New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #106 of 898
Having just heard about these two from a Beyerdynamic mail, I ordered the 700 despite my self-imposed buying limit... They look really nice, the pads, the gimbals and the cups more than the headband. Nice to see newly developed drivers in a headphone built in Germany. Should be with me tomorrow.

Not sure why you’re surprised as they did that with the more expensive DT 1770/1990 Pro as well. The only reason the DT 177X Go has 4 pin is due to Massdrops influence and it’s not really marketed as a professional headphone either. It seems balanced isn’t a priority for Beyers professionally marketed headphones, as to why I’m not exactly sure. Maybe someone in the industry will have more insight there.
Balanced headphone connections is not a thing in professional settings... so going with already established 3-pin mini-XLR is an obvious step I guess.
I think it should be rather easy to replace the connector with a 4-pin variant.

I don't care about the whys or whyfors - between their terrible tuning choices and failure to recognize the audiophile community runs balanced, Beyer keeps certain they will never get my money.
Their main audience is the pro audio community, as someone already mentioned in this thread. Their bread-and-butter products are e.g. the DT-770 -- there was an uproar in their customer base when the DT-1770 was introduced. They even issued an official statement that the DT-770 will still be available and not replaced with the DT-1770... and while the more robust headband with the easy to change padding is not brought over to the new 700 X, I still think this new model might eventually replace the DT-770. On the other hand... studios move slowly, and price is an important factor: they don't buy one piece, but many at once.
This was the narrative Beyerdynamic put out with the DT-1770: this model is for sound engineers that have one headphone for themselves, while the DT-770 stays in their portfolio as the choice for tracking purposes (i.e. studio purchases of multiple units).

The audiophile community is a target market for them, and they do cater to their needs with other models like the T1 and the T5 (both of which can incidentally be used balanced). But they still consider those markets as separate, and have different models that are targeting specific markets to better serve their respective wants and needs.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #108 of 898
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #109 of 898
That text does sound reassuring, but majorhifi is all over the place with their reviews for me... I don't see much consistency, sometimes they match with my own impressions, other times... not even close. So I'm still waiting :wink:
Yeah I don't take them too seriously too but this along another video review saying great bass and fun tuning plus its Beyer and i know what to expect more or less, i always knew they'll update the venerable 770, so i think im getting the idea.
I obviously totally don't need them in the same way i hardly touch my HD25s, but as a headphone enthusiast and for my journey historys sake i had to get these.
They're going to the museum😀👍

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #110 of 898
Yeah I don't take them too seriously too but this along another video review saying great bass and fun tuning plus its Beyer and i know what to expect more or less, i always knew they'll update the venerable 770, so i think im getting the idea.
I obviously totally don't need them in the same way i hardly touch my HD25s, but as a headphone enthusiast and for my journey historys sake i had to get these.
They're going to the museum😀👍
That sums it up pretty well for me:wink:
Can’t say I need them either… but I just had to check them out. New pad design… that really came as a surprise.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #111 of 898
Got my DT900 earlier - very early days obviously (they clamp harder than Beyers I've tried so far), but after a quick back to back, they definitely achieve what I wanted (as a Tygr 300 replacement). Don't have the feeling of scooped mids the Tygrs gave me and as far as the treble is concerned, they actually sound less brittle than the Tygrs to my ears so I'm guessing the traditional Beyer peak has either been left out of these or has moved to a part of the freq range that I haven't picked up on yet :p

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #112 of 898
This may sound ridiculous but I am going to wait for some freq charts. I know it doesn't say everything, but I am very sensitive to the 1 to 4K range, this is the range that can cause the most fatigue, due to glare and hardness. Neutral in that range is fine, but preferably a dip, at least in the 1 and 2K range.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #113 of 898
This may sound ridiculous but I am going to wait for some freq charts. I know it doesn't say everything, but I am very sensitive to the 1 to 4K range, this is the range that can cause the most fatigue, due to glare and hardness. Neutral in that range is fine, but preferably a dip, at least in the 1 and 2K range.
https://i.imgur.com/110DX0E.jpeg

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #114 of 898
Thanks. That looks promising.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #115 of 898
Thanks. That looks promising.
gfngfngfn.jpg

On the plus side at least it still has the dt770 sound signature which gives me faith in the dt900 being similar to the dt990.
dt770:
ring-replaced-by-3mm-felt.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #118 of 898
The same terrible dip at 4 kHz from the DT770.

We can see why Beyerdynamic never show their own measurements nor send their models to measure them...

Can't expect much better from the DT 900.
dt990 clean up over time (pad burn in) so if they managed to make them sound good out of the box that would be swell. I just hope they didn't dampen the highs too much cause i like the shimmery musical sparkle it has.
u67utyu.jpg

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #119 of 898
We've removed some discussion that was veering away from the DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X headphones from the thread. We ask that everyone please keep the discussion related to beyerdynamic's new models, and please remember to be awesome to each other in the thread. Thank you to everyone who kept posts within the guidelines, we greatly appreciate it.

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #120 of 898
I'm the one who measured the DT 700 Pro X, and I also wrote a first impressions here on the headphone subreddit if anyone here would like to read it (especially for my more subjective opinions): https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...t_look_at_the_beyerdynamic_dt_700_pro_x_with/

A bit scared to join the conversation, but I thought I can probably answer some questions regarding the DT 700 Pro X - well at least whatever I can. I've already returned them if that says anything about the headphones.

Regarding the 4kHz dip (and measurements aside), I can confirm that there is a dip here with my ears and an online tone generator. It is pretty severe as it just drops off. Whether or not one is sensitive to that dip is dependent on the person.

The MiniDSP EARS measuring system does indeed show artifacting around 3-5 kHz in most if not all headphones that are measured on it. It's a hobbyist's rig and although it is not be totally accurate, it gives a fair idea of what a headphone sounds like especially in comparison to another headphone measured on the same rig.

Sennheiser.jpg

The MiniDSP EARS as I mentioned in my original Reddit post and in the Imgur measurement link shows artifacting around 3-5 kHz. You can also see it here on the HD600, HD650, and HD800. I picked these three since a lot of us are familiar with how they sound like. Now we (hopefully) know that the 3-5 kHz region on those 3 headphones does not sound like it looks like here (or really from 3kHz on up if I'm being critical on the EARS). I should also note on the HD800 in particular here shows a peak at ~7.5kHz which is incorrect and that's also a limitation of the MiniDSP EARS in its inaccuracy in measuring the treble. The HD800 is infamous for its 6kHz peak.

Because of the artifacting in this region, it is very hard for me to compare headphones in this particular region solely based off the MiniDSP EARS measurements. Having measured a fair bit of headphones, I have an idea of what to expect in listening when I see other MiniDSP EARS measurements but I wouldn't say I'm 100% confident. The artifacting is bad enough that I would say to disregard the 3-5 kHz region with MiniDSP EARS measurements especially if you're not familiar with the system.

In conclusion and going back to the DT 700 Pro X, the MiniDSP EARS shows a fairly big dip/null around 4 kHz on the DT 700 Pro X. Even with the MiniDSP EARS artifacting, I do think the null there is actually there when I used an online tone generator.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back