Pro X, quite detailed and airy and actually better in that regard than most headphones I've tried. It's mostly the 5 - 7 kHz range that is too forward for my liking, by like 5 dB. But the good thing is it's a very broad and wide bump, so no sharp peaks anywhere. The 900 Pro X is pretty smooth actually. This is coming from a Sennheiser-head, lol. But I know you like the DT990, so yeah I'm guessing you'll find the 900 Pro X too dark/rolled off.

My main complaint is the imaging/soundstage is not much better than the HD650 + 58X and other HD6 models, and it kinda sounds like a semi-open rather than a fully open headphone. The Sundara sounds a lot more open and wide, even if it doesn't have as good treble. Guess that's to be expected from looking at the cup + driver design.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #137 of 898
I'm 99% sure at this point the dt900 pro x are blunted dt990 250 ohm pro. and in that regard beyer already has a lot similar to that tuning maybe black edition dt880 or tygr or premium dt990. all the same tuning of a bass boost high mid scoop and rolled off highs above 7khz more in line with harman than diffuse field treble. certainly not gonna spend 300 dollars for that tuning just because theyre easier to drive or have a detachable cable. they also look pretty meh. dt990 pro 250 ohm will forever be wild and free in the treble in comparison. but yeah measurements will confirm it but ive seen enough statements and the dt700 tuning measurements gimps the highs in the same fashion so yeah...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #138 of 898
I‘ve received my pair of DT-700 yesterday, and while I did not have much time with them I really Ike what I hear so far. They seem to reach quite deep while presenting a very clear and rather fast bass — very nice. Treble is a bit tamed down vs DT770/80 and voices seem more present. I like their sound signature more than the DT-1770, though that’s from unreliable memory…
In reality they look at least as good as in the photos. Clamp is a bit high, but the new pads are extremely comfortable and the cups a bit deeper than with the DT770. There is some cable noise unfortunately.
Cables are nicely finished, with a screw-on adapter on both of them (long and short cable).

I was fully prepared to send them back I have to admit… but I think they’ll be allowed to stay. Nice evolutionary step.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #141 of 898
I‘ve received my pair of DT-700 yesterday, and while I did not have much time with them I really Ike what I hear so far. They seem to reach quite deep while presenting a very clear and rather fast bass — very nice. Treble is a bit tamed down vs DT770/80 and voices seem more present. I like their sound signature more than the DT-1770, though that’s from unreliable memory…
In reality they look at least as good as in the photos. Clamp is a bit high, but the new pads are extremely comfortable and the cups a bit deeper than with the DT770. There is some cable noise unfortunately.
Cables are nicely finished, with a screw-on adapter on both of them (long and short cable).

I was fully prepared to send them back I have to admit… burning think they’ll be allowed to stay. Nice evolutionary step.
Mine arriving any moment now, i already know i will have similar impressions to you,will likely send them to recable for balanced✌️😊

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #142 of 898
Treble is a bit tamed down vs DT770/80 and voices seem more present.
Exactly how dt990 pro 250 ohm sounded vs dt990 600 ohm premium.

I was like wow the premium 600 ohm sound less harsh and things are more clear and present. Both things can be considered a upgrade until the music starts playing and they sound duller and clunkier and not musical at all.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #144 of 898
Testing mine for 2 days now and comparing them to my 1990s, the treble is smoother, they got a bit more in the lower, quiet punchy with some songs. I'm somewhat impressed by the soundstage. Sounds wider than my old nighthawks I had (iirc).
Thinking about keeping them, the only issue I got is, that the earpads are quiet small in diameter (got large ears).

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #145 of 898
Received the 900 Pro X today. Compared to my 990's (both 250 and 600 ohm), my very initial and somewhat crude impressions are that the bass is about the same, the mids are less scooped (less 'v') and the treble is distinctly reduced. Feels rolled off compared to the 990's, but still more present than say the harman target kind of level. Certainly less 'v' shaped sounding than my 990's or 770's, for that matter. Would be good to see a frequency response graph, but I can't find one yet.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #146 of 898
Received the 900 Pro X today. Compared to my 990's (both 250 and 600 ohm), my very initial and somewhat crude impressions are that the bass is about the same, the mids are less scooped (less 'v') and the treble is distinctly reduced. Feels rolled off compared to the 990's, but still more present than say the harman target kind of level. Certainly less 'v' shaped sounding than my 990's or 770's, for that matter. Would be good to see a frequency response graph, but I can't find one yet.
Just wanted to add that the tonality shifts quite a lot as you move the cups backwards and forwards on your head (obviously ignoring the extremes), not so much up and down. Yes, I know they all do this to some extent, but it's probably more noticeable with these than some others. Also, there is something in the mids that I don't like....the upper mids sound too forward for my liking....so, depending on the recording, some things, like drums can come across too strongly and sound hard. This is probably just me...a personal preference...as I felt the same about the AKG K371 and nobody else seemed to mention that! Guess I prefer v shaped.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #147 of 898
Just wanted to add that the tonality shifts quite a lot as you move the cups backwards and forwards on your head (obviously ignoring the extremes), not so much up and down. Yes, I know they all do this to some extent, but it's probably more noticeable with these than some others. Also, there is something in the mids that I don't like....the upper mids sound too forward for my liking....so, depending on the recording, some things, like drums can come across too strongly and sound hard. This is probably just me...a personal preference...as I felt the same about the AKG K371 and nobody else seemed to mention that! Guess I prefer v shaped.
Feel the same about the upper mid. They are forward, for some recording the guitars are right in your face. On the other note, I love the aggressiveness they add to the drums. That is something I like about the beyers the drum attack and weight overall.

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #148 of 898
Got the DT 700 Pro X to try. They were just sent back this morning. Great fit, ear cups extend farther enough that all the way down they just barely fit my long head. 90% of headphones don't do that, and their older versions didn't quite reach. Very comfortable except for the clamp but they can be bent to resolve that enough. They are better sounding than the DT 770 (all OHM versions) to me tonality wise. More bass that goes deeper, a little more mids, highs are slightly tamer. That said, still not right for me. Others could find their sound appealing. The bass isn't bloated per-se. It's that there isn't enough true low mid to midrange. It makes them still sound scooped and I'm wanting to turn it up to compensate but the bass and the highs then overwhelm the sound. They also are less spacious than the DT 770 80 ohm from what I can recall.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #149 of 898
Got the DT 700 Pro X to try. They were just sent back this morning. Great fit, ear cups extend farther enough that all the way down they just barely fit my long head. 90% of headphones don't do that, and their older versions didn't quite reach. Very comfortable except for the clamp but they can be bent to resolve that enough. They are better sounding than the DT 770 (all OHM versions) to me tonality wise. More bass that goes deeper, a little more mids, highs are slightly tamer. That said, still not right for me. Others could find their sound appealing. The bass isn't bloated per-se. It's that there isn't enough true low mid to midrange. It makes them still sound scooped and I'm wanting to turn it up to compensate but the bass and the highs then overwhelm the sound. They also are less spacious than the DT 770 80 ohm from what I can recall.
the 4 bad spots of the dt770 series. bad compared to 990. the isolation isnt worth the inferior response.
bnmnbm.jpg

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #150 of 898

This is my main issue with my DT770's as well. Compared to my Fidelios they lack that grunt and bite in the midrange that makes guitars and vocals an enjoyable listen. They are usually slightly reserved, smooth and clean sounding absolutely and I don't find objective fault here, but it doesn't really "kick ass". I understand this is a really personal thing. But for instance the Alice in Chains unplugged set, on the Fidelios it arrests me the moment Nutshell kicks off. The acoustic guitar is just so huge and vibrant sounding. And then Layne starts singing and I just wanna turn it up cause his voice is that gripping. On the 770's I never found the same engagement sadly, despite many attempts at EQ and even using toilet paper.

I was hoping the 700's would "solve" some of this since I desperately need closed cans and there are a LOT of times where the 770's actually sound great, but looks like I'll have to keep searching, at least it's not worth giving up my 770's for the 700's then. Thank you for your impressions, it's interesting to me that you raise the exact same issue I experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back